Milhouse

What's going on at Microsoft

MCRMJ    2

I'll be picking the Band 2 up, I've had every fitness tracker under the sun and the Apple Watch (lovely, but completely buggered my notifications up, battery life was abysmal), yet each one either lacked one particular feature or were over complicated in the wrong areas. As a fitness device that does a few smart things it looks great. Bit pricey though. 

I'm also tempted by the new 950XL, the iPhone has seriously tested my patience this last 12 months (Apple all round really, OSX has been awful for me on slightly older hardware, iOS has been unreliable and don't get me started on iCloud services).

The interest in the Surface Book seems to have been silly, selling out on pre-orders (though they don't actually say how many). I'd pick one up if I was in the market, the Surface Pro 3 was a very nice machine.

normal    346

I'll be picking the Band 2 up, I've had every fitness tracker under the sun and the Apple Watch (lovely, but completely buggered my notifications up, battery life was abysmal), yet each one either lacked one particular feature or were over complicated in the wrong areas. As a fitness device that does a few smart things it looks great. Bit pricey though. 

I'm also tempted by the new 950XL, the iPhone has seriously tested my patience this last 12 months (Apple all round really, OSX has been awful for me on slightly older hardware, iOS has been unreliable and don't get me started on iCloud services).

The interest in the Surface Book seems to have been silly, selling out on pre-orders (though they don't actually say how many). I'd pick one up if I was in the market, the Surface Pro 3 was a very nice machine.

I have to agree Mark. The Band 2 does look tempting, if they just dropped the prices. Apple's stuff no longer 'just works', and causes me no end of problems these days.

Also, have you seen the Lenovo Yoga 900? Looks mighty tasty...

kradcliffe    153

The Yoga 900 looks good. The predecessor (Yoga 3) was really terrible, but this could be a worthy replacement for the Yoga 2. Also a bit of competition for the new MS laptop.

Milhouse    355

Interesting article on Semi-Accurate about Microsoft, Continuum, and the continuing decline of the PC/laptop market.

In a nutshell: Continuum will kill PC and laptop sales. Mobile phones will be the new PC. Microsoft understands this. It actually has a genuine strategy that makes sense (although maybe not for the likes of Acer, Asus, Lenovo, Dell etc.).

jonmorris    184

Interesting article on Semi-Accurate about Microsoft, Continuum, and the continuing decline of the PC/laptop market.In a nutshell: Continuum will kill PC and laptop sales. Mobile phones will be the new PC. Microsoft understands this. It actually has a genuine strategy that makes sense (although maybe not for the likes of Acer, Asus, Lenovo, Dell etc.).

I do think Google MUST get in on this. With the amount of power on tap with a smartphone or tablet, and really liking the Atrix (2011) even if it was clunky and ahead of its time, this has to be the way ahead.

Microsoft does of course need to market the hell out of it, which could be where the problems lie. After all, Windows Phone for many is now tarnished and people who gave it a shot moved on.

Google has of course already done well selling the Chromecast to get media on to a TV, so should easily be able to get something going that consumers can understand for getting productivity apps on to a TV or monitor, and connecting keyboards/mice etc.

In fact, Google should have been ahead of the game. So should Apple, to be honest.

Milhouse    355

75% of Windows Mobile users switch to Android and iOS, according to the latest Ericsson Mobility Report (PDF, Nov 2015)

Only 20% buy another Windows Mobile phone (no, I'm not sure what happens with the other 5% - maybe they don't upgrade?)

Grim news for Microsoft, that lack of apps still biting hard. They fight so hard for new customers, then lose most of them at the next upgrade.

The only interesting feature of Windows Mobile (to me, anyway, though admittedly not enough reason to buy WM) is Continuum, and that's only offered on the flagship devices.

kradcliffe    153

Can't say I'm surprised. A platform that hasn't had a coherent strategy in it's lifetime is hardly likely to keep customers or attract new ones.

They should just ditch it and save money & further embarrassment.

normal    346

It is depressing that a company as large as Microsoft hasn't been able to build a cohesive ecosystem by now. Maybe they need Elop to make a reappearance for one more rousing burning platform speech.....

Problem is, given the mobile future seems to belong to Google and Apple, what will happen to Microsoft? Continuum has a valid point, but lacks a future if Microsoft can't persuade people to use mobile phones running Windows.

One last thing. Tim Cook keeps saying how Apple won't merge iOS and OSX. An iPhone/ iPad (iPad Pro anyone?) running both OS's would still be true to that sentiment, and would probably sell bucketloads. Imagine the mark ups on the accessories...

normal    346

A further thought. First sell it exclusively as only on the iPad Pro, then the iPad, then finally the iPhone. They could roll it out over a number of years and milk an idea for ages. Very Apple.

jonmorris    184

Can't say I'm surprised. A platform that hasn't had a coherent strategy in it's lifetime is hardly likely to keep customers or attract new ones.

They should just ditch it and save money & further embarrassment.

It all went wrong when Windows 8 turned out to be a nightmare.

I remember for ages that Microsoft believed that once Windows 8 came, the tiled UI and general look and feel would make people immediately buy a Windows Phone. It didn't happen as people hated Windows 8 so much.

It's not just the damage in lost sales, but the fact that developers said enough is enough. Now you have some key apps not being updated or supported, and new services not likely to ever appear.

It's the same problem that killed BlackBerry, Bada and all the other OSes that may look great for so many reasons but cannot ever hope to succeed without the apps. Sideloading or emulating Android apps just isn't a practical alternative either.

BlackBerry has realised this at last (but is it too late?) and maybe Microsoft is realising the importance of supporting Android and iOS. It would then make you wonder if it needs to bother carrying on with phones.

The only thing I can wonder is that even with its tiny marketshare, is that enough to warrant pressing on for the people that do want to use it? Perhaps with just a few key devices it can still be sustainable.

Milhouse    355

It's 5 years and 1 month since the launch of Windows Phone in Oct 2010... and it still has proportionally less market share than the Windows Mobile it replaced. Amazeballs.

And back in 2011, Gartner were predicting Windows Phone would have 20% market share in 2015. LOL, analysts...

Jimbo    19

Facebook, the first iOS port (that I am aware of) came out of beta today. Seems to be working well on Windows Mobile 10 so far. It's a nice upgrade from the previous version.

If (big if?) more Devs use the porting tools then this will be good for MS as well as the Devs, instantly boosting their potential install base by millions (billions?) of devices.

It is also the only way of running an iOS app on a laptop or a desktop ;)

RobM    195

It's 5 years and 1 month since the launch of Windows Phone in Oct 2010... and it still has proportionally less market share than the Windows Mobile it replaced. Amazeballs.And back in 2011, Gartner were predicting Windows Phone would have 20% market share in 2015. LOL, analysts...

Three stunning things in one post.You said 'amazeballs'You said 'LOL'You paid attention to something Gartner saidI think the last one is most shocking. Just...

Milhouse    355

Pretty consistent with other reviews I've read. All overwhelmingly negative, basically suggesting Microsoft should give up and switch to Android (or at least offer Android app compatibility). Continuum is a version or two away from being useful. Of course Microsoft will continue throwing money at the problem and continue plugging away, but it's hard to see how they can hope to become relevant in the mobile space with their current offerings.

satsuma    178

I see an awful lot of Good Technology on iOS/Android replacing BB.

I don't really like the Good client, at least not my employer's implementation of it. It's impossible to download and edit attachments.

I do see quite a few more Surface Pros around though.

I think the Surface Pro 4 cr@ps all over the iPad Pro as an enterprise device TBH - unless you're in creative.

My brother is lusting after a Surface Book - he's ordering one from America.

MSFT ought to give up on Windows for mobile but I believe we will see an official MSFT phone in 2016.

They would be better off doing it as an Android device with very deeply integrated MSFT services IMHO.

hal    120

We're trying to look at Citrix Worx as a BYOD solution as everyone has iPhones and we have all the enterprise licensing already in place.

Alternatively everyone gets WM10...

normal    346

You'd better hope Citrix works for you. :P

Thinking about it. It wouldn't hurt Apple to make a dual sim iPhone at this point for business people (and charge £100 more)

satsuma    178

I have a company trying to sell me a solution that allows complete separation between personal and private on same handset. There's a lot of players in this space.

Operators should be able to take the bull by the horns and offer two distinct MSISDNs linked to one IMSI. Orange used to offer a second line on the phone back in the day. And we've seen various offerings from handset manufacturers separating work/private areas of the handset.

I'm sure Apple (who seem to chasing the enterprise market hard) will present a "magical" solution soon enough.

normal    346

Apple's partnership with IBM should be able to produce something relevant. There's a lot of virtual phone numbers available now via apps but they're data dependant