normal

The iPhone 6 Thread

PE7ER    13

You will need to get use to but once mastered .... :)Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kradcliffe    152

This has been available on Android for ages with the MySMS app. Really cool being able to take calls on my laptop or tablet if the phone is elsewhere in the house. Android version won't be limited to just Apple devices either. Oh  .... and it was free :)

Simmotino    33

The Note 3 is 5.7" and there are a number of phablets around/coming with even bigger screens.

The Xperia Z2 is 5.2 inches.

A 5.5" iPhone is probably not going to look that huge - especially if there's almost no bezel.

Just because there are bigger 'phablets' out there, it doesn't preclude anyone holding up something akin to a small shoebox lid to their ear from looking like an idiot.

IMO, of course.

hal    120

Just because there are bigger 'phablets' out there, it doesn't preclude anyone holding up something akin to a small shoebox lid to their ear from looking like an idiot.IMO, of course.

as amply demonstrated by those self-same examples....;)

satsuma    178

Here's a guy holding up a Note 3 to his head, it's not *that* ridiculous :-)

Posted Image

People with a 5.5" phone will cope just fine.

Personally I always use a hands-free for any call longer than a couple of mins.

hal    120

Here's a guy holding up a Note 3 to his head, it's not *that* ridiculous :-)

Posted Image

People with a 5.5" phone will cope just fine.

Personally I always use a hands-free for any call longer than a couple of mins.

Yes but is he freakishly big?

Majed    51

That's one of the Phonearena guys right? Ray?

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk Pro

satsuma    178

No idea. Just randomly googled it. Is he a giant or some thing? :-)

Anyway, even normal sized people don't look so freakish holding a Note 3 up, seen it in real life.

The comedy pix on the interwebs are nearly always an unwieldy 7" (or bigger tablet) usually with a lot of bezel.

They belong with the infamous 'borderline racist' hands-free pic from years ago of the black guy with a phone fastened to his head.

RobM    195

I use a Note 3 daily and while it's a big phone, it's not stupidly big. It's only a touch bigger than a Sony Z1, which is why I swapped - bigger screen in pretty much the same size shell.

normal    346

Analysts are now saying (so take with a pinch of salt) that only the 5.5" version will have optical image stabilisation on the camera, and have sapphire glass. The 4.7" won't have either.

satsuma    178

It's from Ming-Chi Kuo who has a decent record so I am inclined to say it's got a good chance of being true.

I would welcome this because it would allow me to snobbily look down on people with an inferior iPhone *joke*

The iPhone 5S already punches above its weight for an 8MP and adding OIS to a presumably upgraded sensor, lens, software, etcetera should result in some really great pix.

I suspect that the 5.5" model is going to obscenely expensive. My 5S 64GB set me back over £700, I would not be surprised if the equivalent 5.5" was well over £800.

**edit**

I see other analysts have said this too.

Edited by satsuma

RobM    195

I stopped buying iPhones when they hit that sort of price level, it's just not worth it. If the 5.5" version does go over £800 - and I really won't be surprised if that does happen - I'm sure other people will walk away too. You could buy an iPad and a flagship Android or WP8.1 handset for the same money.

For how much longer can Apple charge this much, when Android partners are moving in the opposite direction and reducing their prices?

kradcliffe    152

As long as there is a coolness attached to their products and people actually think they are worth the money. 

When that goes their profit margin will collapse. 

satsuma    178

Apple hired Paul Deneve from YSL a while ago, he has a role working on 'special projects'.

Angela Arhendts, from Burberry, was a more high profile hire because she took over retail.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple had already hired other people from luxury goods brands and I predict they will continue to do so.

High margins give Wall Street confidence in Apple and I am sure they will continue to introduce more 'luxury' products inot their line up.

There is enough appetite out there for them it seems.

kradcliffe    152

But physically it's not a luxury product, is it? 

Seeing the way the edges chip, the paint coming off and screens cracking makes me think the opposite. Funny how both my cheap and nasty Samsung Note 2s are still in pristine condition after all this time.... 

satsuma    178

But physically it's not a luxury product, is it? Seeing the way the edges chip, the paint coming off and screens cracking makes me think the opposite. Funny how both my cheap and nasty Samsung Note 2s are still in pristine condition after all this time....

Well the guys Apple have hired are used to marketing luxury brands and a luxury brand/product is defined by relative price and aspirational value compared to a cheaper brand/product that fulfils same function.A Marc Jacobs handbag costs a lot more than a Marks & Spencer handbag but the M&S bag may have equal build quality and materials.A Skoda Yeti probably shares the same platform and components as an Audi Q5 but the Audi is considered the more luxurious product and this is reflected in the price people are prepared to pay for it.In the same way an £800 (or more) iPhone may well be considered a luxury product even if similarly specced devices from Samsung, Sony et al are considerably cheaper and, to some, better value for money. Customer service from Apple, however, is generally unrivalled compared to other OEMs.It's acknowledged by own friends inside Samsung. So the service element also adds to that perception of luxury.I've not managed to chip, scratch, have paint come off or crack screen on any of my iPhones all the way from the 3GS to my current 5S and anecdotally seen plenty of Galaxy products with damage. But it doesn't provide definitive proof that iPhones are more durable that Galaxy phones.

normal    346

Rumours that the 5.5" will be the only one with 128GB storage. Damn Apple! They really want me to have a 5.5 incher

satsuma    178

Rumours that the 5.5" will be the only one with 128GB storage. Damn Apple! They really want me to have a 5.5 incher

Makes sense. I suspect that model will be north of £800 Good luck with your 5.5 incher ;-)

MadDog    464

A Skoda Yeti probably shares the same platform and components as an Audi Q5 but the Audi is considered the more luxurious product and this is reflected in the price people are prepared to pay for it.

Strange that - our fleet used to be mostly Audi's (80%), now that has probably dropped to about 20% and still falling as they are too dammed expensive and you can get fare more car for less money from BMW / Mercedes

normal    346

Apple are reported to be holding an event on 9th September. Fits in with the usual iPhone cycle....

I would note that it will be just as IFA is rolling down, so should create quite a buzz and also knock interest in all the other phones expected to launch at IFA this year.