normal

The iPhone 6 Thread

Maybe my eyes are being weird but it looks blown up to fill the screen rather than clear and sharp like, for example, Twitter is.

Agree. Keyboard and icons at top of screen definitely oversized. Something like Storehouse app is a perfect example of how apps can be and should have already been optimised for the new phones. It looks great on the 6+ :)

mcgrad    74

To a certain extent, larger screen mobiles are like moving from a 14" monitor to a 24" monitor, then changing the resolution back down to 600 x 800? Bigger screen, same content.

When browsing sites on my LG G3 and and Moto X, side by side you see the same amount of webpage on-screen but the G3 is just bigger.

To get any benefit you need to change the DPI on the G3 from 650 to 530ish to fit more on screen.

Is the 6 the same?

RobM    195

To a certain extent, larger screen mobiles are like moving from a 14" monitor to a 24" monitor, then changing the resolution back down to 600 x 800? Bigger screen, same content.When browsing sites on my LG G3 and and Moto X, side by side you see the same amount of webpage on-screen but the G3 is just bigger.To get any benefit you need to change the DPI on the G3 from 650 to 530ish to fit more on screen.Is the 6 the same?

It's the same in apps that are scaled, but others are showing off their ability to use the extra space quite well if they have been written for the 6+.The official Twitter app isn't a bad example, the Trending 'list' view shows how much extra space there is. The native iMessage and email apps do the same. iMessage not only has a longer list, but space for the contacts photo too. A really nice touch.Websites display the same amount of content in Safari (native res) and Chrome (scaled) but Safari is so much crisper and clearer it makes Chrome look horribly blurred. Safari looks brilliant.I'm confident there is a lot more to come too, I just hope it won't take too long for developers to catch up.I share your view of Android though, which is why I had CM11 running on my Note 3, with the DPI changed to make better use of the screen. In stock form it was no better at displaying content than the Galaxy S4.

Dave    70

Just played with both the 6 bad 6+ this afternoon.Amazing bits of kit really. The build quality seems awesome.I went to the Samsung experience store straight after to have another play with the Galaxy Alpha - honestly it feels like a cheap toy when compared to the iPhone.I couldn't get the BBC website to render in mobile version on the 6+ which was somewhat annoying.Other sites loaded mobile version fine eg Sky NewsThe 6+ is a handful and prolonged one - handed operation is not an option.The 6 provides just enough increase in screen real - estate to make an upgrade worth it and it's far more pocketable whilst still being just about usable in one hand.But for me, the 6+ just shades it because of the massive amounts of screen real - estate, the bigger battery and OIS. Now if only Apple would let me actually buy one

There was quite a bit of stock released at midnight on the reservation web page. Only lasted about 10 minutes though.

phoneboy    6

As there isn't a IOS 8 thread and it's not a six problem I thought I'd still post it here. I've found a bug on my iPhone 5 when using logmein ignition. The keyboard seems to not display properly and keys are hard to acess

post-42-0-80831100-1411462584_thumb.png

Edited by phoneboy

kradcliffe    152

I found it bizarre with all the extra pixels the home screen still has the same grid layout. There's room for far more icons, I have seven along the bottom of my Note 2 home screen with Nova and it's only 720.

Keith 

RobM    195

I've found my first real problem with the 6+; Bluetooth isn't working with my handsfree car kit. The Apple support forums suggest I'm far from alone though, so I hope for a quick fix.

It's odd, it pairs and connects fine, sync's the phonebook fine, but when a call is initiated or received it drops the audio. The phone thinks its connected still and is trying to route audio to it, the car kit ignores it. Very annoying.

hal    120

I've found my first real problem with the 6+; Bluetooth isn't working with my handsfree car kit. The Apple support forums suggest I'm far from alone though, so I hope for a quick fix.It's odd, it pairs and connects fine, sync's the phonebook fine, but when a call is initiated or received it drops the audio. The phone thinks its connected still and is trying to route audio to it, the car kit ignores it. Very annoying.

I discovered this also - audio drops on a BMW BT system. Very annoying.

RobM    195

It seems some people are working OK, others have found various combinations of resetting, repairing and standing on one leg pointing downwind works, but others like me are stuck still.

Most problems relate to handsfree though, so you may have more luck with audio streaming.

hal    120

It seems some people are working OK, others have found various combinations of resetting, repairing and standing on one leg pointing downwind works, but others like me are stuck still.Most problems relate to handsfree though, so you may have more luck with audio streaming.

I should add that I have no issue whatsoever with BT headphones, which have continued to work like a champ for both music and video, and for calls. The model I have are the Jaybird Bluebuds X.

phoneboy    6

I discovered this also - audio drops on a BMW BT system. Very annoying.

Great I have a BMW system :-(

normal    345

I've just arrived back on the country. I'll get mine tomorrow....

In other news. Apple are said to make 69% profit (excluding developing, distribution and marketing costs) on the basic iPhone 6, rising up to 70% on higher storage versions. The 6+ also represents a higher profit margin than the 6, with the bigger screen, battery and OIS said to cost $16.

The latest bug fixes rumoured for 8.0.1 don't mention bluetooth...

neuty    24

Managed to lay my hands on a iPhone 6 today.

Have got to say build felt fantastic, but there was never a doubt there. What I did like was the size, it just felt so right in hand with its curvy sides. Having used Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, S 3 and others the size was never an issue for me.

Now I need to resist temptation.  :lol:  :lol:  But no help with you all here saying such great things about it.

Carl.

satsuma    178

WhatsApp on the 6+ looks really pants.

I hope they issue an update soon.

Reachability mode is actually quite useful and less of joke feature than I thought it would be.

Browsing on the 6+ is a joy,

hecatae    9

Great I have a BMW system :-(

thank you for confirming this bug, stepfather is being upgraded on Friday.

ferret1979    9

My 6 works with my car Bluetooth, I've got a Renault Scenic.

Has anyone suffered any issues with the proximity sensor?  I noticed the screen kept becoming active while on a call earlier.

Majed    51

There's an update for Whatsapp guys.

I don't have any of the new phones and it only stated "Bug Fixes" but give it a try, might sort out the screen size issues.

Milhouse    355

Does it bend? Why, yes it does! ;)

Probably best to avoid putting a 6+ in your front pocket. Or back pocket... or maybe any pocket that's likely to experience any degree of force.

And now the Note 3 "Bend Test":

(the Note 3 survives the Bend Test)

It looks like the 6+ has a fairly obvious weakness in the case design wherever there is an opening, resulting in almost no strength whatsoever. More internal bracing required, or a stronger material than aluminium. I can see so many people bending their iPhone phablets just by sitting down.