normal

The iPhone 6 Thread

Rvn    103

Kind of embarrassing for sellers of a premium product. But as long as they have such high visible demand, why would Apple prevent their beloved customers from buying?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk Pro

normal    346

It's all a bit embarrassing to watch.

Out of interest, who's got new iPhones, and what types? What do people think?

hal    120

My wife and I have iPhone 6 and both like them very much. It's a bit of an adjustment in terms of size/button placement etc but we will adapt.

It doesn't feel too big in the hand but ergonomics are slightly odd. Feels more fragile than my 5s which was tough - it hit the dirt 20+ times in the last year and no damage, just the odd small scuff on the metal. Not sure the 6 will take that!

hal    120

My wife, I should add, was dead against upgrading originally and hated the idea of a bigger phone but loves it much more than me now she has it!

Also size vis à vis fingers and reach is no issue. I can reach everything with one hand without the new reach mode and I have fairly normal sized hands.

RobM    195

I'm enjoying the 6+, the only downside at the moment is those Apps that haven't been updated to natively support its screen size and resolution. I find the comment above about the build quality being 'Samsung' like utterly bizarre though, this is about as far from Samsung as you can get. My Note 2 and Note 3 both felt OK on day-1 and were creaking and flexing like a toy after a month or so of use. This 6+ is solid in every sense, you couldn't possibly make it creak of flex, there are no gap lines, no rough edges, the curved edges of the screen look superb and the screen itself is something else entirely, just superb. 

I read a comment in a review about the screen and how much thinner the panel components are, which makes it feel like the pixels are 'on' the screen rather than under them. It's absolutely true. It may only be 1080 resolution but you'd be hard pushed to find a better screen out there, IMO.

The size of the 6+ has worked out well for me too. I'm used to and prefer larger phones and appreciate I'm in the minority, but I can do enough navigation one-handed to make it easy to use. If I just want to sit and flick through content, do some reading or messaging, it's fine one handed. But the screen size makes it a much more tablet-like experience which is perfect for my use. It feels like an iPad Mini-Mini.

I just hope developers catch up soon and design their apps to support it properly.

Hal - What's the scaling like on the 6? Do scaled Apps look OK?

hal    120

To be honest I've noticed no scaling at all. Everything I've used just seems to be 'right'. It's all displaying perfectly so far.

Dave    70

To be honest I've noticed no scaling at all. Everything I've used just seems to be 'right'. It's all displaying perfectly so far.

Agreed, I haven't used an app that doesn't look right yet, the new screen is quite an upgrade (colour and clarity) over the 5s as well.

SteveyAsp    41

I've got an iPhone 6, it's nice to be back on a smaller device, I'd forgotten how smooth iOS is compared to Android.

I think had Apple made on phone at 5" it would have been an all round winner

RobM    195

Agreed, I haven't used an app that doesn't look right yet, the new screen is quite an upgrade (colour and clarity) over the 5s as well.

That's good to know. I guess the jump up to the size and resolution of the 6+ is a step too far for the scaling. It wouldn't be so bad if the notification bar and keyboard didn't scale too!

Hass    8

I have a space grey 64gb iphone 6 and the wife has the same but in Gold. Love the 6 so far and much improvement coming from a 4s and 4

hal    120

Even over the past half a day it has grown on me (no pun intended). I'm getting used to the ergonomics and I am not sure I would be comfortable going back. It's a very nice phone indeed.

Dave    70

WhatsApp looks scaled on the 6, let alone the 6+

just checked Whatsapp on my 6, no sign of scaling whatsoever. Everything looks clear and in proportion to my eyes.

Majed    51

How about apps like TweetBot & Tapatalk?

I looked at TweetBot's last update log and it was only to make it with iOS 8 Beta.

hal    120

How about apps like TweetBot & Tapatalk?I looked at TweetBot's last update log and it was only to make it with iOS 8 Beta.

I have both and don't seem to experience any issues -- all working fine as far as I can see: same functionality and screen rendering all ok.

(on a 6.)

Tapatalk has the same scaling issues that Rob mentioned (on a 6+). Everything is enlarged including keyboard.

Actual functionality is fine but I can't wait for these apps to be updated to natively take advantage of the screen.

Winterman    33

just checked Whatsapp on my 6, no sign of scaling whatsoever. Everything looks clear and in proportion to my eyes.

Maybe my eyes are being weird but it looks blown up to fill the screen rather than clear and sharp like, for example, Twitter is.