normal

The iPhone 6 Thread

Hass    8

What's the returns policy guys? Bought 2 space greys yesterday but the Mrs really wants a gold one. I have a gold one reserved at Manchester. Is it a case of straight swap or refund and repurchase?

neuty    24

What's the returns policy guys? Bought 2 space greys yesterday but the Mrs really wants a gold one. I have a gold one reserved at Manchester. Is it a case of straight swap or refund and repurchase?

I am sure it is a refund and repurchase.

Carl.

Dave    70

Are you saying Voice calls over LTE ?

The 5S can do this over wifi with Facetime Audio calls.

Unless I am misunderstanding you.

Carl 

VoLTE is voice over LTE, why would you even think that FaceTime audio is even remotely the same as making a normal cellular call over LTE (4G)? You do realise that FaceTime only works between iOS devices?

its probably worth your time to go and read up on VoLTE and what it actually is...

not having VoLTE on a 4G handset is going to become quite problematic, sooner rather than later.

satsuma    178

not having VoLTE on a 4G handset is going to become quite problematic, sooner rather than later.

Dunno....

Operators still face hurdles on implementaion with things like interoperability, 4G handover delays (falling back onto 3G/2G when LTE signal drops), etc.

Let's not forget that LTE coverage is not exactly all-encompassing at the moment.

VF and EE seem most bullish on this, but might be a while before we're all feeling the benefits of VoLTE IMHO.

But yes, operator handset specs sent to OEMs are increasingly insistent on VoLTE support even though it's just tick-in-the-box at the moment.

Dave    70

Dunno....

Operators still face hurdles on implementaion with things like interoperability, 4G handover delays (falling back onto 3G/2G when LTE signal drops), etc.

Let's not forget that LTE coverage is not exactly all-encompassing at the moment.

VF and EE seem most bullish on this, but might be a while before we're all feeling the benefits of VoLTE IMHO.

But yes, operator handset specs sent to OEMs are increasingly insistent on VoLTE support even though it's just tick-in-the-box at the moment.

I think we are more likely to see VoLTE on EE and Three in the near future, 800MHz will be a large step for them, and VoLTE is an important facet of getting 800MHz working at max efficiency.

normal    346

VoLTE has two advantages. One, it's 'HD Voice' calls, and secondly it will give better coverage of voice calls, and better penetration into buildings compared to most 3G services.

Dave    70

And I need VoLTE because........Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because you might want to be able to make/receive calls and texts?

neuty    24

Thanks Nik, not a big issue at the moment for me but no doubt will become the norm at some stage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

neuty    24

Because might want to be able to make/receive calls and texts?

I can still do all that with my 5S and always will. The VoLTE is for HD. As I just posted to Nik, I can wait. CarlSent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave    70

I can still do all that with my 5S and always will. The VoLTE is for HD.As I just posted to Nik, I can wait.CarlSent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, VoLTE is not just HD voice, as I said, go and do some research. You CANT do it with your 5s, as it isn't capable of doing it.

Without VoLTE you will have NO voice or text if you have a 4G signal in an area without 3G fallback, for the networks using 800MHz for 4G (ie all of them), when they turn the power up you will have the possibility of having a signal but no voice or text if the handset cannot fallback...

neuty    24

Never said my 5S does it at all. I said my 5S can make calls and texts. Nothing about VoLTE.

When I am in a 4G area like most of the time, if I take a call or make a call the phone drops into 3G and always has.

Are you saying that all 4G phones out there that are not VoLTE will loose calls and texts if the power gets turned up as you say.

There will be a hell of a lot of customers upset in the uk then.

Carl

neuty    24

Just reading through your links. Thanks very much.

Link 3, I am not into Horse Dressage Training.  :lol:

Carl.

Dave    70

Just reading through your links. Thanks very much.

Link 3, I am not into Horse Dressage Training.  :lol:

Carl.

At least there was a link from the page to the correct one ;).

kradcliffe    152

Had a look at the plus in the Glasgow Apple store today. Size ways it's similar to my Note 2 but lighter and mega slippy. I can see loads of them being dropped. Not that impressed with the build either to be honest, just seems a bit "Samsung" 

PE7ER    13

..mega slippy....Not that impressed with the build either to be honest, just seems a bit "Samsung"

I agree, It is slippy a bit, but dressed in Apple leather case the grip is just perfect with all rounded corners. Apart of the size, which is samsung'ish, there's nothing I can see in common between build/design/quality of 6 plus and any of samsung handsets I owned (S2, S4, Note 3) in the past.

jonmorris    184

VoLTE is essential for 4G to go to the next step. Current 4G is limited in power so as not to exceed the existing coverage, which would mean data but no voice. Once you have voice over 4G, you can boost the power.

Three is already starting to roll out 800MHz but it's switch on to properly give coverage in rural areas and improve indoor coverage in cities relies on VoLTE. The problem is that a lot of phones need software updates (assuming they can be done at all) and if some handsets that are very common don't support it and won't support it, it will slow down the next phases.

At some point I expect operators will have to start talking consumers that they may need to upgrade or not be able to make calls where data works.

I can see plenty of people going mad about the perceived loss of coverage, when in reality there never was voice coverage in those places.

ferret1979    9

VoLTE is essential for 4G to go to the next step. Current 4G is limited in power so as not to exceed the existing coverage, which would mean data but no voice. Once you have voice over 4G, you can boost the power.Three is already starting to roll out 800MHz but it's switch on to properly give coverage in rural areas and improve indoor coverage in cities relies on VoLTE. The problem is that a lot of phones need software updates (assuming they can be done at all) and if some handsets that are very common don't support it and won't support it, it will slow down the next phases.At some point I expect operators will have to start talking consumers that they may need to upgrade or not be able to make calls where data works.I can see plenty of people going mad about the perceived loss of coverage, when in reality there never was voice coverage in those places.

If I've understood correctly, when deployed it will improve indoor reception on 3 for voice calls/texts/data and appease some of the issues, of lack of indoor coverage? 

Dave    70

Theoretically, yes.

Not just theoretically mate, it definitely will, Three having 800MHz coverage is going to be a game changer for them.

satsuma    178

This is what iPhone launch day has become; a sordid day of gangs, exploitation and profiteering.

I've seen similar over here.

I really think Apple should try and do something about this.

Perhaps people buying directly from store in the first days should only be allowed to pay with a credit/debit card and some proof of ID?

Simmotino    33

I really don't see what's wrong with this to be honest.

So they pay people to sit in line for them? Big deal.

In fact, the only thing that sprang to mind (several times) when watching that was racism  :(

Milhouse    355

Yes, I wonder if that cop would have shouted "You stink!" at a bunch of African Americans? I somehow suspect not... :(

Mind you that store was probably humming once the doors opened! :)

And isn't it ironic that it's the Chinese ex-pats that are queueing up to profit from the labours of their slave labour compatriots back home?

But if sleeping on the "sidewalk" is enough to get you arrested, surely that law would clear up these queues in no time? Just pop round at 3am and clear out the lot of them while they're snoozing. Obviously the laws exist to prevent these queues, so why is nothing being done? Presumably because Apple like them and the publicity they bring. Although they are rather more shabby now than they used to be, so not sure how long before the publicity turns even more negative.

But at the end of the day, anyone that is prepared to pay over the odds for a freaking consumer electronics device rather than wait a bit and pick one up on the spot is more than welcome to be parted from their cash. They're probably the same fools that will buy the gold watch! :)