satsuma

What's going on at Samsung

Rvn    103

Good discussion, I feel so much better at not having upgraded to a smart TV! I just plug my laptop into my TV by HDMI. If anything I'd go "smart" with a Fire TV stick or the like.

kradcliffe    153

It seems that everything is just throwaway. As stated above a TV should last 10 years (we got 9 out of our last "dumb" LG plasma). The manufacturers are deluded if they think people will replace a two grand TV after 3 years because because the smart section goes out of date.

In comparison I use sequencing software (multiquence) for creating mixes that I bought the licence for in 1997 on Windows 95. Still works on Windows 8.1 despite not having been developed for years now. That's what peeves me about a less than two year TV not supporting a current service.

Milhouse    355

but one day even the settings menu will probably be ditched and then the only thing that will come on is the LED power light.

THIS. Ultimately, it's my biggest concern - that manufacturers will intentionally cripple "Smart" TVs to the point where they become unusable, or at least constantly remind the owner of what they are missing (once had) and forcing their hand into buying a replacment when they shouldn't have to.

I long said when I wrote about TVs that all I want is a basic panel with inputs and then I'll connect the right box for the right job, which can be changed far easier and cheaper. Heck, I don't really need speakers either as I'll use a soundbar (but I think that might a step too far for many, especially if you one day move an old set to a bedroom and don't want separate speakers).

Same. I've never used the speakers on my TV (Aurea) as it's always been connected to an amp, and I use external boxes as my sources (Kodi for networked media etc.). A simple "panel" would do me. Preferably with Ambilight. :)

"Smart" TVs in my mind are akin to the built-in DVD players that some people used to value when purchasing a TV. Of course, the built-in DVD player would always fail after a couple of years, so an external replacement would have to be bought (which is what the owner should have bought in the first place!) But at least a busted built-in DVD player often had no impact on TV functionality. Not necessarily so with "Smart" this and "Smart" that.

My Aurea ... (bar one repair and another possibly needed in the not too distant future)

Is your CCFL power converter/inverter going (backlight doesn't come on)? Mine is on the blink... second time. :(

jonmorris    184

THIS. Ultimately, it's my biggest concern - that manufacturers will intentionally cripple "Smart" TVs to the point where they become unusable, or at least constantly remind the owner of what they are missing (once had) and forcing their hand into buying a replacment when they shouldn't have to.

Same. I've never used the speakers on my TV (Aurea) as it's always been connected to an amp, and I use external boxes as my sources (Kodi for networked media etc.). A simple "panel" would do me. Preferably with Ambilight. :)

"Smart" TVs in my mind are akin to the built-in DVD players that some people used to value when purchasing a TV. Of course, the built-in DVD player would always fail after a couple of years, so an external replacement would have to be bought (which is what the owner should have bought in the first place!) But at least a busted built-in DVD player often had no impact on TV functionality. Not necessarily so with "Smart" this and "Smart" that.

Is your CCFL power converter/inverter going (backlight doesn't come on)? Mine is on the blink... second time. :(

Yes, the backlight does sometimes fail to come on. But it's done that on and off for over a year now, and so far can be fixed with a second try (or third at most). I will probably get it repaired when it does finally fail.

I will miss the ambilight a lot but I am not convinced by the current 'Philips' TVs. The TV will go into a spare room (where it's going to be stupidly big!) so I can still enjoy the effect there.

Smart TVs are certainly things nobody seems to care about, so I wonder why manufacturers are so bothered? When I ran the Smart TV website we got very little traction, because I think most smart features are never used. At most someone uses iPlayer or something, and they probably have at least one set top box attached, which probably has all that too.

I have no doubt that trying to add advertising will just slow things down, and eventually you'll think 'wow this TV is unusable' and buy a new one.

Milhouse    355

Smart TVs are certainly things nobody seems to care about, so I wonder why manufacturers are so bothered? When I ran the Smart TV website we got very little traction, because I think most smart features are never used. At most someone uses iPlayer or something, and they probably have at least one set top box attached, which probably has all that too.

Perhaps if there was a market for third-party upgradeable "Smart" software there would be more interest in what is possible, and where to get it.

At the moment, particularly with proprietary platforms, you get a fixed set of features when you buy the TV. In the short term a few extra features/apps may be added, but long term you'll lose even more as the manufacturer loses interest in you as a customer. Consumers have no control over this, and often can't install new apps to access the latest services unless their manufacturer deigns it, so no wonder they're largely ambivalent.

If on the other hand the consumer could upgrade their Smart TV using third party "Smart" software for a small fee (or even free, with open source) it would help drive "Smart" competition and improve "Smart" offerings, and most likely ensure TV sets are actively supported far longer than is likely to be the case with software supplied by TV manufacturers who only want to sell new hardware.

Perhaps the "Smart" TV business will evolve in a way similar to the personal/home computer business of the 70s and 80s - "Smart" TVs need to be based on standardised, open hardware that anyone can develop for. The closest to this right now are those TVs running Android.

MadDog    464

What about the TVs that run android - surely that's they way to go? Brother in-law has the Sony and he runs Kodi on it

That's where I'll go if I upgrade my TV - Are the Hisense ones android?

jonmorris    184

What about the TVs that run android - surely that's they way to go? Brother in-law has the Sony and he runs Kodi on it

That's where I'll go if I upgrade my TV - Are the Hisense ones android?

No.

I was tempted by Android TV (more so than any other platform) but given Google's lack of interest in TVs in general - bar perhaps using a Chromecast - I didn't make it part of my buying decision. I still feel that in a few years, the version of Android TV would be EOL and unsupported.

My TV is arriving later today and it will have a Humax Freesat box, Fire TV (not stick) and Now TV box connected. The Fire TV box runs Kodi just fine, and I think it's going to be faster for all other apps than the TV (going by previous experience).

RobM    195

There is a massive irony in thinking Android - an OS famed for being dumped after a year and not kept up-to-date on devices by manufacturers who use it - is the answer to a concern that your SmartTV might not be kept up-to-date.

kradcliffe    153

As soon as Apple ditched the headphone jack you just knew Samsung would follow.

I'm glad I have two Note 4 handsets in great condition, both rooted and volume boosted. The audio quality with the B&O H3 play in-ear headphones is sublime.

Their later handsets haven't really appealed to me and potentially removing features like the headphone jack just makes it worse.

mcgrad    74

If you need another reason not to buy a Smart TV, then read about Wikileak's Vault 7 release that has just been made public, talks about "Weeping Angel" affecting Samsung Smart TVs.

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/

The increasing sophistication of surveillance techniques has drawn comparisons with George Orwell's 1984, but "Weeping Angel", developed by the CIA's Embedded Devices Branch (EDB), which infests smart TVs, transforming them into covert microphones, is surely its most emblematic realization.

The attack against Samsung smart TVs was developed in cooperation with the United Kingdom's MI5/BTSS. After infestation, Weeping Angel places the target TV in a 'Fake-Off' mode, so that the owner falsely believes the TV is off when it is on. In 'Fake-Off' mode the TV operates as a bug, recording conversations in the room and sending them over the Internet to a covert CIA server.

Edited by mcgrad

normal    346

Sadly the same problem with our phones/tablets/computers/Echo type things etc. :(

normal    346

Looks like pretty much everything has been hacked according to the reports. Probably the safest thing to have is a Windows phone as they probably never sold enough of those to be worth hacking :D

Milhouse    355

Drop your new Samsung TV so that it is back in spec...

Top notch build quality from Samsung when it can't even survive shipping...