satsuma

What's going on at Samsung

RobM    195

For me, there was two things, one predictable and one daft.

The predictable one is iMessage. If everyone you know has an iPhone, losing iMessage is a bit of a pain. Luckily for me, most people I talk to often also use WhatsApp.

The daft one is choice. With iOS you're given a very decent Mail and Calendar app as standard. The native Android and Samsung versions are, IMO, poorer in comparison and I found looking for something better was harder than I thought, as there are so many options you never truly know what you're about to get for your download. It almost felt like Stockholm Syndrome, I wanted to be told what to do.

Otherwise, I found no problems. There are differences, some good, some bad, some just different. On the whole though, they are on-par with each other and the user experience is quite similar.

neuty    24

Thanks Rob, always a true and honest reply from you.  :)

iMessage would be a big problem as like you said all my family have an iPhone. I like the music app to on the iPhone too. Last android I had was poor for BT to my hands free and would never connect my phone book or call history etc. 

The S7 is the best Android phone available as well as the new Pixel, so a choice to make.

Cheers Rob

satsuma    178

As I now need to wear glasses for some readin etc ( late 40's  :lol: ) I am toying over moving to an S7 from my iPhone SE. A big phone compared to my SE but have used an iPhone 6 without an issue.

I know some say there is no issues switching over from Apple to the S7 but really from those that have is there really nothing you miss?

Carl

I am pretending I don't need glasses and getting away with it - just!

I've got an S7 Edge and an iPhone 7+

I've got Apple Music on the Samsung and it works fine.

The camera on the S7 Edge produces more "wow" results but the iPhone results are more "real" - depends what you prefer

The S7 is still the better out-and-out night time camera though.

The screen on the S7 Edge is beautiful and the OLED makes contrast and colours look more lively than iPhone.

Looks wise, the S7 Edge is the winnner too - it's beautifully crafted design beaten only by the (now defunct) Note 7 IMHO.

On the down side.

The Edge software is pretty redundant for me and pressing the "Edge" by mistake happens too often.

Samsung screens still over-sensitive for me.

Overall I think the refinements in iOS10 + Google Mobile Sevices make the iPhone more of an everyday pleasure to use.

iMessage in iOS 10 really comes into it's own - some of the effects are a bit naff but predictive emojis is really quite useful in an everyday way.

I would also miss FaceTime which I use a lot because I travel and everyone at home has a MacBookook and/or iPhone.

Having said that you can always use Google Duo for video calls on iOS and Android but need to pursuade everyone to download it. It works flawlessly.

Similary I also have Google Alloon iPhone but no one else I know has it  :rolleyes:

iPhone also has much better enterrpise support across most organisations.

I don't think the iOS calendar and Mail work as seemleesly as they should on corporate exchnage accounts though. We're not allowed to use Outlook for iOS otherwise I would use that for coprporate stuff.

Also if you're using a MacBook as your main PC then the iOS/OSX continuity features are a real boon.

I would love to throw the Pixel inot the mix but I haven't actually seen one yet.

I suspect Pixel 2 will be the phone from Google that perhaps really rocks.

An honourable mention should also go to Huawei P9 and OnePlus 3.

mcgrad    74

As someone who has just embraced glasses myself......A bigger screen is becoming more important for me. The thing that i miss most from from iOS when i hop to and from Android is iMessage. 

Milhouse    355

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/30/11814706/samsung-smart-televisions-new-menu-bar-ads-european-expansion

Yep, add intrusive adverts to old smart TVs in order to wring additional cash out of your television business, but lose future sales from disgruntled customers. Good job, Samsung! Good job!

So that's Samsung mobile phones, washing machines and now TVs on the sh1t list.

normal    346

What do you mean by 'web interface'? I have an LG and love the WebOS interface. Not sure if it's what you're looking for.

RobM    195

I love my WebOS-enabled LG 4K TV too! The interface is actually useful, easy to navigate, responsive and 'just works'. The universal search feature is a really nice touch too, something Apple appear to be trying to achieve with their TV App on AppleTV (confused naming, anyone?).

The only thing I'd improve with it if I could is the ability to mirror things from my phone. It kinda works via a shoddy app you can download, but it's not that slick.

Milhouse    355

I've heard good things about WebOS TVs.

However the problem is when the manufacturer no longer wants to spend the money to support customers they flogged their hardware to 3, 4, 5+ years ago and suddenly your TV - which should last most buyers at least 10 years - starts losing the software functionality you bought and paid for, and have become accustomed to using.

Sony have already done this with their YouTube app on 2-3 year old TVs.

"Smart TV" has completely changed the way TV hardware has to be supported by the TV manufacturer - it's no longer a straight 12 month hardware deal - and frankly I don't think many of them will give a toss about supporting software on hardware that is more than a few years old. Whether they can get away with this I don't know, I suspect it's going to take another few years before it becomes a bigger issue once more "Smart TVs" are filled with abandonware, and no longer very "Smart".

RobM    195

Same story as with smartphones. It'll probably prove to be the case with smartwatch's too. And media players. And numerous IoT / automation / smart home tech.

normal    346

I agree with you Millhouse. My TV came with WebOS 2 and although LG continue to update my TV (and app developers too), LG decided not to update it to WebOS 3. I seriously have doubts that there's a technical reason behind that.

RobM    195

I'm sure we could just as easily become accustomed to upgrading SmartTV's just as we do SmartPhones. We don't live in an age of upgrading what you have or replacing components, we just buy new stuff, so Samsung's idea is clever but won't appeal to ordinary TV buying folk. Those folk will just get into the habit of buying new TV's as-and-when losing functionality* makes it 'necessary' for them, especially since TV's are getting so cheap.

*Functionality matters here. The majority of Android users aren't using the latest version of their mobile OS and they don't care. They just care that they can download the Apps they want and that it all works. TV's could become the same; so long as they can get to Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer etc, who cares what version it is?

I'd be willing to bet that normal's LG TV running WebOS2 access the same primary content as my LG TV running WebOS3. The differences won't be noticed by anybody other than us lot who knows what to look for.

Milhouse    355

*Functionality matters here. The majority of Android users aren't using the latest version of their mobile OS and they don't care. They just care that they can download the Apps they want and that it all works. TV's could become the same; so long as they can get to Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer etc, who cares what version it is?

That's fine if the TV runs an "open" (using the term loosely) OS such as Android and permits installation of pretty much any app, but many TV platforms support only curated applications supplied by the TV manufacturer. Once they decide to cut you off, you're screwed.

In a way I almost feel sorry for TV manufacturers - having to provide "Smart" services is a huge development and support burden they'd rather do without. They have to offer these services, much like 3D before it, because everyone else does, even if they believe it's a crap idea with nothing in it for them.

As such I'm not sure it will continue like this forever, which is like the Wild West of Smart TV with every manufacturer punting their own version - some good, some terrible. Eventually TV manufacturers will want to divest themselves of this Smart TV development/support burden and one way to do that is to drop "Smart" functions completely (rely on a cheap third-party external boxes) or implement some sort of hardware interface standard that supports after market hardware (plug-in modules).

normal    346

I'd be willing to bet that normal's LG TV running WebOS2 access the same primary content as my LG TV running WebOS3. The differences won't be noticed by anybody other than us lot who knows what to look for.

I'm pretty sure you're right at the moment, but I'm worried about what will happen in 2-3 years from now. I've got a mid-range 2015 model.

(I'm planning on upgrading to OLED as soon as economically feasible)