satsuma

What's going on at Samsung

jonmorris    184

Maybe more examples of the cultural differences, and how Samsung STILL doesn't get how things work.

Can't someone explain what the Streisand effect is?

Let people have a laugh, and they'll all be bored by next year when the next phone is announced.

normal    345

Personally, I think the PR from giving a free replacement to all Note 7 owners is worth far more to Samsung and turns the story around. This is a half measure and doesn't change Samsung's image as reluctant throughout.

jonmorris    184

I'm amazed all IMEI numbers weren't blocked anyway ......

One UK network told me that they considered it but there were potential legal issues in doing so. So the decision has been taken not to do it.

Milhouse    355

This is going to be one of those events that just when you've started to forget about it, something will happen (like 3 million exploding Samsung washing machines, or any exploding battery whether Samsung related or not) that will bring the Note 7 debacle back into the public consciousness. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Or if you're Samsung, the nightmare that never ends...

Ajax    13

This is going to be one of those events that just when you've started to forget about it, something will happen (like 3 million exploding Samsung washing machines, or any exploding battery whether Samsung related or not) that will bring the Note 7 debacle back into the public consciousness. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Or if you're Samsung, the nightmare that never ends...

I think the public will forget eventually in 6-12 months. I saw lots on insight on the various network outages that O2 suffered a few years ago. Customer annoyance peaked but gradually tailed off normal levels a few months down the line. Same public that ranked MVNO's network performance higher than the carrier network they were on. Its all about perception of a brand and the Samsung brand is probably strong enough to weather this I suspect. There will be jokes for years but I can see customers opting of the next Samsung S8 without much hesitation. Especially if they are swayed by discounts/offers/promotions to take one. 

PR nightmare no doubt for Samsung, but Hotpoint 9 (I think) had exploding washing a few years ago that made Watchdog, they are still in business. 

MeKeV    96

I've made a point of asking a couple ordinary mates about samsung fires and the pixels, and nowt, nothin' at all on either. Completely off their radar.

Ajax    13

I've made a point of asking a couple ordinary mates about samsung fires and the pixels, and nowt, nothin' at all on either. Completely off their radar.

Yeah, our perspective tends to get skewed, I doubt the average person cares, I think its been a bit more an an issue in the USA though. 

kradcliffe    152

I have had many Samsung handsets since the Galaxy S up to the S7 Edge and they've all been superb. This doesn't put me off at all and I'm sure it will be completely fixed by the next release. 

I missed some models due to incremental updates and really went off them when SD support was removed but all in all Samsung have been a good handset manufacturer. 

Rvn    103

I have had many Samsung handsets since the Galaxy S up to the S7 Edge and they've all been superb. This doesn't put me off at all and I'm sure it will be completely fixed by the next release.

I missed some models due to incremental updates and really went off them when SD support was removed but all in all Samsung have been a good handset manufacturer.

Likewise, I never had a problem with S2 and S3 hardware, just the software.

hal    120

To be honest, unless they're seriously incompetent, we should be *more* confident in their handsets as they will no doubt be pulling out every stop to ensure that their next handsets are completely safe and flame retardant......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobM    195

In more positive Samsung news... the S7 / S7 Edge Nougat Beta is impressively good for a first release. My only complaint is my LED notification light has stopped working, but otherwise it's impressive.

And yes... I'm a sucker for a beta. I can't help myself.

SteveyAsp    41

I'm on the Beta is as well and I agree it's a nice update, the one slight disappointment for me currently is that the stock SMS App doesn't use the Nougat Lockscreen Quick Reply so I've reported it as a suggestion

satsuma    178

A while back I worked for a company that Harman absorbed.

Harman's engineers have deep (I mean very deep) knowledge of embedded software and connectivity.

Harman's clients are not just consumers and auto manufacturers; their clients include many companies involved in mobile and mobile connectivity.

Samsung has acquired a pretty decent asset but the whether they can capitalise on it or not is a different matter.

kradcliffe    152

Let's hope Samsung's bad management culture doesn't affect Harman directly and force out the people actually making the business a success.

Given the issues with the Note 7 and the washing machines in the USA there's obviously something very wrong at Samsung and that mantra usually comes down from the top.

RobM    195

A while back I worked for a company that Harman absorbed.

Harman's engineers have deep (I mean very deep) knowledge of embedded software and connectivity.

Harman's clients are not just consumers and auto manufacturers; their clients include many companies involved in mobile and mobile connectivity.

Samsung has acquired a pretty decent asset but the whether they can capitalise on it or not is a different matter.

This comes from a long-term, quality-focused investment (time and money) in your industry, products, R&D and people.

Let's hope Samsung's bad management culture doesn't affect Harman directly and force out the people actually making the business a success.

Given the issues with the Note 7 and the washing machines in the USA there's obviously something very wrong at Samsung and that mantra usually comes down from the top.

This comes from a short-term focus on getting products to market as quickly as possible in order to move onto the next fad, in order to keep the market flooded with your products.

I'll be interesting to see how these two come together.

neuty    24

As I now need to wear glasses for some readin etc ( late 40's  :lol: ) I am toying over moving to an S7 from my iPhone SE. A big phone compared to my SE but have used an iPhone 6 without an issue.

I know some say there is no issues switching over from Apple to the S7 but really from those that have is there really nothing you miss?

Carl