satsuma

What's going on at Samsung

normal    345

I guess a case like this was inevitable somewhere against a manufacturer. It does seem unfair on the average consumer that they don't get many updates for their phones.

kradcliffe    152

Agreed. But Android has been a mess for updates since day one.

Having so many models and regional variants is probably the problem, but Samsung should have recognised this instead of trying to flood the planet with handsets and not giving a rat's arse what happens to them down the line.

RobM    195

Ultimately that's their product strategy though; flood the market now, worry about it later. Same with all their ranges. Just look at the number of tablets and TV's they have out at any given time! I don't think anybody working for Samsung could list, explain and justify just one of their product ranges and why each model exists and how it differs from the next.

kradcliffe    152

Strange you should mention that. Went in to John Lewis looking for a new 32" (as the Sony my son got for Xmas only lasted 2 weeks)

The "Samsung" man was utterly clueless. He knew how the models were made up, but couldn't say what the difference was between any of them. I asked him what the difference was between the UE32J5500 & UE32J5600 and he denied the 5600 even existed and argued with me until I showed him it on the Currys website. Still couldn't answer the question.

I ended up getting the UE32H6400 which is the spec I was looking for, but because it's a 2014 model (and actually still sold by JL) he never even knew about it.

Sometimes these in-store "experts" do more harm than good, but Samsung's product range is at the point of saturation and totally confusing for the end customer.

Milhouse    355

Also, high-end smartphone hardware is so powerful now that it's hard to improve on it in any meaningful way. Most phone hardware is "good enough", why the need to upgrade? It's what happened to PCs about 5-10 years ago.

normal    345

Agreed. Screen technology and processing power are already beyond what most users need. The only differentiators now are build quality, camera and batter life. Samsung isn't class leading in any of them, and so their market is disappearing to all the others. If the Chinese companies crack the quality camera, then I think there'll be blood on the floor with the likes of Samsung, Sony, HTC and LG all being in serious trouble.

kradcliffe    152

My son has had the Honor 7 since October. For £210 it is simply magnificent.

OK, in my opinion the camera isn't that great (not close to my Note 4) but that's really the only negative for it. The build quality is superb, fingerprint scanner really does work, the extra button is really handy and it has either dual SIM or SD support.

The Samsung handsets are nowhere near £400 better. Simple fact. My first Huawei was pretty terrible (but OK for £90) but they have really upped their game.

His school is full of 13 year olds with iphones (most with smashed screens of course) and their parents are paying £50 a month for the privilege. His phone was £210 outright and £7.50 a month with Tesco which gives him 750mb with family perks as my wife is with them as well.

The days of people spending silly money on handsets and tariffs is slowly coming to an end .......

satsuma    178

Have played with new flagship - it's really meh.

More of the same with very little cosmetic difference.

Leaks from informed sources mostly correct.

Actually more excited about the LG flagship....

MadDog    464

It is going to be interesting times over the next few years. I think people may start to see the cost savings in the chinese handsets.  People will be tied into the Apple ecosystem any will struggle to leave, but when they see that people are saving and what they can do with Android, will they jump ship?

I just hope we don't get the same thing that has happened to Kia and Hyundai - they used to be cheap cars, but the prices have crept up to to Ford/Vauxhall prices

The sister-in-law loves her new Wiley Fox, and if it wasn't for the physical keyboard on the Priv I may well have been looking at Huawei as my next phone......so long as I could get it to stock android!

Having used the Sony Z series, Moto-G and the Priv, which are pretty much stock android, I don't think I could have a phone that is modded/skinned - I have a HTC M9 for work and can't love Sense

satsuma    178

I won't be bothering to acquire the new Samsung. The software is annoying. Will prob go for a Nexus and/or a Moto or Sony fir the reasons you mentioned.

mcgrad    74

I went for a Moto X Play Dual sim for my back up travel phone

Have you got Marshmallow yet Normal? What does Doze and the huge battery mean in practice?

Milhouse    355

Can you make a trademark out of a generic description of how a product functions? I doubt people will start talking about "never off" displays simply because Samsung have blagged trademark rights to "always on" which is a term that's been used for many years to describe screens that are... you know... always on. I'd like to see Samsung try to enforce this trademark, assuming it's even granted and not tossed out for being vernacular and therefore virtually unenforceable.

Ajax    13

I just hope we don't get the same thing that has happened to Kia and Hyundai - they used to be cheap cars, but the prices have crept up to to Ford/Vauxhall

I would put money on that happening. They won't want to stay in the budget space for ever. Even if they have no intention now several years down the line if they have the opportunity why wouldn't they?Samsung weren't viewed as a credible premium brand in the early days of mobile. That's taken a long time to change. Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

hecatae    9

Yay, bought a S6 Clear View cover,

Yay, it scratched my screen

Gone back to my S View Cover

satsuma    178

Just had 10 minutes with a Note 7.

What. An. Amazing. Piece. Of. Kit  :)

It feels so small in the hand compared to other 'big' phones I have like an iPhone 6S+ or Nexus 6P.

It feels comfortable naked, I'm not sure I would bother with a case given it's IP68 rating for dust and water.

The USB-C is a real plus IMHO, I've found this port to be so mucg easier to use and more reliable on the 6P than traditional micro USB.

Aesthetically, this is the most beautiful smartphone I've ever played with - will make iPhone 6+, 6S+ and 7+ (based on leaked photos) look positively clunky.

The one I played with doesn't have final software but it's blisteringly fast and the screen is truly gorgeous.

The UI in Touchwizz  is far easier to navigate nowadays and Samsung's icons have their own beauty.

The one in the office is black but if I were to have my own, I'd want blue.

S-Pen worked well but I'm not familiar with all the short-cuts so there would need to be a learning curve there.

If I wasn't wedded to the Apple ecosystem I would be pre-ordering already and using as my main phone.

Will stick my neck out and say this handset will be the best smartphone money can buy this side of Christmas and probably quite a few months beyond.

kradcliffe    152

From the outside it just seems to be a slightly bigger S7 edge with a stylus. I don't think the edge screen should be on the Note. It's supposed to be a business class device and they have blinged it up like the S7 with scary colours. 

I'm sure it will sell but really can't see the point of it over the S7 edge. 

Personally I have stuck the S7 edge in a drawer as I find the Note 4 far better handset.