satsuma

What's going on at Samsung

normal    345

I really don't understand why companies pay celebrities to be ambassadors when it goes wrong more often then it goes right. Who is this guy by the way?

jonmorris    184

I expect it would normally work in Korea, and Samsung still haven't fully appreciated that they don't have the same level of control over people outside of their home market.

Winterman    33

I really don't understand why companies pay celebrities to be ambassadors when it goes wrong more often then it goes right. Who is this guy by the way?

You don't know who Lebron James is? Fourth highest paid sports man in the world, two time NBA champ, four time NBA MVP, two time Olympic gold medal winner, partner in David Beckham's Miami soccer franchise.

Y'know, Lebron James.

normal    345

Oh. That Lebron James... Still never heard of him. :D

Whilst I was in Barcelona, I noticed a huge amount of Samsung ads with Messi. None of Ronaldo curiously.... Oh, and Rooney really does look ugly, even in ads.

Winterman    33

So to summarise

1) in Barcelona

2) huge amount of Samsung ads with Messi

3) None of Ronaldo curiously.... 

Catalans...

RobM    195

Samsung release a Ultrasonic Case and Optical Scan Stand.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/samsungs-ultrasonic-case-is-like-a-guide-dog-in-your-smartphone/

What am i missing here, what's the benefit?

The answer to your question is in the link you provided - one helps scan surrounding areas as you walk, warning you if you're about to bump into something. The other scans text and reads it aloud. Two great ideas for the visually impaired IMO.

mcgrad    74

Would a visually impaired person be using a touch centric smart phone to begin with?Would you honestly rely on a device with limited battery power to use the ultrasonic functionality or would use a more traditional approach?Creating a problem for a solution. Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

RobM    195

Any such solution to aid people will be battery powered, otherwise they wouldn't be able to leave home. I don't see that as an issue, after all things like this are to aid life, not rule it, so would be used for short or specific purposes rather than all-day, every-day. I'm sure over time they will be developed to be more efficient and maybe come fitted to cases with a battery inside.

It also depends on the level of visual impairment, as clearly somebody who can't use a smartphone with the accessibility features turned on won't benefit. Somebody with enough visibility to do that - with the high-contrast, over-sized settings enabled - but perhaps lowered ability to judge objects and distance would benefit from the Ultrasonic case. It works for objects up to a couple of meters away, so being portable allows people in unfamiliar surroundings to understand their surroundings better.

For the text-to-speech, again that's going to be of benefit to people who have limited vision but struggle with detail. Think about food packaging as an example, which tends to have very small text that somebody might want to read. All they need to do is scan it with this and let it speak it out loud, which I think is a superb idea. Same for newspaper and magazine articles, letters / cards, anything really. 

As you can probably tell, I don't think this is creating a problem for a solution, but using modern technology to help people with visual impairments. There is a massively wide range of potential sight problems that could benefit from this sort of innovation.

Milhouse    355

I did smile at the last one, when the penny finally drops for the Apple user that their "superior technology" is actually second rate and all down to marketing buzz words... I've experienced that exact situation on more than a few occasions (and responded in a similar way - their ego is bruised enough, just leave it at a knowing smile!) :)

Shock    36

Funny.. But a bit childish.

Is it being run on UK TV channels?

BlueBird    7

Another 4-5 will be opening over the next week too.From speaking to the teams involves it'll be nothing like a CPW experience at all.Dedicated Samsung trainers delivering sessions everyday. Handle all Samsung questions, repairs etc, regardless of where purchased. Massive range of Sammy acc's.

Shock    36

I can add this to the Apple store, as one of those I have no interest in visiting.

normal    345

If there's 4GB of on board storage, I can't imagine Samsung will leave much space for apps.

jonmorris    184

A memory card slot is okay, although thanks to KitKat you'll be limited now on what you can do with it for your own content, but 512MB RAM and a dual core processor? I know Google is always trying to make the OS more nimble, but there's only so much you can do. That's bound to be sluggish, or make apps quit far too often.

Still think the Moto G is the one.

RobM    195

The Moto G will still win this one-on-one battle thanks to its better spec's, more storage and far less bloated OS. The spec:pound with the Moto G is far better than most smartphones at the moment (Nexus 5 aside).

This is yet another low-spec Samsung Android handset that yet again comes bloated with Touchwiz.

satsuma    178

Some news staright from the horse's mouth:

Samsung will do an Android-wear-based watch later this year and a Tizen phone. From the Verge quoting Reuters who interviewed Yoon Han-kil, senior vice president of Samsung's Product Strategy team.

Most interesting tidbit for me....

Yoon said Samsung was also planning to launch a new version of the Galaxy Note with a "new form factor" in the second half, without elaborating.

This suggests the use of of Samsung Youm (flexible OLED brandname) in the Note 4, could be quite exciting.

normal    345

Imagine a book /wallet shaped Note with an OLED screen acting as it's hinge so you got a massive screen when you opened it....