normal

The Football Transfer Rumours Thread

Milhouse    352

First game of the season. Last season didn't start so well, but ended nicely. :)

Worry more about whose door Liverpool knock on with £100mn+ in their back pocket keen to make their next panic buy. We all know Levi doesn't like to spend big money but he's more than happy to receive it.

Rvn    101

Maybe they will just stop messing around and buy Southampton.

Milhouse    352

So Oxlade-Chamberlain has rejected a move to Chelsea, because we won't play him in his preferred central midfield position (which isn't really a position I'd say he's suited to, but if he thinks he is then good luck to him).

I'm actually quite glad, as I'm not sure we need him, certainly not in central midfield where he'd be 3rd or 4th in the pecking order (behind Kante, Bakayoko and Fabregas), nor as wingback which is where Conte apparently wanted him and where we already have decent (if not sufficient) cover with Alonso, Azpilicueta, Moses and Aina so he wouldn't be guaranteed game-time. Perhaps Conte simply wanted a bit more depth in that position, in which case splurging £40m on "cover" is bad business for all concerned and Oxlade-Chamberlain has made the right decision (thank God!)

So good luck to "The Ox" when he joins Liverpool and has to fight for a place with Kieta, Can, Henderson and Wijnaldum only to end up as a replacement for Moreno. No doubt he'll be sold by Arsenal for less than we were offering now that we're no longer in the running.

Following his move to Liverpool I give it 3 months before he has the contents of his house nicked. :)

Milhouse    352

Now that the Oxlade-Chamberlain deal is thankfully dead, I'd like to see the Mahrez deal come off - he'd bring that extra bit of quality that Oxlade-Chamberlain just didn't have.

Not so sure about Drinkwater though, solid player, but nothing really special, although did link up well with Kante at Leicester. Squad member material, extra depth/cover but unlikely to be a #1 choice. I doubt he'll get a vast amount of gametime unless we're struck by a run of bad injuries.

Definitely hope we don't sign Barkley. Why sign him when we have Loftus Cheek?

Rvn    101

Plenty of squad level players potentially moving about, but the significant one for the title race would be Sanchez to City, if if happens.

normal    340

Spurs linked with Mahrez, Aurier  and Llorente. Don't think any will happen 

Rvn    101

I think you'll get Aurier but Mahrez has also been linked with us, Barca and Chelsea. He'll probably end up at arsenal!

normal    340

I'd like to see Mahrez at Spurs because of his attitude. I don't understand why we're considering selling Janssen if we sign Llorente. I'd imagine we need 3 strikers, otherwise we have to play with false 9's at times.

Milhouse    352

Blimey! Spurs have actually signed someone!! Aurier for £23m. However, unless they sign another 2-3 players in the next few hours, weighing up the balance of ins and outs this window, I'd say Spuds are now weaker than they were this time last season. The only gains have been to Podgetino's waistline - he's now got a fine pair of moobs, very pert...

Looks like Sanchez gets to sulk in North London for another window or two as the Citeh deal ain't happening. Although there is still 4 hours to go, maybe Citeh will come back with an improved offer: "£60m... and £1". Madness turning down £60m for a player who walks in 12 months, but then I guess Arsenal would be sunk without him, which shows what a mess the club are in (not helped with most of their business this window being the selling of players, much like Spurs).

Fernando Llorente to Chelsea doesn't look to be happening. Oh well, just have to work with what we got, then.

Rvn    101

I guess Lemar didn't want take a step down to Arsenal!
PSG looking even more dangerous in attack with Mbappe on loan. Coutinho might well be staying too after Barca bought Dembele. But after his failed unveiling they might panic and buy someone. Anyone.

Milhouse    352

Didn't Coutinho put in a transfer request? I wonder how happy he'll be having to stay in Liverpool when he could be paying much less on his home contents insurance in Barcelona.

Milhouse    352

Llorente to Spuds is apparently a done deal. That Levy, he loves his last minute deals! :)

Milhouse    352

The window shuts (although still another 24 hours for Spanish clubs to bother Liverpool).

Apparently Barkley snubbed Chelsea after passing a medical - thank God for that! Another average player, not sure why we're even talking to players of that calibre! Maybe he looked at the players ahead of him and realised he wasn't going to be first choice.

normal    340

Spurs did ok in the transfer window. We signed Llorente, Davinson Sanchez, Juan Foyth, Serge Aurier. We sold Kyle Walker and Kevin Wimmer. The only fly in the ointment is that we still have Sissoko. We could have done with another attacking midfielder, ideally to play on the left wing. I would have like Zaha or Mahrez.

I think we're stronger than last season, but I'm not sure we're strong enough for a top 4 slot this season.

Milhouse    352

Foyth is a 19 year old who has played hardly any first-team football, so as a signing he's an absolute unknown quantity. Llorente is a positive signing though, and improvements at the back is really what Spurs have needed.

Still, at least you did better than Arsenal!

Milhouse    352

Chelsea reported to be receiving £57m for the sulking Brazilian - pretty good business after we bought him for £32m. No loyalty bonus (LOL!) for Costa either. I'm happy with that... bye bye Diego, and good riddance.

It also means we basically signed Morata for £3m.

I hope we now stuff Atletico over both legs, and Costa ends up playing in the Europa come January. :)

Milhouse    352

Oi! I resemble that remark! :)

But seriously, no... it's hard to respect a player - irrespective of what they have achieved - that hasn't wanted to be at the club for almost 2 seasons, and who now refuses to honour his playing contract by not turning up to do his very well paid job. Costa is an utter disgrace to the footballing "profession" and I'd be very happy if I never hear of him ever again.

Rvn    101
Oi! I resemble that remark!
But seriously, no... it's hard to respect a player - irrespective of what they have achieved - that hasn't wanted to be at the club for almost 2 seasons, and who now refuses to honour his playing contract by not turning up to do his very well paid job. Costa is an utter disgrace to the footballing "profession" and I'd be very happy if I never hear of him ever again.

Is it really all on him or could Conte and Chelsea have handled his departure more professionally?

I always enjoyed watching him bully defenders and fight for his team.

Milhouse    352

I think you could say they're both to blame, but Costa has apparently been wanting to leave for almost 2 seasons (first China, then back to Atletico, which you never heard about from the club) but as soon as Conte texts Costa telling him he's not part of the future (something he'd already told Costa in January, btw), Costa (or his agent) goes running to the press accusing Conte and the club of being the bad guy.

Costa on the pitch is a beast, a very good striker. But off it, he's a total headcase and highly disruptive. He won't be missed.

Milhouse    352

Carlo Ancelotti is available after being sacked by Bayern Munich.

Everton fans take note... taxi for Koeman?

Rvn    101
Carlo Ancelotti is available after being sacked by Bayern Munich.
Everton fans take note... taxi for Koeman?

Bilic is on thin ice too and I bet Parish has an itchy trigger finger at Palace. Hopefully Carlo doesn't replace Klopp. With a decent defence Liverpool could finally mount a serious title challenge.