mcgrad    74

It still looks better than the iWatch in my opinion.

But the beauty of the pebble is not necessarily in the thinness of the bezels but the fact it just works....as a watch. Its the perfect compromise between having a watch that you can actually use to tell the time, with the added benefits of notifications.

Having a moto 360 that doesn't have a battery to last a day isn't particularly smart or even watch like

When Android Wear and the iWatch can provide a 7 day battery life, then there are alternative Smart Watches, until then, there's Pebble.

kradcliffe    153

To be honest, I just dock and charge the G Watch R overnight before I go to bed. Maybe doesn't suit everyone but because I never wear a watch to sleep it's fine for me.

There's usually well over 60% left at the end of each day so I could probably get 3 days out of it at a push ..... and that's with the screen on all the time too.

MadDog    464

I can't argue about the 7 day battery life - but why make it so dammed fugly and cheap looking?

I could get 3 days out of my SW3 with a little bit of tweaking - but I only charge mine every other day

MeKeV    98

It really doesnt look that bad, it could have looked better (and as per the quote I posted, we might see a more premium version, ie steel equivalent, sooner rather than later).

But again I really don't think it looks bad at all. And on the same hand I really don't think the iWatch looks that fantastic either.

In a blind test of which of these two photos was of a cheap knock off, I'd 100% go for the iWatch. Perhaps not it's most flattering angle, but the pebble, flat on, doesn't show the full picture either.

Posted Image Posted Image

It's all subjective at the end of the day I suppose.

jonmorris    184

It's all about what is shown on the screen. For me, the Pebble way is the more sensible way of doing a smartwatch. And I said that from the outset.

Sure, if LG, Sony, HTC or Samsung want to come up with a snazzy LG Watch R style design and throw in an outdoor readable e-paper display, I'll choose that - but until then, I'm okay with what Pebble has come up with.

I won't be embarrassed to wear it.

Jamz    10

It's all about what is shown on the screen. For me, the Pebble way is the more sensible way of doing a smartwatch. And I said that from the outset.

Sure, if LG, Sony, HTC or Samsung want to come up with a snazzy LG Watch R style design and throw in an outdoor readable e-paper display, I'll choose that - but until then, I'm okay with what Pebble has come up with.

I won't be embarrassed to wear it.

Me either Jon, love my G1 Pebble it last so long and is just a watch with some extra features..  I love it  this was a no brainer for me as I was about to upgrade to a steel.

Jamz    10

I can't argue about the 7 day battery life - but why make it so dammed fugly and cheap looking?

I could get 3 days out of my SW3 with a little bit of tweaking - but I only charge mine every other day

Each to their own Maddog, I think the SW3 is ridiculously large... 

MadDog    464

If you look on the Pebble website, they've cunningly used a black watch face to disguise all that bezel

RobM    195

That looks so much better! Shows it's not that hard to make a watch (a personal fashion accessory as well as a functional device) that doesn't look cheap and tacky!

A bigger screen would make it even better still, but I guess const constraints may play a part in that.

kradcliffe    153

Why didn't they just announce both at the same time. Something dodgy going on here...... 

Still think the design is poor. The unused space is a bit extreme! 

jonmorris    184

I'm not sure if I want the Steel now. The bezel looks worse, and I quite like the black/red ordinary Pebble Time.

RobM    195

With a black screen I think the bezel looks better, but having seen some more shots with colour on the screen, it looks daft. I think the colour screen may be the thing I struggle with on the plastic version, it just doesn't look as good as the black and white original.

MeKeV    98

I reckon the constraint is backwards compatibility. They've gone out of their way to make sure development done to date is still relevant on the new watch, and future development will work on the old devices. Each pixel counts at these small scales. We remember the Android screen fragmentation crys back before the development tools matured.

The screen is the exact same resolution as the bw version. I'd guess they tried a bigger screen (maintaining the same resolution) but it didn't work out right.

This may all be total be nonsense :D ...... But if it isn't, it actually counts for a lot, both in the business sense keeping the eco system relevant and good faith to those who bought/developed on the previous generation.

MeKeV    98

With a black screen I think the bezel looks better, but having seen some more shots with colour on the screen, it looks daft. I think the colour screen may be the thing I struggle with on the plastic version, it just doesn't look as good as the black and white original.

I'm expecting the screen to look much better in real life compared to photos, the way it reflects light and how the bw screen gets better in direct sunlight.

Milhouse    355

Couldn't they have just made the watch, you know, smaller? Half the width/height of the face is fricking bezel. It's utterly ridiculous.

Milhouse    355

Never owned a G-Shock in my life! :)

Though I did have a Casio calculator watch when I was at school... I was the king of Number Invaders.

kradcliffe    153

Playing it now as we speak on my CA-851

The metal Casio watches from the early 80s look superb. The pebble won't have the same appeal in 30 years time

MeKeV    98

:lol:

My complaint with the steel time is that it really doesn't look different enough from the standard time. They're far too similar looking.

PS. Sorry Millhouse, my mistake!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead