hal    120

Is it free to book a session? I'd book one with no intention of turning up. Hell, I'd book as many as I could... Or turn up, listen to their spiel, then when they're close to thinking they've sealed the deal, ask if it works with your Samsung phone. :)Booking a session to try on a smartwatch? FFS, talk about artificially trying to raise the prestige of a gadget to ridiculous proportions.

...and yet that's exactly what it will achieve. They'll sell millions despite being last to market. Good 'ole Apple...  ;)

If the crazy crowds at Apple Store Regent St were anything to go by when I went (with an appointment), the appointment system is actually quite good as it means people get seen pretty swiftly and smoothly (and there's less grief for those who don't make an appointment but still get seen, just slightly more slowly). Appointments free to book but linked to iTunes account,.

I'm sure it varies from store to store, but I tried on 6 different ones, and got no hard sell at all - not least because you can't buy them, only try them on!

Still not convinced that I need one in my life over my 20 year old mechanical watch....

phoneboy    6

I cancelled my order an can honestly say that I'm not disappointed at all. May reconsider looking again if they release a Watch Plus with say 47mm screen minimum. 

satsuma    178

Doesn't look Apple Watch will be easily upgradeable.

The iFixit teardown shows the heart of the device, the S1 SOC, as having a mess of glue resin and other connectors underneath when you tear the top off.

They tore apart a Sport model and are still doing the 'Steel' model which seems to be the same.

kradcliffe    153

Because the internal components will be out of date in no time. Just look at the spec difference between the original ipad and today's one .... and that's less than 5 years!

mcgrad    74

I never owned any peice of cunsumer electronics, other than my PC that has user upgradable parts, why would people expect otherwise in the Apple Watch?

Apple has a lot of genuine citicisim levelled at it, but non-upgrabable parts on their watch is not one of them.

Milhouse    355

Consumer electronics have always enjoyed short lifetimes (sub 5 years). Expensive watches you might keep a lifetime. There's the conflict, with smartwatches.

Simmotino    33

Consumer electronics have always enjoyed short lifetimes (sub 5 years). Expensive watches you might keep a lifetime. There's the conflict, with smartwatches.

I don't want to have to wear the same watch every day, so until someone designs a modular smart watch with interchangeable cases it's not a market I'll be joining any time soon, especially if they remain more of a ladies watch in size.

Milhouse    355

Expanding on my previous comment, it's a problem with Smart TVs too - the "smart" functionality is often out of date/obsolete/unsupported long before the rest of the device has ceased to function. Case in point, YouTube has just decommissioned a version of their API used in smart TVs sold circa 2006/2007, with no sign of any updates from the manufacturers (Sony, Panasonic etc.).

The problem is, buyers of these sets - through no fault of their own - are now faced with this issue a few years after buying the device. I suspect it's not a current concern for many smartwatch owners, but might become one sooner than later.

satsuma    178

I would imagine future iterations of Apple Watch having improvements in processor power, memory, sensors, screen technology, etc

This would definitely lead to a very different level of experience in, say, 3 years.

So being able to upgrade is an issue when your smartwatch costs more than a couple of thousand pounds.

Apple is selling the Watch Edition at the same prices as a luxury watch. (£8000-13000 approximately for Watch Edition)

The luxury watch experience hasn't changed much for decades - you look at the watch, it tells you the time.

The smart watch experience is much more than that.

Yeah I know there's some extremely wealthy people that wouldn't think twice about dropping another £10,000 on a 2nd or 3rd generation Watch Edition but I know plenty of people that would have the money to buy a £10,000 watch and then baulk at the diea of having to by another one 3 years later to be "up to date" in terms of experience and functionality.

Milhouse    355

I can't see it being cost effective to upgrade the cheaper watches, but it might be possible to offer an upgrade service for the Edition - charging say £1000 to upgrade a £10K watch might be considered reasonable by owners of such watches, particularly given the alternative which is for it to become a very expensive paperweight. However this assumes the internals of future watches will remain mechanically compatible with Gen1 watches, which might tie Apples hands on future watch designs somewhat if that is their aim.

normal    346

Strictly speaking, they'd only have to swap the watch and keep the strap design the same. Everyone knows the cost is in the price, not the actual cost of making it. £1-2000 for an upgrade doesn't sound so ridiculous as an upgrade (to other people). I guess that's why the Swiss watchmakers are feeling comfy right now.

RobM    195

Upgradability is as much of an issue here as it is with smartphones IMO.

While there are many comparisons, these aren't normal watches where a long term lifespan is a concern, they're closer to smartphones.

I'm willing to bet that there won't be big demand for upgrades at any price level. The biggest selling model is at the cheaper end and I expect most people will upgrade every couple of years. At the top end, with the Edition, the target audience won't think twice about upgrading each year.

normal    346

I read that too! It does make me worry about my purchase. I guess I'll start finding out on Wednesday when I get my hands on mine. I also saw this handy guide on how to set up an Apple Watch. Seems a PITA.

satsuma    178

I read that too! It does make me worry about my purchase. I guess I'll start finding out on Wednesday when I get my hands on mine. I also saw this handy guide on how to set up an Apple Watch. Seems a PITA.

If you're expectations are of a Version 1 product then you'll probably be quite satisfied.

I'm still in 2 minds about whether to get one.

I think I probably will once there's more stock available - but it will definitely be the entry level 42mm one.

Anything more expensive is likely to be superseded in a year or two and make me feel ripped off.

TheSuper    2

Looks like the Sport model's "ion glass" may not be that tough 

The guys reaction in that video was hilarious! I was seriously lolling!Are you serious Apple? :D

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead