normal    346

Seemed a bit odd that the most talked about smartwatch didn't have it's own thread, so here it is....

In related news, it seems that Apple may have struck a deal with two suppliers for the OLED screens, one not being Samsung....

RobM    195

Not if the screen didn't go all the way around the wrist, but was only placed in certain positions. The majority would be bracelet I'm sure, perhaps containing the necessary batteries and sensors for this to work.

RobM    195

The design, the style and the concept I like... but it needs to be toned down a little bit. Less iOS7 and more 'Pebble' or Nike FuelBand. You won't be watching TV on it, or viewing pictures, you just want efficient and easy to view information at a glance. It's supposed to be a quicker way of being informed and notified than getting your phone out and IMO, four of the five pictures above get in the way of that - only the middle style looks right to me.

That said, I'm clearly not the target market as I've got a chip on my shoulder about smartwatches in general. No idea why, probably a romantic annoyance that the only non-electronic 'gadget' area I really enjoy is watches.

What I would like though is a wearable 'life' sensor that will monitor me and my sleep, blood pressure, heart rate, stress, activity (steps, distance traveled, time moving etc) and other such things. A few bands like this appeared at CES so hopefully they aren't far away.

normal    346

I really like the concept pictures, but then again, I've liked the concept pictures for so much stuff in the past....

mcgrad    74

But that is an iBangle, not an iWatch.

That design would exclude a lot of the male market, i mean what guy would want to wear a bangle?

mcgrad    74

That's far to feminine to be a unisex device.

I doubt i would ever see any of my male fiends, in social or professional circles wearing an iBangle.

RobM    195

I'm seeing it an awful lot more these days. I don't think a matt-black thing like that is particularly feminine, it looks like a FuelBand with a more detailed screen and plenty of men wear those.

normal    346

I will inevitably get some sort of device at some point in the future. Apple is the most likely one, but then again, it will probably only work with an iPhone, so may not be definite, but still probable. I like the look in picture...

MadDog    464

Reading your link, that seems to be slight overkill? Sounds like Apple are adding functionality to back up a stupidly expensive watch?

RobM    195

It's the future, IMO. It gives otherwise gimmicky Smartwatches a practical purpose. I've seen others that can monitor stress levels and then of course there are sleep patterns. Stick it all together into something wearable all-day, every-day and you've got a great product, IMO.

Of course it won't appeal to everyone, but at least it's not just a plastic watch that tells you when someone has poked your Facebook.

satsuma    178

If you talk to people in the industry, they're going big on wearable sensors and interpeting that data for personal use.

Check out this start-up that was spun out of Nokia. Accurate heart rate monitor wrist-borne.

Expect to hear a lot more about this later in the year.

And I suppose most of us have read about Google's smart contact lens.

jonmorris    184

I met a man working with Immersion, but actually from Samsung, at an event we ran earlier this week - and he spoke of some plans of the next Galaxy Gear watch.

As someone who is no fan of the current Gear, I have to say that it was quite interesting - and quite logical.

Basically, using the multiple sensors in the watch, will allow game developers to use the Gear as a second screen (perhaps more for a phone/tablet connected to a TV) as well as the remote. No need to hold a controller like for a Wii, or a camera, just wave your arm.

Only possible issue with that is I wear my watch on the left arm but am right-handed.

But, I think we're going to see some innovation with all of these wearables in the future - and I'm of the opinion that simply trying to be like a mini version of a phone (as all the concept photos of an iWatch are) is way off the mark.

The success will come from simplicity and conveying information, like the Pebble, or for specific uses - such as fitness, motion control, a second screen that works WITH a device (and for Samsung, this could just as likely be using your Gear to relay information from a Smart TV).

mcgrad    74

Only possible issue with that is I wear my watch on the left arm but am right-handed.

I hadn't really thought about it, but i wear my watch the same way?

It this not the normal way for Right handed people to wear watches?

RobM    195

The correct way to wear a watch is on your right wrist. I'm right handed, so I wear it on my right wrist. Makes sense to me  ;)  :lol:

satsuma    178

iWatch will run a version of iOS 8 and have a curved OLED screen, it will allegedly be launched at an event in October, probably about a month after the new iPhones.

Re/code are also saying October and they are founded by Mossberg who's close to Apple.

Apple confident enough tp rpoduce 3-5 million units a month apparently.

Yeap, I'll take at least two please  :)

normal    346

It's going to be an interesting autumn. iPhone in September. iWatch and iPad in October. Just iTV will be left...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead