normal

The What's Going on at Apple Thread

normal    344

I'm really hoping lust doesn’t overcome me when mine arrive 😃

RobM    195
11 hours ago, Rvn said:

What about where the screen is missing at the top? Does that not interfere with using the device?

After an hour or so, you stop noticing. There are occasional reminders depending on what app you’re in, but the majority of the time it’s not something you think about. 

I’m enjoying it more all the time, the screen, layout tweaks and gestures actually add to the experience in a really positive, but subtle way. 

hal    120

Screen is great and notch is total non-issue. Unlock is as reliable as Touch ID. Camera excellent. 

It’s without question best iPhone. 

I think the debate now is a software one - iOS vs what Google are doing in android on the Pixels. 

RobM    195

I don’t think that picture has changed in years; both are good and bad at different things. It’s largely irrelevant though, as the real question that determines your choice, is do I feel tied to iMessage or not?

hal    120
2 hours ago, RobM said:

I don’t think that picture has changed in years; both are good and bad at different things. It’s largely irrelevant though, as the real question that determines your choice, is do I feel tied to iMessage or not?

I am......and to the app ecosystem generally.

Have to to say though - more and more I use it, the more and more I am loving it. Forgot what I liked about  products. 

Majed    51

First of all, for some reason I cannot brows the forum using Tapatalk?!

I went out and found me a Silver 256GB iPhone X and so I picked it up yesterday and have been loving it so far. 

Everything that has been mentioned here applies to me. The screen vs the phone size is perfect and the gestures (including Face ID) just work perfectly and without any reason to miss Touch ID or the home button. 

Overall, very pleased with it. 

kradcliffe    150

Had a look at the X today at the Apple store.

I absolutely love the design, beautiful in the hand. The notch doesn't actually bother me at all to be honest. The display is sublime and very bright.

Far far nicer than the Note 8, S8 etc. Shame I'm so heavily in to Android or it would be an option. The assistant said many people had commented on the price being high but they were all sold out. Wouldn't actually admit how many they had sold though.

RobM    195

I used Apple Pay for the first time this morning. It was as un-dramatic as it always has been. It was slightly more convenient, if anything, as once FaceID has recognised you, there's no need to hold a button, or do anything particular to ensure it works.

hal    120
16 minutes ago, RobM said:

I used Apple Pay for the first time this morning. It was as un-dramatic as it always has been. It was slightly more convenient, if anything, as once FaceID has recognised you, there's no need to hold a button, or do anything particular to ensure it works.

...also slightly easier with the double tap side button gesture as it works from any screen. With my iPhone 8 you had catch it at the precise moment between screen wake and unlock for the double home button gesture to work without just unlocking the phone!

Rvn    103

Why does going to an Apple store have to be such a tasteless experience? Chav city!

MeKeV    96
On 06/11/2017 at 8:56 AM, RobM said:

I love how the most easiest and best things in the world that couldnt be easier or betterer, are even easier and betterer as soon as the new way comes around.

Rvn    103

Is it just me or are new phones underwhelming? On impulse I've had the X and 8 plus reserved but on second thoughts I'm very happy with my 6S and can't see any reason to change it! A bigger, better screen and battery would be nice as would wireless charging and IP67/68 rating, but after playing with both new iPhones the real world improvement to my eyes is marginal. If anything, it's a testament to how good 2-3 year old flagships still are and marginal progress since then.

Now if there was a dual SIM iPhone....

normal    344

I bought an iPhone X for fun, played with it for a few days, and returned it. 

I really like my 8 plus. Photos and battery life are far better than my partner's 6s.

Milhouse    354

Can't find the article now, might have been on the BBC, but it basically quoted a mobile industry executive saying that waterproofing doesn't break into the top #10 of customer requested features while increased battery life is the #1 requested improvement. So what do we get from literally every phone manufacturer in the last year or so? Yep you guessed it, nothing that we the consumer want (if anything, reduced battery lifetime), and instead features that almost nobody cares about. Can't blame the manufacturers though, we still buy what they're selling in increasing numbers so we only have ourselves to blame.

normal    344

Battery life was a key factor for me with the 8 plus. I seriously hammer screen time these days. The only negative is the size, but it's manageable.

Only Android phone which tempts me is a dual sim Huawei Mate 10 Pro, but I just like iOS and I seriously benefit from the Apple ecosystem  with a MacBookPro, Watch, Airpods and the rest of the family on iOS.

hal    120
19 minutes ago, normal said:

Battery life was a key factor for me with the 8 plus. I seriously hammer screen time these days. The only negative is the size, but it's manageable.

Only Android phone which tempts me is a dual sim Huawei Mate 10 Pro, but I just like iOS and I seriously benefit from the Apple ecosystem  with a MacBookPro, Watch, Airpods and the rest of the family on iOS.

I have found the battery life on the X to be excellent. It’s the first iPhone I can go a day without charging (given admittedly the very heavy use my iphones often get during the working day). It may be somewhat due to the phone being new compared to my 7, but on a really busy day my 7 could be 50% down my lunch and would never last till evening without a charge unless I basically didn’t use it. 

Rvn    103

The connectivity settings on IOS11 are a bit of a pain though. Apple, when I want WiFi or Bluetooth off via a toggle, I'm not interested in airdrop etc! I know I want it off not actually on (even though you say it's disconnected until tomorrow) in the background! Force touch on the shortcut grid to kill WiFi etc instead of going old school via settings would be a nice improvement.

Rvn    103
I have found the battery life on the X to be excellent. It’s the first iPhone I can go a day without charging (given admittedly the very heavy use my iphones often get during the working day). It may be somewhat due to the phone being new compared to my 7, but on a really busy day my 7 could be 50% down my lunch and would never last till evening without a charge unless I basically didn’t use it. 

Hal have you had any problems with people hearing you during calls - especially WiFi calls?

hal    120
1 hour ago, Rvn said:

Hal have you had any problems with people hearing you during calls - especially WiFi calls?

Not that I have experienced yet. Pretty clear to be honest - I’ve tried cell, Wifi calling on VF, and FaceTime audio. The latter is crystal clear. 

Rvn    103
Not that I have experienced yet. Pretty clear to be honest - I’ve tried cell, Wifi calling on VF, and FaceTime audio. The latter is crystal clear. 

Ok I'll have to monitor the WiFi calling. The easy solution is to turn it off as cellular calling is fine. Otherwise I'm glad I upgraded now - the lack of a home button is a distant memory! Swiping is so intuitive.

MeKeV    96

It's shocking that the High Sierra root access bug hasn't been more widely in the news. Surely it has to go down as one of the bigger blunders in recent computering times?

The flaw is pretty bad in the first instance, but then it was known about in the wild for a couple weeks, but it had to hit more mainstream lines before Apple did anything about it.

normal    344
9 hours ago, MeKeV said:

It's shocking that the High Sierra root access bug hasn't been more widely in the news. Surely it has to go down as one of the bigger blunders in recent computering times?

The flaw is pretty bad in the first instance, but then it was known about in the wild for a couple weeks, but it had to hit more mainstream lines before Apple did anything about it.

You're right. 

Rvn    103
MacRumors did a really good test of wired and wireless charging for the iPhone https://www.macrumors.com/guide/iphone-x-fast-charging-speeds-compared/

Shame on Apple for still bundling an obsolete 5W charger with any phone, never mind those that cost £1000!

There is unsurprisingly a significant difference with the 30W charger I use with lightning cable. The two coil wireless charger I used with my Nexus 5 isn't bad either.