normal

The What's Going on at Apple Thread

normal    344

I should say that I don't have any android handsets with fast charging but a 30 minute charge gives me at least half a day's use.

Rvn    103
I should say that I don't have any android handsets with fast charging but a 30 minute charge gives me at least half a day's use.

I presume you're using a macbook charger and not the bundled iPhone charger to fast charge.

hal    120

iPhone X wait times went to 5-6 weeks within minutes.....will not be great for Apple over holiday season (although the spin will be “demand was unprecedented”). 

Majed    51

I have a silver one 256GB in 2-3 weeks from the US. Much cheaper than UK prices.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk

neuty    24

I had a 256gb Space Grey X in my basket for delivery on the 3rd and about to pay but cancelled last second. I have a 256gb Space Grey 8 and that is perfectly fine and so I think I will see how the Face ID works out then decide.

Rvn    103
I have a silver one 256GB in 2-3 weeks from the US. Much cheaper than UK prices.

How do apple deal with international warranty claims?

normal    344
2 hours ago, neuty said:

I had a 256gb Space Grey X in my basket for delivery on the 3rd and about to pay but cancelled last second. I have a 256gb Space Grey 8 and that is perfectly fine and so I think I will see how the Face ID works out then decide.

I've no intention of keeping them 😃

Jimbo    19
13 hours ago, Majed said:

Even after you add VAT and shipping?

Majed    51

How do apple deal with international warranty claims?

Every device is covered internationaly by Apple for a year.
I've never faced any issues with any iPhone and all have been bought from abroad.

Even after you add VAT and shipping?

These two pics reflect the price for the 256GB version both before tax and after tax (plus a friend is bringing it from the US to me so no shipping costs)

af30914108375e0d2d075aa447fe08df.jpg

96645d474146916cb12bcf4d79e966af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk

Jimbo    19
47 minutes ago, Majed said:

Every device is covered internationaly by Apple for a year.
I've never faced any issues with any iPhone and all have been bought from abroad.

These two pics reflect the price for the 256GB version both before tax and after tax (plus a friend is bringing it from the US to me so no shipping costs) emoji16.png

af30914108375e0d2d075aa447fe08df.jpg

96645d474146916cb12bcf4d79e966af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk

That's US sales tax, which is usually cool if your friend is bringing it in personally.

Landed cost if he gets caught would be £1090 after 3.7% duty + 20% VAT assuming he can claim back US sales tax :)

Edited by Jimbo
Bad math lol

neuty    24
2 hours ago, normal said:

I've no intention of keeping them 😃

Nice chunk of cash heading your way then :D

Majed    51
That's US sales tax, which is usually cool if your friend is bringing it in personally.
Landed cost if he gets caught would be £1090 after 3.7% duty + 20% VAT assuming he can claim back US sales tax

I live in Saudi mate, no such taxes here

Sent from my iPad Pro 10.5 using Tapatalk

satsuma    178

Woke up late and logged into Applestore app at 09:15 - still bagged a 256GB space grey iPhone X for some time before Dec 2nd.
Looking forward to it of course but excited at all.

Majed    51
Woke up late and logged into Applestore app at 09:15 - still bagged a 256GB space grey iPhone X for some time before Dec 2nd.
Looking forward to it of course but excited at all.
Look, I'm using the Galaxy Note 8 as my daily driver and I honestly think it's the best phone money can buy you right now (and compared to the iPhone X, I think it's an actual bargain for what it can do).
Having said that, I think this iPhone X will bring something I've been missing from Apple ever since the 3G & 3GS days and that's how good it will feel in the hands. Both physically and ergonomically. So I'm really looking forward to that.
I will miss the Note and S-Pen features but I'll be happy with a relatively small phone and a relatively big screen.

RobM    195

So... because I'm stupid / weak / foolish (delete as appropriate, or add your own), I got an iPhone X today, despite my comments about not doing so. I had one in my basket last week and decided against it, but totally flipped last night, so wen't and picked up a Space Grey 256GB version this morning.

Initial impressions are positive. The build and feeling in-hand are awesome, it's not as heavy as I thought it would be and feels both compact and huge at the same time. The screen size makes it feel massive in use, but when powered off, it's barely bigger than an iPhone 8. Those who own a non-Plus iPhone will know the feeling when they see the screen of a Plus iPhone... it's that, just temporarily, each time the screen is on. It'll become normal very soon I'm sure.

The gestures make total sense and are already very natural and very efficient. It feels so 'right' compared to the Home button already. FaceID works fairly naturally; if you combine it with Raise to Wake, you can pick it up and swipe up to unlock very fluidly, with FaceID doing its thing at the same time, with no need to wait. There's a very minor delay (the word 'FaceID' appears on screen while it waits), but it's no slower than TouchID.

The screen is superb (although I'm not convinced about True Tone, it's a bit yellow indoors for my liking), although it feels like a missed opportunity to not use the 8+ layout and screen optimisations. Everything else is every bit as good as the best of Apple iPhone screens.

Overall, I still don't think it fully justifies it's price tag, but it is bloody superb. The thing that made me go for it, was reading an article suggesting Apple didn't intend on releasing this until 2018, but managed to get it out early, meaning next years version of it will be a very minor refresh. It means I can see myself keeping it for longer and skipping a version.

neuty    24
2 hours ago, RobM said:

So... because I'm stupid / weak / foolish (delete as appropriate, or add your own), I got an iPhone X today, despite my comments about not doing so. I had one in my basket last week and decided against it, but totally flipped last night, so wen't and picked up a Space Grey 256GB version this morning.

Initial impressions are positive. The build and feeling in-hand are awesome, it's not as heavy as I thought it would be and feels both compact and huge at the same time. The screen size makes it feel massive in use, but when powered off, it's barely bigger than an iPhone 8. Those who own a non-Plus iPhone will know the feeling when they see the screen of a Plus iPhone... it's that, just temporarily, each time the screen is on. It'll become normal very soon I'm sure.

The gestures make total sense and are already very natural and very efficient. It feels so 'right' compared to the Home button already. FaceID works fairly naturally; if you combine it with Raise to Wake, you can pick it up and swipe up to unlock very fluidly, with FaceID doing its thing at the same time, with no need to wait. There's a very minor delay (the word 'FaceID' appears on screen while it waits), but it's no slower than TouchID.

The screen is superb (although I'm not convinced about True Tone, it's a bit yellow indoors for my liking), although it feels like a missed opportunity to not use the 8+ layout and screen optimisations. Everything else is every bit as good as the best of Apple iPhone screens.

Overall, I still don't think it fully justifies it's price tag, but it is bloody superb. The thing that made me go for it, was reading an article suggesting Apple didn't intend on releasing this until 2018, but managed to get it out early, meaning next years version of it will be a very minor refresh. It means I can see myself keeping it for longer and skipping a version.

Rob,

Word perfect exactly the same here too. Restoring as I type. Had one last week in the basket and decided not too, then giffgaff had stock and when I was on the web page they were out of stock but after a few clicks to refresh they had stock so I hit the buy button. 

It feels fantastic in hand and as you say with the swipe gestures they are feeling natural even this soon.

The Face ID has worked perfect too so far indoors.

Another 256gb Space Grey here too.

I now have my month old iPhone 8 Space Grey 256gb to sell on to fund the X

Carl

Edited by neuty

RobM    195

I’m glad I’m not alone then! 😊

Im enjoying it and the subtle differences I’m finding, the more I use it. No regrets so far. 

Rvn    103

What about where the screen is missing at the top? Does that not interfere with using the device?

neuty    24

Not even noticed it really, it doesn’t get in the way at all.

Now looking for a case as close to the official Apple silicone one I have but slimmer.

carl