normal

The What's Going on at Apple Thread

Dave    70
21 minutes ago, normal said:

I'm actually wondering if the reason why there's still availability of the 8/8 Plus is because of a surprisingly large demand for the X.

Some sites are saying the same.

As Apple likely predicted, it appears a large number of prospective iPhone buyers are waiting until the iPhone X goes up for preorder in late October rather than purchasing the more readily available iPhone 8, which launches Friday. Noted Apple watcher and industry analyst firm KGI Securities put out a report today, detailed by 9to5Mac, explaining how the existence of the iPhone X may be cutting into iPhone 8 preorders, which went live last weekend and still show a reasonable availability window of one to two weeks for online orders.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/18/16329756/apple-iphone-x-8-availability-preorders-consumer-demand

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-8-iphone-x-pre-order-rush-news/

Rvn    101

I can understand why people would wait for the X. It's the first significantly visually different iphone since the 6 I think.

normal    340

Funny thing is, if they'd just put a touch-id button in the screen or on the back, then I would have bought an X even at that price.

normal    340

OK. I've downloaded iOS 11, having not paid any attention to the betas. It's ugly. We've gone from a feeling of lightness, to childish cartoon fonts and animations. Apple always seemed to be aesthetically ahead of me, and it felt modern as soon as they changed their designs. This time it looks like a major step back... WTF?

Also irritated by the necessity to 3D touch stuff in the new control panel to find what I'm looking for, such as hotspot or airdrop. Sure it's customisable, but it's not really is it? I'd like some features immediately accessible, not buried.

And the new notifications thing seems stupid. Why am I seeing my lock screen when I pull down from the top (when the phone is unlocked)

Grrr.

kradcliffe    150

In this case it's probably the fact that 50% of people in Aberdeen have lost their jobs due to the oil price crash.

Or they are all hanging on for the iPhone X :)

Stuclark    68
On 9/20/2017 at 7:44 PM, normal said:

Funny thing is, if they'd just put a touch-id button in the screen or on the back, then I would have bought an X even at that price.

Samsung couldn't make it work for the S8, and as the X essentially uses the same screen (certainly same tech) it's not surprising that Apple couldn't make it work either.

I fully expect the embedded fingerprint / button tech to be in the S9 and iPhone XI (or iPhone X.1 or whatever they call it).

BTW, the S8 is a very very nice piece of kit; even Touchwiz is not too annoying these days

hal    118

If FaceID works as it should, I doubt very much anyone is going to be bothered about TouchID or fingerprint recognition in future models. Apple won’t take a step back. 

Rvn    101

If it's the software and not the hardware that's limiting the effectiveness of face recognition, I expect Apple will solve that problem before too long.

hal    118
6 minutes ago, Rvn said:

If it's the software and not the hardware that's limiting the effectiveness of face recognition, I expect Apple will solve that problem before too long.

As far as I can see (unless I missed something earlier in the thread), there’s no suggestion that FaceID doesn’t work perfectly well. The Samsung equivalent was pretty hit and miss, but Apple tends not to adopt these technologies until it can deploy them effectively - seldom first, but usually better at implementation. TouchID when it first came out was better than competitor fingerprint recognition. 

I would be genuinely surprised if FaceID doesn’t work as well as or better than TouchID - otherwise I can’t believe Apple would have replaced it. 

The problem at the Federighi demo wasn’t a failure but how the system was designed to work. Just very unfortunate from a marketing perspective! I suspect that once people have it that this will fall away. My bigger issue is that it can only store one face - my wife and I use TouchID on each other’s phones. Will be more annoying to have to use PIN codes also. 

Rvn    101

I'm perfectly happy with fingerprint recognition and would prefer to keep using it.

hal    118
22 minutes ago, Rvn said:

I'm perfectly happy with fingerprint recognition and would prefer to keep using it.

I suspect you will be able to for the majority of the phones on the market, including Apple handsets, for at least another 12-18 months. 

kradcliffe    150

I was in CPW yesterday having another look at the Note 8 and the fingerprint scanner is totally unusable where it is. Samsung rep said, oh... don't worry you can use the facial recognition which he had set up. Only issue is that it worked only one time in five and you actually have to hold the phone up to look at it. 

On my Note 4 it's unlocked as it comes out of my pocket. Why change something that just bloody works? 

One of my DJ mates also works at CPW and he says the best selling handset at the mo is the S7 Edge. Feedback is that a lot of loyal Samsung users don't like the scanner having been moved to the back. 

Edited by kradcliffe

Ajax    13

I was in CPW yesterday having another look at the Note 8 and the fingerprint scanner is totally unusable where it is. Samsung rep said, oh... don't worry you can use the facial recognition which he had set up. Only issue is that it worked only one time in five and you actually have to hold the phone up to look at it. 

On my Note 4 it's unlocked as it comes out of my pocket. Why change something that just bloody works? 

One of my DJ mates also works at CPW and he says the best selling handset at the mo is the S7 Edge. Feedback is that a lot of loyal Samsung users don't like the scanner having been moved to the back. 

To be fair the iPhone X isn’t out so no real world tests have been done.
I’m opting for an iPhone X. No one is forcing anyone to buy the iPhone X. Its and iPhone 8 with a handful of upgrades. If you buy the 8 you won’t miss out anything in the slightest.
If your of the ilk that you want something more, premium, different, etc then Apple will sell you the iPhone X. How different is it to Nokia and the 8800/8900 series back in the day?

I have no issue with choice. If Apple hobbled the iPhone 8 that would be wrong. They haven’t.

I remain skeptical of FaceID but I’ll give Apple the doubt. They’ve shoved a mini Kinect in there rather than using a camera. Let’s see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeKeV    95
On 22/09/2017 at 8:18 PM, hal said:

If FaceID works as it should, I doubt very much anyone is going to be bothered about TouchID or fingerprint recognition in future models. Apple won’t take a step back. 

If the implementation is actually reliable, that is impressive and a step forward from a technical standpoint, but the's definitely a shoe horned in, tech for tech's sake element to it.

In use it could work 110% perfectly 120% of the time, and still be a step back from fingerprint in many real world use cases.

Rvn    101
If the implementation is actually reliable, that is impressive and a step forward from a technical standpoint, but the's definitely a shoe horned in, tech for tech's sake element to it. In use it could work 110% perfectly 120% of the time, and still be a step back from fingerprint in many real world use cases. 

Yeah it seemed like a gimmick for the sake of differentiation to me. Facetime and ecosystem is doing a good enough job of that already IMO, but they bring nothing new to the table.

What advantage does an Apple watch with cellular have over one without? The ability to use it remotely from the phone for cellular activity? Also any rumblings about networks other than EE being compatible in the near future?

RobM    194
3 hours ago, Rvn said:

What advantage does an Apple watch with cellular have over one without? The ability to use it remotely from the phone for cellular activity? Also any rumblings about networks other than EE being compatible in the near future?

I didn't realise until today that the cellular version has a ceramic back and more RAM, in addition to the LTE connectivity. They're reason enough to buy the LTE version, IMO.

Stuclark    68

I quite agree that the fingerprint sensor placement on the S8 / Note 8 handsets is bloody awful. It's clearly an afterthought (when they realised it wouldn't work "in the screen"; and equally as they avoided placing it centrally on the back (a-la LG handsets) it is simply a PITA to use. And of course, the iris / face recognition is pretty awful. My iris recognition never gets used as it's quicker to grope for the fingerprint sensor (even if I have to turn the phone around) than to get the exact correct angle for the iris detection to work.

neuty    21
6 hours ago, Stuclark said:

I quite agree that the fingerprint sensor placement on the S8 / Note 8 handsets is bloody awful. It's clearly an afterthought (when they realised it wouldn't work "in the screen"; and equally as they avoided placing it centrally on the back (a-la LG handsets) it is simply a PITA to use. And of course, the iris / face recognition is pretty awful. My iris recognition never gets used as it's quicker to grope for the fingerprint sensor (even if I have to turn the phone around) than to get the exact correct angle for the iris detection to work.

Biggest mistake Samsung made with the finger print scanner in its position at the back. On the back is not a huge deal but where they put it was a massive pain. I sold my S8 for that reason and i did not like the edge screen. What a stupid gimmick as it has no function other than looking cool. I went back to an iPhone and now got mt iPhone 8 today.

Sorry my little gripe about the S8

normal    340

Got my 8 plus today.

Am I wrong for getting 'excited' by the dot globe pairing thing? It's so sexy....🙄

Rvn    101

How annoying that the LTE Series 3 watch is only available on EE over here. Apparently no other UK network can support parallel sims, yet.

normal    340
10 hours ago, Rvn said:

How annoying that the LTE Series 3 watch is only available on EE over here. Apparently no other UK network can support parallel sims, yet.

And you can't roam with it either....

One thing which does puzzle me is if it's even legal in the EU. I should be able to buy it in one EU country and use it in another. Putting aside the problem with roaming, I should be able to go to Germany, buy one, and then use it in the UK.