normal

The What's Going on at Apple Thread

Dave    70

That wireless charging base is a bit meh, I knocked my S7 off it’s charging base twice and ended up with a flat phone at 2 inconvenient times and secondly, I have a Milanese Loop strap on my watch, so how do I nonchalantly dump my watch on that charging base?

Wireless charging where it needs accurate placing is a fad, one day when a whole desk could be active and it doesn’t require perfect placement it might excite me...

Milhouse    355
11 minutes ago, Dave said:

Wireless charging where it needs accurate placing is a fad, one day when a whole desk could be active and it doesn’t require perfect placement it might excite me...

Fad or faff? :)

I agree accurate placement is a PITA which can render wireless charging little better than cable-based charging, which is why I have a Panasonic QE-TM101 where accurate placement is not required - just drop it and forget it.

I'd love to see "whole desk" charging but that will require dozens if not hundreds of individual transmitter coils, so unlikely to happen (although multiple coils could be useful for charging a laptop, perhaps). Most likely solution would be specific charge "zones" built in to furniture.

At least now that the wireless charging "format war" is effectively over we might begin to see a little more innovation in that direction.

Jimbo    19

After seeing the leaks, I was thinking of jumping back to Apple for the X, but after seeing the compromises they have made to make iOS work without a home button... nah.

The beauty and power of the original iPhone was it's simplicity. No hidden gestures needed to get around and do stuff. You could give an iPhone to your tech-illiterate gran and she'd love it. Now it's all over the place - iOS (on the X) has totally lost it's way.

Can see Apple Pay on the X will not be the seemless experience that everyone knows and loves either.

Think I'll stick with Android until they get Touch ID built into the screen.

kradcliffe    152

So what's everyone's thoughts on the "X" then?

The looks are good, wireless charging is a plus (although late to the party), the face recognition is gimmicky (and results in the loss of the home button) and I'll leave the animated emoji stuff for the nine year olds to discuss.

Taking off my "I hate Apple with a passion" hat and trying to be objective there's nothing too appealing apart from the looks, and they don't justify the price.

The S8 is a better specced handset for far less money.

Rvn    103

Overpriced meh. My 6S might not be as pretty and doesn't have wireless charging out of the box. But I agree with other posters that previous iPhones with the home button work very well. Personally I'll either stick with my 6S or switch back to Android.

Milhouse    355

I find this design particularly daft:

VEhFmM6.png

It puts limitations on what can appear in those areas (ie. not very much) and looks crap/annoying in full screen/landscape apps.

However you know what the next "magical" "innovation" will be, just as soon as Apple have "invented" the technology. Or bought the little-known company.

mcgrad    74

One thing i have not seen reported, is whether or not Apple have dropped 3D Touch for the X?

3D Touch is perhaps the best feature on my 7+ and i would really miss using 3D Touch for accurate cursor positioning when typing. It's the thing i miss the most when i use an iPad or Android  phone.

Milhouse    355
5 minutes ago, mcgrad said:

One thing i have not seen reported, is whether or not Apple have dropped 3D Touch for the X?

3D Touch is perhaps the best feature on my 7+ and i would really miss using 3D Touch for accurate cursor positioning when typing. It's the thing i miss the most when i use an iPad or Android  phone.

Looks like it's still supported in X: https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/user-interaction/3d-touch/

Jimbo    19
18 hours ago, Milhouse said:

I find this design particularly daft:

VEhFmM6.png

It puts limitations on what can appear in those areas (ie. not very much) and looks crap/annoying in full screen/landscape apps.

However you know what the next "magical" "innovation" will be, just as soon as Apple have "invented" the technology. Or bought the little-known company.

Essential Phone does it better...

ep.JPG.32e580fda14d4f6362e604788d6ede59.JPG

... but I would happily drop the selfie cam altogether.

Milhouse    355

DJi5bJiVoAArZYo.jpg

(Ok you don't need Face ID to make emergency calls, but I wonder how well it copes when the owner has a black eye, or a bit too much makeup etc. There's always the backup code, I suppose.)

normal    344

I'm more concerned about how can you slighly unlock the phone when watching some rubbish on the telly with the family. 😃

normal    344

It was stuff like this which put me off. If you're going to blow a grand on a phone, you don't want to fee you've compromised ....

(still time for me to change my mind.....)

RobM    195

It just shows what the iPhone market really is. The majority of launch-day customers (e.g. not your average Joe who buys something on contract, but those who buy the specific phone they care for) just want 'the best iPhone', whatever it may be.

I've been in that camp before, I haven't fully left it, but the iPhone X's price tag is a step too far. It's also going to come with teething problems, so spending more than I'm comfortable with for something that I can't help but will feel unfinished, doesn't appeal. I was going to go for the 8 instead, but since wireless charging (which I really want!) is the only tangible benefit over my 7, it's hard to justify.

Dave    70
2 hours ago, RobM said:

I've been in that camp before, I haven't fully left it, but the iPhone X's price tag is a step too far. It's also going to come with teething problems, so spending more than I'm comfortable with for something that I can't help but will feel unfinished, doesn't appeal. I was going to go for the 8 instead, but since wireless charging (which I really want!) is the only tangible benefit over my 7, it's hard to justify.

As I’m not at all bothered by wireless charging, (I tried it with my S7, it’s just a bit meh, saving maybe 3 seconds) I’ve decided my 7+ will live on until next year...

normal    344
3 hours ago, RobM said:

It just shows what the iPhone market really is. The majority of launch-day customers (e.g. not your average Joe who buys something on contract, but those who buy the specific phone they care for) just want 'the best iPhone', whatever it may be.

Nicely sums up my fears of the iPhone X 

normal    344
47 minutes ago, Rvn said:

Is it possible to preorder the 8 Plus using the upgrade programme?

I did.

Rvn    103

I can't find any reason to upgrade, kind of like Rob elaborated on earlier. IOS 11 brings a much better control centre and icons, fonts etc are better. For the increased prices, the IP rating of the new iPhones is a cop out though, relatively.

normal    344

In many ways I agree. The main reason I'm upgrading is that it's 'free' on the upgrade programme, so I may as well. I just don't think the X is worth being a beta tester and I want a better camera than the 8, which leads me to the 8 plus. But then it's size may leave me unhappy....

Part of me is considering to the S8 or Mate 10, but all the family is so embedded into the Apple ecosystem that the 'cost' of moving is too high for now.

normal    344

You can't pre-order the X until 27th October.

I'm actually wondering if the reason why there's still availability of the 8/8 Plus is because of a surprisingly large demand for the X.

Dave    70
2 hours ago, kradcliffe said:

So has anyone pre-ordered the X yet?

From reading Twitter and various blogs it doesn't seem to be too popular at the moment.

Weird you’ve been reading twitter and blogs and didn’t notice the preorder only opens on 27/10...