normal

The What's Going on at Apple Thread

kradcliffe    152

You never know. This time Apple may pull something completely new and exciting out of the bag (but I'm not holding my breath). 

They seem to want to play it completely safe these days to keep investors quiet. Sad.

normal    346

So. To sum it up, lets play Apple Keynote Bingo! 

Here are my choices...

1. Lots of exciting things
  2. Change the way we interact with technology
  3. Siri even better
  4. HomePod
  5. Apple TV - 4K
  6. Exciting exclusive TV programmes
  7. Apple Watch
  8. AirPods
  9. ARKit
  10. Update to iOS 11
  11. iPhone 7s etc
  12. iPhone X
  13. 10 years
  14. Revolutionary

kradcliffe    152

What time is the announcement?

I have about as much interest in an Apple Keynote as I do in watching Scotland play football. Life ain't fun any more.

Nick    11

Great news, so as of now my 7 is obsolete hahahahahahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kradcliffe    152

So, what's the latest then?

I've been out cutting the grass and harvesting the rhubarb before this almighty storm later tonight :)

Dave    70
53 minutes ago, Nick said:

Great news, so as of now my 7 is obsolete hahahahahahaha!

Can’t that be said every year?

I doubt your phone will suddenly be any worse tomorrow  ;).

Dave    70
11 minutes ago, kradcliffe said:

Current one is £600 so that's a fair hike.

Smallest Model is now 64GB, no more 32GB. But I was expecting another price rise, I thought 10% so not far off. It may well be 649, who knows by some miracle maybe they’ll keep the price at 600 (as unlikely as that is).

Nick    11

True, it's only the 6 and 6s that they'll deliberately / secretly cripple in iOS to force people to upgrade!

Dave    70
Just now, Nick said:

True, it's only the 6 and 6s that they'll deliberately / secretly cripple in iOS to force people to upgrade!

The 6 is still perfectly usable on iOS 11, I’ve been running the beta on my old 6.

Dave    70

Slightly confusing that it’s the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 10 though (the X has been described as the 10 all the way through the presentation).

normal    346

A quick summary of everything:

A tearful dedication to Steve Jobs by Tim Cook

Lots of stuff about Apple Park

Talk about retail: Apple Store. The staff that make it wonderful. Stores are open to everyone and are meeting points etc. You know that Apple has a gender imbalance when they spend ages on their retail stores just to fit Angela Ahrendts in.

Apple Watch: No1 Watch in the world. A video that says apple watches saves lives. Nice improvements to OS. New features including better monitoring of heart rate. New OS on September 19th. Watch 3 has built in mobile connection. Nice looking new sport loop straps. Faster and better wifi connection. $329 without cellular. $399 with (EE only in UK). Pre-order 15th September. Launch 22nd September

Apple TV: 4K. HDR. Blah blah! All existing purchases upgraded to 4K free. Apple TV app launching in UK before end of the year. $179 . Same dates

iPhone: iPhone 8 (not 7s). Glass backs. Space Grey, Silver. New Gold. True Tone display. Improved speakers. A11 Bionic processor. Much faster than A10. Improved photo processing. Improved camera sensor. Clever new portrait mode in 8 Plus. Pretty lame demo example of AR. Wireless charging. (Qi standard - compatible). Same dates. iOS 11 19th September.

One more thing....

iPhone X - set the path for the next decade.. (biggest leap forward etc) . Two colours! Super Retina Display 5.8" 458 ppi. HDR, Truetone. Swipe up to open, multitask etc (looks poor in demo). Face ID - unlock with face. Lots of sensors working at once to unlock done with neural engine (hardware built in AI processing). Foolproof and privacy protected etc. Animoji - very cute animated emojis for messenger which copies the face movements. Face ID failed in demo! Improved camera (although not clear if better than 8 Plus) Portrait mode for selfies too. Improved battery performance ( vs iPhone 7 - not 7 Plus). 

Bigger/Faster Wireless charger (AirPower) - can charge all your wireless Apple stuff at same time. Launches next year. 64GB / 256GB. $999 for 64GB and Preorder October 27th for November 3rd Launch. 

Wrap up back to Steve Jobs...

Milhouse    355
4 minutes ago, kradcliffe said:

Cheers for that. Shocked that it's Qi charging and not some expensive proprietary Apple charging pad.

Totally the same. Welcome to 2011, iSheeple!

"No. 1 watch in the world" yeah, but we know why that is...

Dave    70

Those Brexit £’s are as thought, it looks like direct $=£ in the pricing from what I’ve read.

iPhone 8
64GB - £699
256GB £849

iPhone 8 Plus
64GB - £799
256GB £949

iPhone X
64GB - £999
256GB £1149

normal    346

A few follow on thoughts now some more information has come out, and we've had time to think about stuff...

Apple Watch 3: First. WTF with the red dot on the crown? Is it on all new Watch's or just LTE ones. Are people willing to spend an extra £70 on the LTE version? How will people be charged? I presume you have to have a contract with EE already. Would all tariffs be eligible? What if you're on a virtual network running off EE? How would this work if you have an Android handset? Whilst the performance improvements are always welcome, is it worth upgrading for? As the LTE version has the same battery performance as the Watch 2, does the 3 (non-LTE) have better battery performance?

iTunes: Both Windows and Mac versions receive an update which reorganises much of how it's organised, but it also removes two features: App store and Ringtones. So what happens to old apps which aren't available to download anymore, but are kept on your computer to now? I back up all the family's iStuff to my desktop, what happens to the backups? Are apps no longer stored in offline backups? It's fine that purchased ringtones can be downloaded via iTunes store app on your device, but what if you created the ringtone yourself? Can't they just make iTunes work without spinning out of control and becoming a resource hog and eventually crashing?

Apple TV app: Sounds great. You can search for the programme you want rather than going through all your different apps, but what are the restrictions? For example, if you've got a UK Apple Account, can you access all this stuff when you're abroad? There's already lots of problems about Netflix when travelling, then there's BBC iPlayer.... no mention if that's compatible.

iPhone range: So, there's now:

iPhone SE 32GB and 128GB; iPhone 6s 32GB and 128GB; iPhone 6s Plus 32 GB and 128GB; iPhone 7 32 GB and 128GB; iPhone 7 Plus 32 GB and 128GB; iPhone 8 64GB and 256GB (no 128GB) ; iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and 256GB (no 128GB); iPhone X 64GB and 256GB

WTF? How has this been allowed to happen? Pull the 6s and 6s Plus for a start....

Waterproof / Dustproof - No improvement with the new phones over the old ones. C'mon! Proper IP68 waterproofing isn't too much to ask when you're asked to cough up a grand.

Speaking of coughing up a grand.....

So I get that you get lots of new tech in the iPhone X, and a pretty new screen, but is it really worth £300 more? What really takes the pee is that while all the new iPhones can quick charge, you'd have to buy a separate new charger plus cable in order to take advantage of it, even for the X! £70 extra? Eff off.

While I'm on the subject of charging... I applaud the use of a common standard, I'm confused. The AirPower charger can charge a new iPhone and Apple Watch 3. Does that mean that Watch 3 also uses Qi charging? If it does, does that mean it's not compatible with all the older charging docks, or are older Watch's Qi compatible?

Whilst I'm annoyed about prices...

Applecare+. They've shoved up the prices for the 8 Plus and made them even higher for the X. (I notice they don't drop the prices for the older phones..)

iPad Pro. They've shoved the prices for the 256Gb and 512GB versions. That's pretty hard to stomach given they're the same devices.

And then there's my confused thoughts about the new iPhones (sigh)

OK. I own an iPhone 7, but always wanted the Plus because of it's better camera and battery life. The X seems like a no brainer, but I'm struggling. First, obviously there's the price, and the other bits I mentioned, but also one bit really annoys me about the new screen. Photos and films will always have a bit missing. If I've blown a grand on a phone, well, I don't want to compromise and think that's alright, I can live with it. My sense of entitlement kicks in.

Let's presume Face ID works (although there have been mixed reviews from hands on and of course the keynote itself), other things bother me. I often make a sleepy grab for the phone in the mornings to turn off the alarm make a call etc. How will it work with my sleepy face buried in a pillow? People keep saying the new 'homebuttonless swipe thing works' but I'm never keen on swipe a bit to do this, a lot to do that solutions. Maybe I'm wrong and will love it. I don't know.

I love the portrait modes and also the Animoji's on the X, but the price and the problems with the screen annoy me. And that's before I think about buying a wireless charger....

One more thing....

The name of the iPhone X. Why call it the 'Ten'? That's pretty much scuppered all future naming hasn't it?

Enough for now... (breath)

kradcliffe    152

Apparently the LTE watch doesn't roam either. Seems kinds pointless.

I do like the look of the iphone X but the prices as usual are way over the top. Apart from the 3D face scanner thingie it has nothing not available on Android devices for some time now.

DJjDx2AWAAEkYId.jpg

Milhouse    355
4 minutes ago, normal said:

While I'm on the subject of charging... I applaud the use of a common standard, I'm confused. The AirPower charger can charge a new iPhone and Apple Watch 3. Does that mean that Watch 3 also uses Qi charging? If it does, does that mean it's not compatible with all the older charging docks, or are older Watch's Qi compatible?

The older iWatches used Qi charging, but in their infinite wisdom Apple "tweaked" the Qi standard so it only worked with their bases (allowing them to milk additional licence fees from third-parties).

Maybe Apple included support in the new devices to also work with the old "tweaked" charge bases, but chances are the old iWatches will not work on new charge bases.

Standards, eh? This would never have happened in Steves day. Tim Cook is going soft.

I've already started a countdown until the first announcement from Starbucks about their new "Apple Certified wireless charging tables".