normal

The What's Going on at Apple Thread

Majed    51
Some nice early polyphonic ringtones on it. 

Ah, the good old days

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk

mcgrad    74

Ahh the good old days to typing in different key combinations on Nokia handsets to programme in some crappy polyphonic ringtone. Thankfully we soon entered the age of enlightenment where we we could subscribe to premium rate phone numbers to save us that hassle.

normal    345

What's the deal with the Upgrade Programme if I've paid 11 months when the new one launches? Can I pay the extra month now and get the new one at launch?

Rvn    103
So latest Goldman Sachs note claimsiPhone 8 will be priced at $999 for 128GB version and run to over $1000 for 256GB

We'll probably pay £899 for 128GB version in UK.

I'll get one on Apple Upgrade Programme when I hand in my 7 Plus.

Hmm no 64GB model according to that analyst. Isn't that one of their bigger selling capacities on recent iPhones?

normal    345

If you can get away with overcharging for something in demand, and charge a premium, then do so. That's the Apple way...

satsuma    178
What's the deal with the Upgrade Programme if I've paid 11 months when the new one launches? Can I pay the extra month now and get the new one at launch?

Not sure what you mean but after 11 months you can give back old phone and start a new agreement for a new phone.

normal    345

Cool. I thought you had to pay 12 installments before upgrading. I got my phone one month after launch.

satsuma    178

WWDC a week away and lots of rumours that we may actually see some hardware reveals as well as new iterations of iOS, Mac OS X, etc.

High expectations that a Siri speaker and new 10.5" iPad Pro will be revealed and possibly some speed bumped MacBooks.

Still not fully convinced I need an Echo or Google Home so a Siri speaker with its crap AI is probably off the menu.

Having left my iPad on a flight in Zurich (thanks Swiss Air tw@t that forced me to tuck it into seat pocket when holding it would have been fine) I am in need of a new iPad and why not get a Pro?

If the new 10.5" one is revealed, I assume the 9.7" Pro gets EOL'd.

9.7" Pro with LTE and 128GB is £759 so I expect to be paying £800 for my new iPad :o

Adding a keyboard case and the pencil will push the damage to north of £1000.

But I will be ale to do most of my productivity, reading, entertainment on the go.

satsuma    178

Was quite pleased with WWDC announcements.

Minor processor upgrades for the laptops, some funky new iMacs, a high end "intelligent" music speaker and the iPads.

Most interesting thing in iOS 11 is the ability to use Apple Pay for P2P payments.

With the iOS11 enhancements for IPad, the Ipad can really become of a productivity tool - app dock, easy to shift between apps, drag'n'drop, proper filing system.

I've ordered a 256GB iPad 10.5" with cellular - set me back £839

Will have to shell out more for a keyboard case and pencil, so my total expenditure is likely to top £1000.

Arriving next Thu, will update on how I get on.

hal    120
1 hour ago, satsuma said:

Was quite pleased with WWDC announcements.

Minor processor upgrades for the laptops, some funky new iMacs, a high end "intelligent" music speaker and the iPads.

Most interesting thing in iOS 11 is the ability to use Apple Pay for P2P payments.

With the iOS11 enhancements for IPad, the Ipad can really become of a productivity tool - app dock, easy to shift between apps, drag'n'drop, proper filing system.

I've ordered a 256GB iPad 10.5" with cellular - set me back £839

Will have to shell out more for a keyboard case and pencil, so my total expenditure is likely to top £1000.

Arriving next Thu, will update on how I get on.

I have downloaded iOS 11 and the Apple Pay functionality is not there yet. I hope this is just the beta and not a geographic consideration. The android version of payments still hasn't made it over afaik, which I imagine is regulatory or a restriction by the banks. 

Majed    51

I downloaded iOS 11 on both my iPad Pro (9.7") and a spare iPhone.
Found it useless on the iPhone at this stage (lots of promise in the official version of course) but in the iPad, it's so promising.
The fact that I can already do so many things and almost all my apps work on iOS 11 (not like previous beta versions of iOS when many apps would just crash)!

I have found interesting that I can no longer search for videos on YouTube using iOS 11 Beta 1 (on both my iPad or iPhone).
Am I the only one?

Must be a compatibility issues of course.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk

satsuma    178

I forgot to add the VR/AR bit.

It's one for the future but I think Apple have the right idea. The practical use case (for now) for this tech is through screen/lenses we already use (phone/tablet) rather than awkward eye-wear which annoys people, has rubbish battery life, etc.

The SDK should help developers to create some really interesting stuff

normal    345

A nice summary of what to expect on Tuesday. I noticed I can upgrade my phone on the 11th September :) 

I fully expect to get fleeced on the new premium phone and I'm holding off buying a new laptop until next week just in case they do any silent upgrades.

Thankfully I can't see myself upgrading my watch if it's just adding VOIP over LTE and some minor performance improvements. The only thing that annoys me right now is the lack of GPS to track runs at the moment, but don't think I could afford to upgrade just for that! Besides, I've got my MyKronoz watch due soon.....

Dave    70
1 hour ago, normal said:

Thankfully I can't see myself upgrading my watch if it's just adding VOIP over LTE

I think you mean Voice over LTE (VoLTE) ;) 

normal    345
9 hours ago, Dean5098 said:

I was in EE shop yesterday and he told me they just had a new £97 per month tariff to launch with the new iPhone 

Holy mother!

7 hours ago, Dave said:

I think you mean Voice over LTE (VoLTE) ;) 

As I understand it, it's a data connection via your existing phone number and can't make 'phone calls'. Wouldn't that make it VOIP?

Dave    70
Just now, normal said:

Holy mother!

As I understand it, it's a data connection via your existing phone number and can't make 'phone calls'. Wouldn't that make it VOIP?

You’ve just described VoLTE, it’s voice over an LTE data connection. It’s one of the big differences when compared to CS voice calls on 2G/3G. 

normal    345

Part of me hates all the leaks just before a product launch. It takes most of the excitement out of it.

MeKeV    96
6 hours ago, normal said:

Part of me hates all the leaks just before a product launch. It takes most of the excitement out of it.

While running a website for Mobile tech news and gossip!

Dave    70
Just now, MeKeV said:

While running a website for Mobile tech news and gossip!

Like the people who go to McRumors and then complain about all the leaks and rumours being posted :P