normal

The What's Going on at Apple Thread

RobM    195

No real guesses what the focus will be, given the rumours and that blindingly obvious invite wording. I'm intrigued to see what they come up with; I remember rumours and suggestions of future Apple Watch bands offering additional sensors and functionality that would tap into the data port, so I hope it's along these lines and not just different colours of existing bands (which is still welcome, just not worthy of an event). 

kradcliffe    152

The current ipad 128gb price is shocking. They really need to review what they charge for on-board storage.

Even the staff in the Apple store are embarrassed about it!

RobM    195

The current ipad 128gb price is shocking. They really need to review what they charge for on-board storage.

Even the staff in the Apple store are embarrassed about it!

Doens't harm sales though, does it. Business is business.

jonmorris    184

When I was at the airport yesterday, I was near someone from Apple who was working on some documents. Sadly it was all related to new rules on batteries from April, and not any new devices.

Quite surprised he was allowing anyone to see what he was doing though given how much Apple tries to keep everything secret!

Sent from my KIW-L21 using Tapatalk

satsuma    178

Nice piece here evidencing the likelihood of Apple working with Energous on longer distance wireless charging.

This tech could be pretty cool when it comes to market.

RobM    195

It's a very 'Apple-like' thing to do; ignore current tech standards and 're-invent' it yourself. I just hope the use of a partner means this goes on to become a standard everybody can adopt, thereby driving innovation and increasing the choice and quality of products that support it. I'd hate for it to become another proprietary Apple option, just as much as I'd hate it to kick off another standards war as we've already seen with wireless charging.

kradcliffe    152

That's the Apple way. Makes them more money.

Sony did that for god knows how long and look what's happened to them.

satsuma    178

It's a very 'Apple-like' thing to do; ignore current tech standards and 're-invent' it yourself. I just hope the use of a partner means this goes on to become a standard everybody can adopt, thereby driving innovation and increasing the choice and quality of products that support it. I'd hate for it to become another proprietary Apple option, just as much as I'd hate it to kick off another standards war as we've already seen with wireless charging.

I would be surprised if Apple were the only guys looking into this.It would be nice if there was something approaching a universal standard but sometimes complexity around specific components or power management for specific hardware can make it more optimal for Apple to not work with "everyone else's version"

That's the Apple way. Makes them more money.Sony did that for god knows how long and look what's happened to them.

Well one could argue that the Apple way is to not adopt a new technology for the sake of it and wait it until it can deliver something with a better user experience. Wireless charging has been on other phones for ages now but it's still a poor user experience.Apple seems to be abandoning thunderbolt on laptops in favour of USB C.I don't think one can compare Apple to Sony and find them alike using any widely accepted metric TBH.

kradcliffe    152

Another underwhelming keynote today.

Take the ipad air 2 and add a stylus (at even more money), now it's Pro?

And 16gb on any phone without expandable storage is just plainly stupid, irrespective of how "cheap" it is. Will be interesting to see the price point assuming it will be released in the UK.

Oh, and the watch apparently gets a price drop but no new model. That means its not selling.

Get a grip Apple!

Apple event key announcements

iPhone SE: 4 inch screen, 12MP isight camera, A9 64 bit processor, available in 16GB and 64GB. Available for order from March 24, and available from March 31

iPad: A smaller iPad Pro with a 9.7 inch retina display and an A9X processor. The pro display matches screen colour temperature to the surrounding environment. Out on 31 March

iOS 9.3: Night Shift mode to reduce blue light. More personalised News updates

Apple watch: getting a price cut and will start at $299, down from $349

Carekit: a health app that will work alongside ResearchKit to give people control over their health and symptoms, while also improving medical research

RobM    195

Yeah pretty dull really, not sure any of it justified an event like this.

I think Watch sales are relatively heathy given the state of the smart watch market, so I think the price drop is more about extending demand over a longer than usual product lifespan, rather than making up for a lack of it. It's welcome regardless.

Otherwise meh. Roll on WWDC...

Accel    2

Well, I'm kinda bored of my S6 after a year so I was looking at getting an SE, seeing as I just got my bonus & the 64GB one ain't too expensive. So I looked on their site, delivery 2-3 weeks, so I thought "I'm off this weekend I'll see if I can pay then go get it from the local store." expected delivery 6-11th May.....

Now, I'm not really known for my patience at the best of times, I understand that I have to wait sometimes, but, well, I was under the impression the SE wasn't that popular, being a budget one.

Actually quite infuriated by that, a new product, unavailable everywhere. On purpose or an undersight/oversightt?

Edit: Just checked, the 16GB one is in stock, the other one isn't out yet?

ferret1979    9

There are some about, you have to check on Apple's site.

the 64gb has been released, but I think is the most popular model.

i managed to reserve a 16gb model at th Brighton store today, and collected a couple of hours later.

neuty    24

Had my 64gb Space Grey SE a couple of days after launch and it is great having a pocket friendly one hand use phone. I actually went from a 5S from launch to a launch day 6 which I sold one month after and got another 5S. Son wanted a new phone so he had my 5S and I had another 6. I even got a 6S and sold it as it was a waste of money over a 6. As I use a 5C for work I could do things quicker on the 5C as its all one handed.

So the SE was my dream phone, and so I got the wife one and me too.

It is powered by Kryptonite too

neuty    24

Why do people buy 16GB phones these days with no expandable memory?

Cloud storage is the trick. 

One Drive

Icloud

Google Music

Google Photos

etc

etc.

kradcliffe    152

Why do people buy 16GB phones these days with no expandable memory?

There are a lot of people that just want the "look" of an iphone without using it for anything else. You'd be surprised how many just use it for phone/SMS/Email/Facebook etc. but never use it as a media device.

neuty    24

There are a lot of people that just want the "look" of an iphone without using it for anything else. You'd be surprised how many just use it for phone/SMS/Email/Facebook etc. but never use it as a media device.

My wife is one of the above.

Majed    51

My wife is one of the above.

My wife as well. 

kradcliffe    152

And me. My wife has the LG G3 and apart from calls, texts, Whatsapp, Facebook & Google Calendar she uses nothing else.

I put in a 64gb SD card with music on it but she'd rather use her Sansa+ player instead. For photos she uses her Canon compact.

Each to their own I suppose. My 128gb cards are rammed with every digital photo since 1999 and my entire DJ music collection. The inflexibility of iTunes is another reason I stay purely with Android as I can use Robomirror to sync everything seamlessly across devices.

Ajax    13

Inclined to agree. 16GB really isn't enough. Doesn't take long to fill it with after several apps, photos and movies. I know loads of people who struggle with 16GB because they get full of photos and apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobM    195

As already said, it all depends on the use. Recently I had a 16GB 5S with loads and loads of space available, as well as a 64GB 6+ which is probably 75% full most of the time. The 5S was a work phone that had a few key apps on, but otherwise was a communication device, the 6+ is my personal 'does everything' device.

There is clearly a market for 16GB phones, as it's not just Apple that persists in offering the option and no manufacturer that does seems to believe the market is telling them to stop.