normal

The What's Going on at Apple Thread

normal    346

I'm not quite sure why were interested as it'll probably be another year before we might get anything in Europe.

Where's iTunes radio?

satsuma    178

Really good Wired article. :)

I am going to buy Apple Watch anyway but that article is making me really keen to try one out; seems like the taptic engine may be a real differentiator for Apple if it works as well as described

MadDog    464

well. apple have backed up everything I've been saying. A smartwatch should be a notifier, not a device you use apps on........or thats what I got from the article

normal    346

So iOS 8.3 and OSX 10.10.3 are both out. It's a reflection of my lost faith in Apple that I won't download them until next week, to see if there's any major issues I need to avoid.

RobM    195

I've been running both in Beta form throughout and they've served me well.

Oddly though, the final release of iOS 8.3 was a 1.7GB download. It was around 200MB on my iPad Mini.

satsuma    178

I guess we won't see what comes from it for another couple of years.

Dunno. Sometimes you work with a supplier to incorporate something inot an imminent product and then buy the supplier once you've got things working to stop other people getting it.

The rumours about SLR quality photos in the next iphone have been around since about Nov last year.

Would be nice to see a step change in photography from the new iPhones this year. I live in hope  :)

MeKeV    98

Surely a "SLR like images" claim counts for very little in real life? Which SLR? How old is it that we are comparing to? What lens is on it? What kind of lighting/subject/setting?

Do you actually mean film SLR rather than digital? Hell, that would be lovely. 

The camera on my phone already has better image quality than old digital SLR that I owned. So in this sense I can't see "SLR" as any more than click bait.

Now, if it will let me shoot indoor low light sports, then you've got me interested.

satsuma    178

As devices get thinner, it makes more sense to have a non-removable battery.

S6 doesn't have a removable battery, even Huawei's latest flagship doesn't.

I expect it to become the norm in consumer electronics.

Milhouse    355

As devices get thinner, it makes more sense to have a non-removable battery.S6 doesn't have a removable battery, even Huawei's latest flagship doesn't.I expect it to become the norm in consumer electronics.

Sorry, that's rubbish. This is designed in obsolescence of the worst kind, please don't make excuses for Apple.*Every* laptop I've ever owned, and *every* laptop I've known family/friends to own, has suffered from a battery that either no longer charges at all, or from chronically reduced capacity as the cells slowly short out. It's an inevitable consequence of current battery technology/design, and usually happens when the laptop is only 2-3 years old, with the rest of the hardware still entirely viable and usable. Being able to replace the battery easily and cost-effectively is often the difference between continued use of the laptop, and throwing it in the bin/forking out for a new device.I agree non-replaceable batteries are something we've sadly grown accustomed to with mobile phones that have a relatively short lifespan of 2 years or so, devices that are relatively affordable, but it's nuts to apply this same logic to an expensive laptop that should have a working lifespan of several years, batteries excepted.

kradcliffe    153

But Apple don't want it to last. They're hoping after 2 or  3 years you'll just bin it and spend £1000+ on their latest shiny shiny. Bastards. 

hal    120

...erm, we have a 2009 MBA that is still going strong, with no battery issues whatsoever. So that's 6 years by my count, and still crunching. My father's MacBook Pro is now over 3 years old with no problems on the same battery.

It may be overly deferential to design, and raise sustainability questions but I don't think it's part of a big conspiracy by Apple (or any other manufacturer), although no doubt they would be delighted if you bought more of their kit each year.

As to the lifespan comparison with annually replaced phones, the Base prices for a MBA is £750-1000, and it's unlikely you would replace that each year or even two (battery or no). Not that far off the price of an iPhone or S6. If you replaced your phone every year and your laptop as often as every 2 years, overall spend on phones will about the same as or a fair bit more than the cost of the laptop over the same period.

Jimbo    19

Had a play with an Apple watch today instore, and have to say I am not a fan of the form factor or the interface. The all app view seems like a mess, and generally the whole thing feels a little unintuitive.

I can kind of see why they did it this way, but cramming a zoomable field of random icons onto a such a small device just doesn't work for me. By the time you have found what you were looking for, you might as well have got the phone out. The square screen works with some of the straps, other straps make it look a bit ridiculous. Give me a round watch over this any day!

Definitely a v1 product, lots of potential though.

marty2345uk    16

What do people think the chances are that apple will release an "iPhone mini" or somesuch..? I'd love the power of the 6 in the form factor of the 4... Maybe with thinner bezels...

satsuma    178

Persistent rumours of smaller phone with iPhone 5/5C/5S screen size.

Also rumours of new plastic iPhones "6C" coming.

Wait a couple of months or so and prototypes should start leaking our

Rvn    103

Kidnapping and stealing a test ipad and some bloke. Some companies will stop at nothing to get a step up on Apple's new products.