normal

What's going on at Motorola?

normal    345

Tesco and Amazon.fr are already selling the 8GB G for £139 (buy from Amazon for unlocked version), and Amazon.fr is selling the 16GB version for £165. Another month or two and it will be at the target price....

jonmorris    184

I'm pretty sure both Moto X's have fast charge and OIS.

The Play specs don't mention the fast charging, so given it's SD615 I am not entirely sure.

jonmorris    184

I knew I'd read it somewhere. Saying that, engadget could be wrong.

It may be true. I hope it is, although I've had people claiming that because GSM Arena said the Huawei P8 has 5GHz Wi-Fi, then it must. It doesn't. Lots of reviews seem to think it does, presumably as they copy the specs from GSM Arena and can't believe they'd ever get anything wrong.

There is an industry site that has specs in amazing detail, but I can't find the details. That would probably say for definite.

MeKeV    96

Hmmm, I was thinking I'd get the new Moto G when I visit the USA, but I wouldn't bother with the 8gb version. And it seems the 16gb version is via the Moto website only...at least for the moment.

jonmorris    184

Yes, seems that way. I also discovered that the new Moto G only has a single speaker on the front, which is a weird backwards step. It's loud and quite punchy, but stereo was/is a lot better.

If you can pick up the 2nd Gen versions at a good price, they may well be a better buy.

normal    345

Lenovo seem to be struggling with mobile sales making a loss of $292 million and will restructure, costing it a further $600 million as Motorola sales dropped by more than 30%. I wonder if it'll still be the no.3 mobile manufacturer after those results...

mcgrad    74

Just had confirmation that my Moto X Play has shipped, and will be here on the 27th.

Anyone else ordered one?

Rvn    103

Not yet  - I'm waiting to see what Nexus and Apple devices are announced next month. Tempting though.

MeKeV    96

Lol, I've seen a few people mentioning that the snapdragon 615 is pretty pants and the large battery in the X Play might actually be a necessity for medium to heavy users, rather than a USP.

There should probably be a general battery life thread for comparison rather than it all split in to device specific threads, but I'll stick it in with this.

After struggling along for a while with my LG G3 (decent standby, awful screen on times) I've eventually switched over the the Moto X Play with it's big battery and mid range processor.......and my verdict......

Wish I'd switched sooner. Performance is weirdly on par if not better than I got with the LG. But the battery life is at least twice what I was getting before.

I'm actually only on my first cycle, so typically things improve over the short term. But including set up time, transferring files over etc I'm at 28 hours phone on, 7 hours screen on, with 29% battery left!!!! GPS on since the beginning, sim in for about 3 quarters of that, and connected to my pebble for about half.

Pretty good for a 5.5inch screen.

RobM    195

Shame. Makes sense from a corporate perspective, but sad since Motorola as a name still commands a level of respect on the highstreet as well as in tech' circles.

MeKeV    96

I don't think there's been a 'Motorla' branded phone for a few years now anyway, has there? They've all just been Moto recently.

I may be wrong, I'll check some boxes in the morning!