normal

What's going on at Motorola?

jonmorris    184

Google are criticising somebody else's distribution? Wow.

Haha!

Motorola has had distribution problems for some years, so what better company to buy you than one that is even worse at distributing products!

satsuma    178

Haha!Motorola has had distribution problems for some years, so what better company to buy you than one that is even worse at distributing products!

Distribution as in logistics? I don't think so.Distribution as in getting stuff into retail channels, yes very much so but I would call that a 'ranging' issue to use mobile industry speak or more conventionally it's a marketing and sales issue ie no one wants to stock Motorola products.It's not a problem that Motorola can solve over night.Certainly Google could solve it significantly by chucking marketing money at the retail channels but it seems to have significant appetite to do so just yet.Probably quite wise because Moto devices, although certainly not bad, are still far from being great.

normal    345

Motorola handsets may not be headline grabbers, but they're quite good. If the price was right, and they were more available, then they'd certainly sell more. They've pretty much ignored most of the world for a good few years.

jonmorris    184

I was only joking before. I know Google's problem is getting kit from a warehouse and to the customer, while Motorola's problem is getting kit into a warehouse in the first place!

I think Motorola have produced some great devices in their time. The original Milestones/Droids (with keyboards) were great, if a little underpowered, and the DEFY+ was a great rugged, waterproof phone with decent battery life. And of course the RAZR MAXX. Even the Atrix was pretty decent.

Most recent (well, 13 months ago now) was the Razr i. Fantastic performance from a single-core Intel CPU (albeit with hyperthreading that made it appear more like a dual-core device). Great benchmarks, great battery life, very decent screen and light/slim with it. A real shame that it appeared like a one-off and didn't spawn a follow up in 2013.

As for the Moto X. It wasn't top of the range, but offered decent customisation, American-build (good obviously for the patriots) and - hopefully - shows that Motorola might stand a chance in 2014 if it can get some kit out elsewhere, and Google's influence can get the operators interested this time around.

normal    345

Whilst it leaked that Motorola did prototype a smartwatch last year, they also mentioned last night that they are looking to produce a smartwatch that people want to wear and use.

jonmorris    184

And that they're going to release an update to the Moto G and keep producing products like that (high value and specification).

satsuma    178

Is it true that they said Moto a Maker us coming to Europe this year?It would require significant investment.Mind you with Lenovo looking to up their game, I guess the investment might well be put in.

Seeph    5

And that they're going to release an update to the Moto G and keep producing products like that (high value and specification).

4G version would be nice :)

normal    345

Yep. Moto maker in Europe soon and I wouldn't be surprised to see some 4G handsets soon. I'd also expect the Motorola brand to remain for quite a while yet ;)

satsuma    178

If Lenovo can put some financial muscle behind Moto, they could do quite well with lower cost handsets that are well built, have close to vanilla Android and are customisable using Moto Maker.

jonmorris    184

Motorola was advertising for staff for the Moto Maker service a while back, so it has been known for some time that it's coming. How long it will take to set up is another question and Motorola wouldn't give a clear date.

I'm mostly interested in the fact that Lenovo still wants to continue doing things like the Moto G. Given Snapdragon 410 has LTE and 5GHz Wi-Fi, it doesn't make you a genius to work out that there's a pretty decent upgrade right there - and I hope we'll see that in the coming months.

If it's around the same price, that's going to be quite amazing for a 4G enabled device. Probably more so than many other new phones being released this year, for hundreds more and offering far more than a lot of people want or need.

A better camera sensor would be nice too.

Motorola didn't give numbers, but did say that the Moto G was its highest selling phone. Problem is, it didn't say over what period. I don't think it was of all time (that's probably something like the Razr V3) but I'd certainly expect it to be over the last quarter or two. Deservedly so, I might add.

satsuma    178

Moto G has taken Motorola from virtually zero to 6% market share in the UK in the last 3 months.Excellent product. Everyone I know, who has one, loves it.Really do hope that Lenovo build on this once they've completed their takeover.

jonmorris    184

It was probably the phone of 2013, but I doubt many people would have chosen to give it an award over the HTC One, Galaxy S4 etc.

TheSuper    2

What's going on at Motorola?

Well they've kindly decided to give some select 2012 models - Motorola Droid Razr HD, Razr Maxx HD and Razr M - the update to Android 4.4 KitKat which should become available in the next few weeks. Not bad going.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Motorola-Droid-Razr-HD-Maxx-HD-and-Razr-M-should-be-updated-to-Android-4.4-KitKat-in-the-coming-weeks_id55137

RobM    195

One of the good things about Google owning Motorola - and the thing I had hoped to see - was the potential to set good examples; little customisation, apps released on Play away from the OS, regular updates and ongoing support for older models. Maybe we're just now seeing the results of the planning and development from that time, after they've been sold-on.

jonmorris    184

I heard about the Razr i getting 4.4 a month or so ago on Xda-developers and was shocked. I think the updates are rolling out between April and June though.

I've still go my Razr i and it's a cracking little phone. Not perhaps as good as the Moto G, but it does have an 8MP camera and card slot - and also excellent battery life that's on a par with the Moto G.

normal    345

So they'll get 4.4 just as 4.5 is being rolled out? It also does seem that other manufacturers are going down the Play store upgrade path for feature apps. The HTC One has done it a few times now since launch.

jonmorris    184

Yeah, isn't that always the way?

Motorola also updates a lot of stuff via the Play Store (like the camera app, migrate tool, even the bootup animation - as it did last Christmas) but I guess there's only so much that can be done this way. And OS updates aren't one of them.

But maybe Lenovo will see the benefit to its reputation (which in turn will attract custom and loyalty) by doing more updates.

HTC was always a company that had mostly tech savvy customers, who had followed HTC from the days when HTC just made stuff for others. They were very loyal, but let down by the lack of updates and support.. and I am convinced a lot of the problems come down to that.

satsuma    178

I read the original piece this morning.

The only conclusion I can come to is that Samuel Gibbs is a mate of Andrew Morley because it's a bit of a non-story.

Motorola being sold by Google was rumoured before the deal with Lenovo was announced.

You wouldn't expect Google to release market sensitive information before a deal was struck.

Morley is/was the manager of a local op-co, certainly wouldn't have privileged access to top tier talks.

satsuma    178

Motorola's called a press conference for Tue May 13th 

Posted Image

Product will "made to last, and priced for all"

There's been some leaks of a Motorola E tipped to cheaper than the G.

Also speculation thatit's an uprated G with with LTE.

The Moto G is the best budget smartphone bar none.

If the follow up can come in at a similar price then it's sure to be a winner.

jonmorris    184

I'll be there and really do hope there's a follow up to the Moto G with 4G, although if it means the Moto G comes down in price then a lot of people might still be better off buying that instead - as 4G isn't something that a lot of people are that fussed about.

The Moto G doesn't support DC-HSDPA either, but still gets some good data speeds (in excess of 10Mbps).