Simmotino

Last thing you purchased

normal    345
1 hour ago, MeKeV said:

With root Adaway  is the best way. But since I havent bothered with root on my Pixel, I've been using Netguard.

I've had it installed and running pretty much since I got the phone so cant say how it affects battery life at all, but ads are blocked.

How do you use Netguard to block ads?

satsuma    178
They're about a 15 minutes walk from the Gold Souk if you're in the area to get some boy band bling  

Ha. My missus spent 4 hours in one shop negotiating jewellery!

Rvn    103

We've had a recent addition to the family and need to upscale our car from a Golf to a medium sized(due to London parking limitations) baby + luggage moving machine. Must haves include comprehensive parking sensors(ideally camera based) 600L+ load space with the seats up, dual zone climate control and ideally a higher driving position.

Any suggestions other than the X3, Q5 or current XC60? So far the Passat estate, Mondeo (!) hatchback and Peugeot 308SW tick most of the boxes but the I-cockpit fascia-tablet only control system of the latter worries me in the event it fails..

Majed    51
We've had a recent addition to the family and need to upscale our car from a Golf to a medium sized(due to London parking limitations) baby + luggage moving machine. Must haves include comprehensive parking sensors(ideally camera based) 600L+ load space with the seats up, dual zone climate control and ideally a higher driving position.

Any suggestions other than the X3, Q5 or current XC60? So far the Passat estate, Mondeo (!) hatchback and Peugeot 308SW tick most of the boxes but the I-cockpit fascia-tablet only control system of the latter worries me in the event it fails..

I would go for (and I almost did here) the Jaguar F-Pace. Seems to fit your bill nicely.
The Peugeot 3008 is a decent option.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk

Majed    51

I personally sold my Porsche Boxster GTS

bd7efa61d11d9b04e0a8b911f4e9f2fb.jpg

But happily purchased the new Land Rover Discovery (First Edition).

f878ae0fbfec9a7095e0b25b737c381f.jpg
f7eee97f51b4694e74d367368e488122.png

normal    345
2 hours ago, Rvn said:

Congratulations! My parents have a F-Pace and I can recommend it if you can get past how wide it is.

I'd also consider the S-Max as a Mondeo alternative. I loved my old one 

Rvn    103
22 minutes ago, normal said:
Congratulations! My parents have a F-Pace and I can recommend it if you can get past how wide it is.
I'd also consider the S-Max as a Mondeo alternative. I loved my old one 

Thanks! She's keeping us very busy indeed and dictating many changes! I tried parking an XC60 in our space at home and even with front and rear sensors it was a real faff to park. Obsolete tech too which was annoying. So anything bigger, such as an S-Max would be oversized for us.

35 minutes ago, Majed said:

I personally sold my Porsche Boxster GTS

bd7efa61d11d9b04e0a8b911f4e9f2fb.jpg

But happily purchased the new Land Rover Discovery (First Edition).

f878ae0fbfec9a7095e0b25b737c381f.jpg
f7eee97f51b4694e74d367368e488122.png

Lovely motors! I rented an E350 Mercedes saloon last weekend for a wedding. Useless boot under the circumstances, but what a ride! Ridiculous amounts of torque and adaptive dampers made it an impressive driving machine. Much better build quality than other Mercs I've driven over the last five years. No trim fell off! Awesome tech too albeit over complicating the Nav/Media/Tel where the gear stick controls used to be. Nice engine growl too from the V6 even at speed

45 minutes ago, Majed said:

I would go for (and I almost did here) the Jaguar F-Pace. Seems to fit your bill nicely.
The Peugeot 3008 is a decent option.

Thanks Maj they both look great!

Edited by Rvn

Jimbo    19

Have you considered the i3? Congestion charge exempt, and rear access is great for child seats. The CF/plastic bodywork is perfect for city use. Very easy to park and high seating position

See loads of them around SW London. REX version means less worry about finding charging if you only have onstreet parking, but you do lose a little bit of storage space.

ferret1979    9

I think the S-Max shares a similar design to the Galaxy.

My Mum got a brand new Galaxy at the end of Jan, after a 3 month wait.  It's a massive car and very awkward to drive, so awkward in fact she hit the brick pier coming onto the drive for the first time!!!

its become far too impractical.

Rvn    103

Have you considered the i3? Congestion charge exempt, and rear access is great for child seats. The CF/plastic bodywork is perfect for city use. Very easy to park and high seating position

See loads of them around SW London. REX version means less worry about finding charging if you only have onstreet parking, but you do lose a little bit of storage space.

Good idea but it's not really practical for us. It would struggle with our ever increasing luggage capacity requirements.
Its a bit bland, but a safe bet is the Passat if VW play nice and give me a decent lease deal.

On 2017-6-4 at 9:21 AM, Rvn said:

Congrats on the new addition to the family!

MeKeV    96

The thing with some of these bigger cars posted is a lot of the 'biggerness' is wasted nose space. You've got say a Touran which is not actually massively bigger overall to your golf, but is ginormous inside, because the nose is so short and the back is completely flat. I loved the Touran when I had one, as did my Mrs.

Mazda should never have stopped making the Mazda 5 it was an excellent large/medium family moving mobile.

And congrats!

Rvn    103

Thanks for the congrats guys, our little bundle of joy is simply amazing

Kev I know what you are saying about that Touran, but when in the dealers the other day, the seats up load capacity in the Passat was just so much more suitable with strollers, suitcases, travel cots etc etc.

Edit: Kev are they only seven seaters or do Touran's come in just 5 seaters too? I'm sure that the one we saw was the latter and as a result smaller than the passat.

MeKeV    96

My Touran was 5 seater. If you're happy to look at used, the 5 seaters can be had for less than 7 if you can track one down.

Edit: I had the Touran a few years a go, so dont hold me to them STILL making a 5 seat version!

Edit 2: I think I miss read your post. I *think* the boot size difference between 5 and 7 seat version is only in height. So if the boot depth wasnt enough for you, then an estate is the only real option I think!

mcgrad    74

The new style Mondeo has a boot bigger than my first flat, its huge. It would be great for baby stuff.

However, my 66 Plate Mondeo Titanium was off the road for 7 weeks during the first 3 months of ownership. Ford were absolutely awful, and downright incompetent in getting the problem fixed, and i swear i will never have another Ford ever again.

When i ordered, i purchased the optional "Active City Stop" feature that will detect potential collisions under 30mph and apply the breaks if needed. When i first got the vehicle i tried it out on my driveway by trying to crash into my Wheelie Bins. The car didn't even detect the bins and allowed me to crash right into them.

At the same time the boot sensor was faulty and detected the boot was open when closed, so when i took the car into have this fixed at my local Ford dealership (not the supplying Ford dealer as this is a company/lease car ). I asked they check that Active City Stop was working correctly. They responded by saying that the feature had not been ordered, and therefore had not been factory fitted. When speaking with the lease company they claimed the supplying dealer had ordered the feature and they had confirmed it was fitted.

Ford Customer services would not speak to me, as i am not the registered keeper and quoted 'data protection' reasons for not being able to help me. The lease company asked me to take the car to a Trust Ford garage to verify whether or not the part was fitted or just faulty. Trust Ford confirmed the part was fitted but was faulty. Trust Ford are owned by Ford and not a franchise dealership, and therefore their input was needed to verify the status of the car. Unfortunately the closest Trust Ford garage is 70 miles from where i live, so the lease company booked the car into their preferred dealership to have the part replaced.

The preferred Dealership collected the vehicle and after inspection stated that Active City Stop had not been fitted, and could not be retrospectively fitted as it is a factory fit only option, and the car did not have the correct wiring loom to fit at a dealership.

At this point I formally reject the car, but the supplying dealership would not get involved further until the preferred dealership formally put the issue in writing. For some reason, the preferred dealership refused to do so. Ford Customer Services would not talk to me for 'data protection' reasons, and the lease company were painfully slow to do anything further. At which point i was stuck in the middle, with no one was interested in resolving the issue. So i refused to collect the Mondeo from the dealership and left it sitting on their premises and ignore their daily calls asking me to collect the car. The preferred dealership got hacked off and threatened to charge the lease company rent for storing the car. At this point the issue was escalated both within the lease company and Ford's fleet manager.

Eventually a Ford Technical Expert had to come out and independently inspect the car to verify whether Active City Stop was fitted or just faulty. At this point, i had two ford dealerships telling me it had been fitted, and two dealerships telling me it had not been fitted.

It turns out the Active City Stop was fitted but faulty. After 7 weeks off the road, it has been fixed and i now have my Mondeo back. Its crazy to think Ford lack the technical expertise to be able to correctly diagnose whether a safety feature has even been fitted to the car or not?!

During the first 3 months of ownership the car was off the road for 7 weeks and had the boot sensors, front parking sensors and Active City Stop replaced. I hate my Mondeo, never again Ford.

My only positive comment is that Sync 3 infortainment system is great for Apple Car Play and Android Auto. But for the rest of the car, i'm soured with Ford, their awful customer support.  Rant over.....With any luck it will be stolen or written off :) 

Edited by mcgrad

Rvn    103
11 hours ago, mcgrad said:

The new style Mondeo has a boot bigger than my first flat, its huge. It would be great for baby stuff.

However, my 66 Plate Mondeo Titanium was off the road for 7 weeks during the first 3 months of ownership. Ford were absolutely awful, and downright incompetent in getting the problem fixed, and i swear i will never have another Ford ever again.

When i ordered, i purchased the optional "Active City Stop" feature that will detect potential collisions under 30mph and apply the breaks if needed. When i first got the vehicle i tried it out on my driveway by trying to crash into my Wheelie Bins. The car didn't even detect the bins and allowed me to crash right into them.

At the same time the boot sensor was faulty and detected the boot was open when closed, so when i took the car into have this fixed at my local Ford dealership (not the supplying Ford dealer as this is a company/lease car ). I asked they check that Active City Stop was working correctly. They responded by saying that the feature had not been ordered, and therefore had not been factory fitted. When speaking with the lease company they claimed the supplying dealer had ordered the feature and they had confirmed it was fitted.

Ford Customer services would not speak to me, as i am not the registered keeper and quoted 'data protection' reasons for not being able to help me. The lease company asked me to take the car to a Trust Ford garage to verify whether or not the part was fitted or just faulty. Trust Ford confirmed the part was fitted but was faulty. Trust Ford are owned by Ford and not a franchise dealership, and therefore their input was needed to verify the status of the car. Unfortunately the closest Trust Ford garage is 70 miles from where i live, so the lease company booked the car into their preferred dealership to have the part replaced.

The preferred Dealership collected the vehicle and after inspection stated that Active City Stop had not been fitted, and could not be retrospectively fitted as it is a factory fit only option, and the car did not have the correct wiring loom to fit at a dealership.

At this point I formally reject the car, but the supplying dealership would not get involved further until the preferred dealership formally put the issue in writing. For some reason, the preferred dealership refused to do so. Ford Customer Services would not talk to me for 'data protection' reasons, and the lease company were painfully slow to do anything further. At which point i was stuck in the middle, with no one was interested in resolving the issue. So i refused to collect the Mondeo from the dealership and left it sitting on their premises and ignore their daily calls asking me to collect the car. The preferred dealership got hacked off and threatened to charge the lease company rent for storing the car. At this point the issue was escalated both within the lease company and Ford's fleet manager.

Eventually a Ford Technical Expert had to come out and independently inspect the car to verify whether Active City Stop was fitted or just faulty. At this point, i had two ford dealerships telling me it had been fitted, and two dealerships telling me it had not been fitted.

It turns out the Active City Stop was fitted but faulty. After 7 weeks off the road, it has been fixed and i now have my Mondeo back. Its crazy to think Ford lack the technical expertise to be able to correctly diagnose whether a safety feature has even been fitted to the car or not?!

During the first 3 months of ownership the car was off the road for 7 weeks and had the boot sensors, front parking sensors and Active City Stop replaced. I hate my Mondeo, never again Ford.

My only positive comment is that Sync 3 infortainment system is great for Apple Car Play and Android Auto. But for the rest of the car, i'm soured with Ford, their awful customer support.  Rant over.....With any luck it will be stolen or written off  

I liked the Mondeo too, based on hiring it in the US last year for a week. Given the choices available though, ownership might well be a different experience!

Rvn    103

I finally decided on a Passat Estate, which ticks all the boxes and a good deal from VW. Arriving this weekend!

7b1cd5047055bc13e43db9344478c5b8.jpeg

Rvn    103

Ah that's easy, we've had a travel system that fits any car(with or without isofix) since the little one was born.

MadDog    464
23 hours ago, normal said:

I'm being a bit thick. Why would I want one?

so it's not reliant on your phone to carry out the actions when you click the button? Well that's how I assumed it worked!