Simmotino

Last thing you purchased

normal    345
On 07/01/2017 at 3:54 PM, Majed said:

Any feedback@Normal?

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk

So far it's been positive. A couple of things did annoy me unpackaging. First was, although they've taken the usual Apple style, the did it so badly that it was a nightmare to get things out, and secondly, one earphone was charged, the other wasn't, so I had to put both on charge.

Comfort wise, I've only worn them for a couple of hours, but they seem to fit well. The come with two standard ear plugs in different sizes (I think the smaller size were designed for children.... ) and also some comply plugs. I don't feel them pulling out of my ear. I do think their button design and programming could be better, but it's a minor niggle.

Sound wise, they sound clear, although a touch brighter than I'd like. Like I said, I've only listened for a short time, but I didn't get a headache from the sound. If you use them at lowish volumes, then you can get a good mix of music and environmental sound.

Calls. Need to be looked into a bit more. I made a few call whilst walking on busy wet streets. People noticed that my voice wasn't as clear as normal, but also seemed to hear me most of the time. Occasionally, the earphones did pick up conversations of people I was passing, which sounded weird to the other person.

I hope that helps :)

hecatae    9

ZTE Axon Mini,

Just waiting for it to be delivered, bargain for £116.99, 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM, Qualcomm 616 octacore processor, 5.2 inch screen.

MadDog    464

currently looking for a decent budget phone for the missus - has to have a decent camera - everything else doesn't matter it seems

All these bargain phones seem to be lacking in the camera stakes

Jimbo    19

Depends how budget you want to go. Recently bought a Moto Z Play for the Missus direct from Moto for ~£330. Came with a free JBL speaker system, which adds 10 hours battery life to a phone that already has an amazing battery (50 hours+).

Camera is excellent in daylight and pretty reasonable in the evening. Selfie camera is also good, and has a flash.

Even better, the phone is pretty close to stock android.

Stuclark    70
On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, Rvn said:

The Sony Xperia X Compact is worth a look at £300 from Giffgaff.

I still think the best compact Xperia is the Z3 - all the ones since then have been a bit on the tubby side.

Stuclark    70

Been on a bit of a spending spree recently; first got pissed off (finally) with our broken boiler timer, so splurged some cash on a Tado system, including the optional programmer / hot water controller.

Then almost chucked a QNAP box across the room when mine broke for the second time in exactly the same way; so now I have (another) HP Microserver G8 lying around which I'm gradually adding RAM and a Xenon processor to. The idea is it's going to be running Windows 10 / Server 2016, utilising Microsoft's "Storage Spaces" technology to give me the same result as a RAID 5 NAS (otherwise known as an alternative to FreeNAS (which is what my other Microserver G8 runs)) - however, Microsoft being Microsoft still aren't happy for Windows to boot off an SD card or USB stick, even though Linux and the likes of VMWare have been supporting this for years. I may even do an article about the fun I've had getting it working...

Stuclark    70

No, it was a TS-431+, which apparently is even more unstable than the Atom based stuff

MadDog    464
23 hours ago, Stuclark said:

Been on a bit of a spending spree recently; first got pissed off (finally) with our broken boiler timer, so splurged some cash on a Tado system, including the optional programmer / hot water controller.

Then almost chucked a QNAP box across the room when mine broke for the second time in exactly the same way; so now I have (another) HP Microserver G8 lying around which I'm gradually adding RAM and a Xenon processor to. The idea is it's going to be running Windows 10 / Server 2016, utilising Microsoft's "Storage Spaces" technology to give me the same result as a RAID 5 NAS (otherwise known as an alternative to FreeNAS (which is what my other Microserver G8 runs)) - however, Microsoft being Microsoft still aren't happy for Windows to boot off an SD card or USB stick, even though Linux and the likes of VMWare have been supporting this for years. I may even do an article about the fun I've had getting it working...

I run a Microserver too had have for many years now

Think I'm the version before the G8 - wanted to run plex on it but just doesn't have enough grunt! Curious about the Xeon processor upgrade tho

satsuma    178
On 10/02/2017 at 6:59 PM, normal said:

You like understated stuff right? ;) 

Haven't actually worn the trainers yet. Waiting for nicer weather :)

The cabin roll-on is actually John Lewis own-brand and a fraction of the price you would pay for Samsonsite DLX range, Rimowa, etc. :P

On 10/02/2017 at 7:01 PM, normal said:

I picked up one of these in Dubai. 

IMG_9934.JPG

Very very nice :D One of the most highly reviewed/rated Androids around. How much was it in Dubai and which SKU did you get?

Probably going Dubai next month or April - very tempted to pick up a Xiaomi.

How are you finding it? Any chance of mini review?

On 10/02/2017 at 11:16 PM, MeKeV said:

It's for the mid 90's boy band that he's in.

LOLS. I do have always had a weakness of secretly wishing I was in a boy band right from Wham through to One Direction :)

Stuclark    70

Continuing my "home NAS running Windows running my media server" experiment, a £35 quid PCIe graphics card was today's purchase - purely to add a bit of zing and give me an HDMI port (it's no use as my media server if it can't also be a client - otherwise I'd just leave that on the box it is on already)

normal    345
2 hours ago, satsuma said:

Very very nice :D One of the most highly reviewed/rated Androids around. How much was it in Dubai and which SKU did you get?

Probably going Dubai next month or April - very tempted to pick up a Xiaomi.

How are you finding it? Any chance of mini review?

I've not taken it out yet and tested it as I'm still waiting for the case and screen protector to arrive :D

It's running a more recent ROM than's on their Xiaomi's website. (It's Miui 8) It's an international edition. 64GB 5s costs about 1000AED, 128GB about 1200 AED, and the Plus about 1350 AED. It's surprisingly difficult to buy Xiaomi stuff in Dubai. The main phone company Etisalat only sells the Mi5. There's a couple of shops around Baniyas Square (Blazer and Zoomer) which do stock them. Also one new shop due to open there very soon.

First impressions are positive. I'm still playing with it setting it up. It's been a long time since I had an good play with an Android handset. I'll certainly put up a review in due course :)

By the way. I've noticed Email and Calendar apps are rubbish compared to the best iOS ones. And what's the best way to block ads in my browser?

MadDog    464
57 minutes ago, normal said:

By the way. I've noticed Email and Calendar apps are rubbish compared to the best iOS ones. And what's the best way to block ads in my browser?

i think you have to change browser

satsuma    178
1 hour ago, normal said:

I've not taken it out yet and tested it as I'm still waiting for the case and screen protector to arrive :D

It's running a more recent ROM than's on their Xiaomi's website. (It's Miui 8) It's an international edition. 64GB 5s costs about 1000AED, 128GB about 1200 AED, and the Plus about 1350 AED. It's surprisingly difficult to buy Xiaomi stuff in Dubai. The main phone company Etisalat only sells the Mi5. There's a couple of shops around Baniyas Square (Blazer and Zoomer) which do stock them. Also one new shop due to open there very soon.

First impressions are positive. I'm still playing with it setting it up. It's been a long time since I had an good play with an Android handset. I'll certainly put up a review in due course :)

Seems like these shops are 'off the beaten track' and not in the main tourist-type areas.

normal    345

They're about a 15 minutes walk from the Gold Souk if you're in the area to get some boy band bling :D 

MeKeV    96
2 hours ago, normal said:

And what's the best way to block ads in my browser?

With root Adaway  is the best way. But since I havent bothered with root on my Pixel, I've been using Netguard.

I've had it installed and running pretty much since I got the phone so cant say how it affects battery life at all, but ads are blocked.