Jay

The Manchester United Thread

normal    346

Well. Utd sources are now saying they only backed LVG last week as it was before some big games. They really want Guardiola. They look as stupid as the team right now.

Rvn    103

I'm hoping that it's a classic dummy and by publicly backing him, the board appoint a successor very soon. They need to decide whether to go for someone like Ancelotti now or try and wait for Guardiola.

MeKeV    98

To be fair to LVG, I'm not sure there's any guarantee for any manager in the world making the (short term) difference, looking at United's starting 11 yesterday.

Rvn    103

Yes, but one could argue that he's had enough time and money to build some quality and depth to avoid an injury crisis. His team selections don't help either. Where was Young yesterday? Plus there's concerns over his training methods being too intense.

satsuma    178

Do you still believe this?

With a fit squad. Yes. We're decimated with injuries.

Well. Utd sources are now saying they only backed LVG last week as it was before some big games. They really want Guardiola. They look as stupid as the team right now.

I don't think there's any doubt that Utd would like Guardiola but they're not going to elbow LVG just like that unless we finish outside the top 4 or possibly top 3. I think Utd will prob allow LVG to see out a contract and then get GUardiola.

I'm hoping that it's a classic dummy and by publicly backing him, the board appoint a successor very soon. They need to decide whether to go for someone like Ancelotti now or try and wait for Guardiola.

I don't think Ancelotti could come in and suddenly turn things around.TBH, the situation is similar to Chelsea. Given enough time Mourhino will turn Chelsea around. Ditto LVG. The biggest mistake LVG and Woody made this summer was assuming that Fatty could could lead the line and 25 goals.He can't and won't.Secondly, they could have signed a not-quite-top-class player like Ottamendi to provide extra steel at the back but blinked at the price.Could have used him against Wolfsberg and Bournemeouth eh?LVG's philosophy has dictated a slim squad and youngsters.It's back-fired.Bringing in a new manager now won't make any difference - the mistakes were made in recruitment in the summer. Ditto Chelsea.

I think these are just excuses. Pochetino gets praised for intense training

Pochetino just lost at home to The Wally with a Brolly ;-)

satsuma    178

TBH he was given plenty of chances at United.

Also his record at Real wasn't stellar.

I'm glad it's working out for him in Germany but it's hardly a DeBruyne or Matic type situation where you let a young player go, he grows into an awesome player and then you have to buy him back (or your rivals do) at huge premium.

Although Pogba obviously fits that template perhaps Pique to a lesser extent.

satsuma    178

Some details of the argument between RVP and DePay have been picked up by quite a few media outlets:

RVP: "Do you think you're a big boy?"

Memphis: "Do big boys play for Fenerbahce?"

Dunno how true this is, but knowing the Dutch camp, it's plausible.

satsuma    178

That's it AFAIC.

Big fan of LVG and really believed in him.

But this is too much. Even with the injuries etc we should not be losing this many matches.

LVG's post match comments seem to indicate he's not sure he'll keep his job. It's obvious that we should get Mourinho in straight away. So that he has a chance to select Jan transfer targets.

Rvn    103

I wondered how long it would take you to see sense ☺ I just hope the board replace him with a better manager quickly. We've been going nowhere fast for at least the last half dozen matches although I think the warning signs have been there longer.

satsuma    178

I wondered how long it would take you to see sense ☺ I just hope the board replace him with a better manager quickly. We've been going nowhere fast for at least the last half dozen matches although I think the warning signs have been there longer.

No it's not a matter of seeing sense. Abramovich should have had the b@lls to stick with Mourinho but his sacking suddenly makes him available.Mourinho, Guardiola and LVG broadly all have a possession-based strategy. None of them will produce a team that plays like Taggart's teams. And let's not forget there were periods when Taggart's teams were dire to watch too.Mourinho' season with Chelsea has been a disaster and it doesn't make him a bad manager.Wenger has won hardly anything in years and it doesn't make him a bad manager.Pellegrini's finished 1st, 2nd and maybe 1st again but it doesn't make him a bad manager.However, with all the money at stake club-owners get impatient.If Mourinho wasn't available I would not support getting rid of LVG.I'd stick with him for the rest of the season. But seeing that it isn't working for LVG at the moment and someone of Mourinho's stature is available right now (and many of us believe he's coveted the Man Utd job for many a year) - it's a perfect storm and we should get Mourinho in.

Majed    51

I find it funny and interesting that José is still hanging about in England and chilled enough to be attending games just days after getting the sack !

As much as parts of me wants Pep to take the United job, I believe that possession football is not United's style. José is more known for wide play and counter attacking football than both Pep & LVG.

Also the fact that Pep is only possibly available in the summer and how bad things are going for United now, waiting till then would be difficult (and José stating that he's planning on getting right back in the game) are all indications of his imminent (destined) arrival at Old Trafford.

The only other scenario I see that involves Pep taking over would be for Giggs to take temporary charge till end of the season as José's calibre wouldn't allow him to fill a temp position.

That's just my two pence on the matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rvn    103

I couldn't see a way out for Jose at Chelsea if he'd lost to player power. IMO LVG has lost it when it comes to team selection and tactics including substitutions. I think he's lost a significant element of the dressing room too.

satsuma    178

Difficult to comment on dressing room.

Tactics were doing OK until recent slump - best defence in the league.

Only thing missing was attacking bite and goal-scoring.

LVG / Woody gambled that Fatty, Martial, Memphis, Young and Mata would get enough goals.

A few months ago you wouldn't have called that a terrible assumption.

The fact is, the players haven't performed.

And ultimately (as at Chelsea) it's the manager who must take responsibility.

If I had one or two criticisms of LVG's team selection, it's his rather sparing use of Ander Herrera when it's obvious the guy is a midfielder who gets forward, his insistence on persisting with Fatty and the pushing out of Januzaj.

Let's also not forget that Man Utd had some big targets this summer and it's Woodward that has failed to land them. And ADM and Falcao were Woodward purchases not LVG.

Anyway. Whether you're an LVG supporter or detractor, he's dead-man-walking AFAIC.

Pep is leaving Bayern officially now and Ancelotti is officially replacing him. Pep I think Pep will go to City.

United should grab the bull by the horns right now and appoint Mourinho.

The fact is Mourinho won't change United into a powerhouse overnight. No one will. United fans need to get used to not being at the top. The topography of the EPL and Europe has changed.

Pep will make City even stronger, Klopp will improve Liverpool and Chelsea will appoint someone (Simeone, Allegri, Koeman, etc) that will put them back on the map.

So it would be criminal of the United hierarchy not to grab one of the best managers around

satsuma    178

United *might* make an announcement at 14:30 this afternoon in time for NYSE

Sun claiming Mourinho deal is all but done, several other outlets saying as well.

RobM    195

If Utd don't appoint Mourinho now, they'll probably never get the chance again. It's a good short-term fit, IMO. Utd need to get back to winning ways, Mourinho doesn't want to leave England and will feel he has a point to prove. It won't be a long-term pairing though, Mourinho can't do long term.

Rvn    103

Can any manager do long term these days? I'd be surprised if we weren't changing managers every 3 years or so like most other big clubs.

RobM    195

Can any manager do long term these days? I'd be surprised if we weren't changing managers every 3 years or so like most other big clubs.

In England? Sadly no, we're too short-term in our thinking and expectations. We need instant success and won't tolerate anything else while something better is being built.

In other leagues, yes, there is still room for long-term managerial appointments.

Winterman    33

Which leagues? Italy, Spain and Portugal are all known for being trigger happy. Maybe in France, Belgium (apart from Lyon, Monaco and PSG) and Germany (apart from Bayern) but really, there isn't much room for it anywhere near the top end of the game.

RobM    195

France and Germany were the main two I had in mind. Spain isn't quite as bad as the UK; Real are nutters and Barca are a mixed bag over the years, but others balance it out a bit. 

Overall it's a shoddy state of affairs though. At the very top it's very short-term, the next level down has teams who have built over the years and have achieved sustainable success without changing managers every season or two.

Milhouse    355

At the very top it's very short-term, the next level down has teams who have built over the years and have achieved sustainable success without changing managers every season or two.

Sure, but as soon as they hit the big time after winning promotion to the Premier League, they sack the manager that got them there within 6 months.

RobM    195

Sure, but as soon as they hit the big time after winning promotion to the Premier League, they sack the manager that got them there within 6 months.

I actually meant 'next level down' as those clubs just outside of the top 2-6 (depending on the league) rather than the next league down. Sadly it's a fair point you make though.

It's funny in a sad way, as you can often tell which managers are going to do well and which are destined for a life in the Championship. Some managers are just a step away from being good enough for the EPL and never seem to improve.

Luckily this year we have three promoted clubs still with their managers. Long way to go yet though...

satsuma    178

Very sad to see pressed with LVG today.

He obviously feels he's being treated badly by the press.

A number of media outlets and pundits reported that Woodward's meeting with United hierarchy yesterday was to sack LVG.

But it didn't happen.

I think LVG will be given a couple more games.

Times reporting that Herrera and Mata will ask to leave if LVG is still manager after end of season.

No comments from Woodward or United on anything.

Letting speculation and leaks run wild, not managing this at all.

Easy to blame LVG but Woody's been poor at closing transfers.

Many of the senior players have simply not performed.

What a shambles. Does Mourinho want to come to this?

Rvn    103

I think that LVG handled the press conference calmly and with dignity under the circumstances. Typically some media outlets report that he 'stormed out' which is a lie....

I liked the mince pies and wine comment.

I hope his fighting words translate to a performance by the team on the pitch and that LVG shows some of the touch line passion that he did at the World Cup.