satsuma

The decline of HTC

normal    345

It seems they knew what they were doing, and it didn't hurt their bottom line either.

Milhouse    355

Indeed, sensible decision by Samsung, but manufacturers whose only high-end SoC supplier is Qualcomm are screwed for at least their current flagship device (and publicly made to look stupid, by trying to deny the problem).

I wonder if these manufacturers will make that mistake again? This balls-up with the SD810 might have long term consequences for Qualcomm. At least, I hope it does... :)

Ajax    13

Don't think it will. Not many have the capacity to design there own processors and Qualcomm processors still have lots of advantages. I don’t like Qualcomm being in a dominant position but who would topple them?

normal    345

Mediatek, Nvidia and Samsung would be first in line. It seems Broadcom dropped out slightly too early

normal    345

HTC continues to sink with it's latest sales figures. Halved since a poor quarter last year. Their one quarter profit is looking more and more like a blip. They fail to sell in China thanks to competition at the bottom, and they fail to sell in the West due to poor flagships and confusion. Things are not looking good.

Milhouse    355

Maybe if someone tells them it's now called Windows Mobile (again) they'll fondly remember the early noughties and forget about the disaster that is Windows Phone. Or maybe not.

Milhouse    355

Can anyone explain this Alphabet/HTC deal? Alphabet (owner of Google) has just splurged $1.1Bn on HTC whose shares have been suspended on the Taiwan exchange, while Google will "acquire a team of people who develop Pixel smartphones for the US company", yet Google is NOT taking a stake in HTC.

Eh? What is going on.... takeover not takeover? Or maybe Google want to avoid repeating the Motorola fiasco, by not actually buying the company?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41343586

Let's hope it means Google can release keenly priced good quality smartphone and tablet hardware (I still use my Nexus 7 2013), rather than the overpriced Pixel nonsense.

normal    345

As far as I understand, Google gets some staff, use of IP and a manufacturer agreement.

As for prices. I refer to Yazz 😉