satsuma

The decline of HTC

satsuma    178

It's well documented.

But here's an interesting piece of news about them readying a Chinese market orientated operating system.

Probably inspired by the success of Xiaomi.

Plenty of room in that market for a new OS and HTC are well placed to 'have a go' in China.

Look forward to seeing updates on this situation.

satsuma    178

Well my guess is...

(1) they won't be able to control strategic direction of Firefox and Jolla is just too obscure. Building ecosystem around either is a lot of hard work and expensive

(2) it's easier to fork (fvck) Android ;-) Consumers more attracted to new s/w where you can sideload unlimited numbers of Android apps.

(3) hardware development is easier and cheaper too if you are using Android

I know people don't want to hear it but using Android really is the cheapest and most effective route to market share.

China is awash with no name cheapo Android phones - most of which use no Google Mobile Services (GMS).

The is a whole ecosystem in China around Android minus GMS.

Easiest way to tap to Chinese market is to tap into that ecosystem and differentiate on things like industrial design, hardware, software value add or services.

Xiaomi has done just that by producing expensive-looking mid range phones and putting some cutesy s/w add-ons to the Android UI that appeal to Chinese users.

Perhaps HTC have observed this and thought 'we could do that and make some decent margins and very decent volumes'?

Milhouse    355

Looks like the gloves are coming off at HTC and it's getting nasty.

I wonder if there is any foundation to the fraud and theft claims, or if it's just HTC fitting up disgruntled ex-workers in an effort to stall them setting up their own design business.

Losing all the top product design staff has the potential to set HTC back a bit.

Edited by Milhouse
EditL Correct link

RobM    195

Losing all the top product design staff has the potential to set HTC back a bit.

I can't imagine how it wouldn't... even if HTC still have a great team left behind, it's still going to disrupt things and take time to re-organise.

It's a shame, the whole HTC story is. They've made some superb products and seem to give a damn about design, they just don't promote themselves well. Success is based on marketing these days and that's their weakness.

normal    346

Booger. I really want to see HTC to build upon what they've achieved recently and yet there's a danger of them imploding. Neither the Cheif Exec, not the Chairwoman are loved, and it'd be a real shame for civil war to bring down a promising future.

Milhouse    355

HTC are now a bigger train wreck than Nokia. In-fighting, back stabbing and staff fleeing the company like rats leaving the sinking ship. HTC had the strategy (right OS with Android, nice high-end ID with the One) to achieve high volumes and decent ASPs but seem to have botched the execution at every opportunity.

Maybe they should just go back to being an ODM.

kradcliffe    153

It's a shame. If I didn't have the superb Note 2 I might have got the One but it's just that HTC don't have the solidity Samsung do

normal    346

It's a shame. If I didn't have the superb Note 2 I might have got the One but it's just that HTC don't have the solidity Samsung do

I'd disagree. I went from a Note 2 to a One and found it step up.

satsuma    178

I'd disagree. I went from a Note 2 to a One and found it step up.

Genuinely interested to know in what way?Also will you likely ditch your One for Note 3?

normal    346

I found build quality, the screen, sound, speed etc better on the One. The only things which were better on the Note 2 were the battery life and expandable memory. I don't think I'll be buying the Note 3 unless Samsung change their materials, or I find a bargain again. I'm looking at the One Max and Z1 as my most likely ones, but possibly the LG G2 too.

RobM    195

I too thought the One was an improvement over the Note 2. As excellent as the Note 2 is, it's huge screen is wasted and the build quality was, well, Samsung.

The massive screen simply showed larger, more spaced-out versions of everything. It wasn't until I rooted it and changed the LCD Density value that it made sense and allowed me to use the entire real estate.

The One feels - physically and in use - a more refined and quality product. It's resolution was better and made the screen sharper, it felt smoother and as much as I dislike Sense, it did add some benefits to Android in a slick and well considered way, as opposed to Touchwiz that feels like a toddler designer it.

satsuma    178

Interesting comments guys.

Seems the Note 3 is pretty much going to be same industrial design as other Galaxy products - plasticky.

It's also going to be extremely expensive.

Was thinking of pairing it with a Galaxy Gear but the leaked images and battery life issues have out me off.

Just don't know what'll happen with HTC so it puts me off investing in the device.

Honami seems to possibly the best value for money superphone about to launch over the next few weeks.

Or possibly just get a discount on an S4 as it's bound to some price erosion next quarter.

RobM    195

The new Sony's might be worth a look too. If they have resolved some of the screen 'issues' from the Z (mainly viewing angles) they could have something excellent to offer.

RobM    195

I wonder if the Microsoft/Nokia news may be a good thing for HTC. They could do well by investing more time in Windows Phone to differentiate themselves from others in the market.

Jay    14

Maybe that will do HTC some good, was the HTC 8S a success? The only reason I ask is because that was a Windows based phone right? 

I am surprised HTC are declining, I loved the Desire HD when it came out and the One had a great build quality.

Jay

normal    346

Beats have just bought back the remaining 25% share HTC had in it. Doesn't look like the partnership really benefitted either side.

Shock    36

I'm surprised how beats have got kids and wannabe hipsters buying their overpriced tat.

In some aspects, we have come a full circle in regards to technology. Geeks used to be bullied, now we got street gangs using Facebook to diss and having regular updates on twitter.

No more is technology appreciated by its innovations and quality alone. It's more about how average non technical person can understand it. Samsung's TV's is a prime example, where it had become a market leader mainly by using smoke and mirrors and not on technological advances. Apple to a point. Beats, another example of getting tacky celebrities to wear them had made it a must have item for the average youth who are obsessed with celebs and footballers.

from my Nexus 4 using magic

RobM    195

I agree with your sentiment entirely, but I don't agree that technology is no longer appreciated by its innovations and quality. I think the very same people who used to be considered geeks and nerds for appreciating technology still do so.

People like us! People who want to discuss the merits of octa-core processing, of Bluetooth LTE and iBeacons, of screen technology, of software services... of all the things that ultimately become the norm and adopted in every-day commodity items.

Same applies with audio; Beats may rule the fashion market, but the higher-end quality manufacturers are still appreciated just as they were before, they just aren't mass-market like Beats. I dare say they're doing better than before as more people are interested in and appreciate the finer details of technology.

The lines are being blurred though and companies that used to be truly high-end only are making products for fashion or mass-market, but that's business and if it keeps them profitable and able to produce for the high-end, we're all winners.

normal    346

HTC have finally turned in a Quarter's profit after a long time. Not big numbers, but at least their in the black. The disappointing thing is, that although it's good news that they're making money, their sales numbers haven't increased.