Milhouse

Microsoft Surface

satsuma    178

I'm in the "I want one" frame of mind right now, but the pricing has dampened my enthusiasm a bit. The lack of storage options on the lower price ones is a pain. Touching under 2K for the 512GB model when you factor in accessories is bonkers.

Yeah interestingly you could look at the entry-level Surface 3 Pro as a companion device for being out-and-about a la iPad (MS Office available for iPad now and, in my experience, is not bad)

• 64GB iPad Air (WiFi) + 3rd party keyboard cover £660
  • 64GB iPad Air WWAN + 3rd party keyboard cover £760.
  • 64GB Surface 3 Pro + keyboard cover ~£760

So the Intel chip, access to full-fat Windows, bigger screen and stylus capability is charged at a premium of about £100 over equivalent iPad solution.

I think that the premium is resonable but imagine if there was no price difference, how much more attrctive would Surface Pro 3 be then?

normal    346

I have to agree. If Microsoft want the Surface line to take off then they have to price more competitively. They'd argue that the Pro 3 offers good value vs a MBA because of it's versatility and touch screen, but the consumer will still want it be be the same price or cheaper than the Apple product. Apple are supposed to set the top price limit for a product category, not a benchmark to work around as far as most people are concerned. Does Microsoft have a halo effect on any of it's products???

Milhouse    355

I actually quite liked the Asus Transformer T100 my brother has - it's a tablet, it's got a proper hinged keyboard (one of the criticisms levelled at the latest Surface) to become a real laptop (that can actually be used on your lap), it runs full-fat Windows 8.x, and the best part is, it cost under £300.

OK, it's only a 10" screen with 1300-something resolution and is hardly a speed demon, but if you hanker after Windows 8.x on the move it actually makes for a very nice tablet-cum-laptop at a price that won't break the bank. The Surface 3 prices on the other hand are pretty steep and will rule it out for most people - just as well it's aimed at businesses, I guess.

I also wonder how Microsofts laptop "partners" feel about its continued efforts to try and disrupt their business - that's going to have to come to a head eventually.

satsuma    178

Surface 3 announced.

10.8" screen, Atom Cherry Trail processor, 1920x1280 resolution, full Windows 8.1 (free upgrade to Win 10), MS Office free for a year,USB 3port , mini display port and microSD.

£419 for 32GB model with 2GB RAM

£459 for 64GB model with 4GB RAM

£499 for 128GB model with 4GB RAM

Keyboard is £109

iPad Air 2

64 GB wifi is £479

128 GB wifi is £559

3rd part keyboard covers from likes of Logitech are typically £80-£90

The Surface 3 128GB might be quite good for people wanting a larger screen tablet for with productivity capability.

Milhouse    355

What's this "full Windows" all about - didn't the previous Surface 2 have full Windows? Seems ridiculous that they're only now releasing a tablet with "full Windows".

satsuma    178

What's this "full Windows" all about - didn't the previous Surface 2 have full Windows? Seems ridiculous that they're only now releasing a tablet with "full Windows".

:D Stop raining on MSFT's parade will yah!

At last they are putting out some semi-decent products.

Milhouse    355

Like I said, I genuinely liked the Asus T100, I just don't get this "full" Windows tag (which I've seen reported elsewhere today, as if it's something new and amazing). Is this actually new (and different from previous Surface 1 & 2 attempts, as I'm sure they also used "full" Windows), or merely an attempt to distance itself from Surface/Windows RT?

MadDog    464

Surface 3 announced.

10.8" screen, Atom Cherry Trail processor, 1920x1280 resolution, full Windows 8.1 (free upgrade to Win 10), MS Office free for a year,USB 3port , mini display port and microSD.

£419 for 32GB model with 2GB RAM

£459 for 64GB model with 4GB RAM

£499 for 128GB model with 4GB RAM

Keyboard is £109

iPad Air 2

64 GB wifi is £479

128 GB wifi is £559

3rd part keyboard covers from likes of Logitech are typically £80-£90

The Surface 3 128GB might be quite good for people wanting a larger screen tablet for with productivity capability.

That actually looks like sensible pricing!

MeKeV    98

I guess I'm surprised that anyone bothers to make the distinction any more.

It'll be for the 3 reasons, one to get away from RT/Starter editions as you mentioned, 2 because it seems like they've dropped the "Pro" from it's name, and 3 because IOS and Android are not "full" desktop operating systems.

For me it makes sense for them to highlight it.