normal

The Premier League Thread

normal    345

I had a small thought for Utd fans out there and then I remembered this and it made me feel better again.

normal    345

So. In no particular order:

1. Chelsea are having a board meeting to decide whether to sack Jose or not. Juande Ramos is being suggested as a caretaker!

2. Utd board wondering whether to sack or back LVG (they don't like him, but Utd could still possibly win the title) as there's rumblings of player mutiny.

3. Guardiola will make public his decision next week.

Milhouse    355

If Chelsea sack* Jose, he'll be at United before the end of the season. Guaranteed.

* Their policy is not to sack but pay gardening leave until end of contract/find another job, so no huge compensation for Jose - possibly max 1 year.

satsuma    178

It is obviously a big "if".

But if it does happen, he'll likely take a sabbatical and lick his wounds.

I'd love him at United but I don't think the board will have him.

I'd say he's more likely to end up in France (PSG, Monaco), Italy (again) or Spain (again).

If United win a few games over Xmas and manage to get in a goal-scorer in January then they may well be able to get back in contention and end up 2nd or 3rd - in which case LVG will see out his contract.

Of course if United start to drop down the table then United may well act.

Spanish press already saying that Guardiola won't renew with Bayern - in which case he either goes City or United; he'd be silly to choose the mad house that is Chelsea.

Of course Ancelotti is also waiting in the wings for a juicy job and the likes of Simeone and Allegri must be wondering what it's like to get EPL wages. (Klopp is already finding out)

Given the eye-watering amounts of money swilling around in the EPL next year onwards, I can only see the pressure to succeed becoming more urgent and more and more unsteady ships in the league.

Agents must be wetting themselves in anticipation.

Milhouse    355

I keep reading the headline, hoping it's not true. Ffs, we're never going to get a better manager. He's never going to come back for a third time, so that's it. Over.

Who's next then? Pep? He'd be nuts to come to us. Guess we'll know next week. We'll probably end up with someone delusional and second rate, like Rodgers, who won't last a season.

I guess the doctor can come back now.

Rvn    103

Yep, it's the only result that slightly softens the blow of losing at home to Norwich.

normal    345

It's a crazy season so far. Who'd have predicted Jose and LVG would be in this position before Christmas? The romantic in me wants Leicester to win the league and if Spurs don't secure a top 4 place this season then when will we? (The Spurs fan in me expects us to come fourth and Chelsea win the CL again)

normal    345

Well done Southampton and Stoke! Also a nicely comfortable game for Spurs vs Norwich. I'd drop Eriksen right now as he's cruising a bit too much over the last month and we've got several players dieing to make an impression. A strangely nice position to be in with midfield at least.

Rvn    103

Damn you Arsenal, I was expecting a win! Great result for Southampton, but I expected us to lose against Stoke. Still don't know what Schneiderlin has done to not get picked now that's he's fit. Liverpool beat Leicester, who'd have guessed!?

Milhouse    355

If Arsenal don't win the title this season they never will with Wenger. For all the blinkered Gooners claiming him to be a successful manager (and I've just endured 2 days with 2 of them), now is the time for him to show he's really got what it takes to be a winner - if he blows this opportunity (which is likely to be a two horse race between Citeh and one other) then Arsenal may as well begin the hunt for a successor unless the club wants to admit that 4th place and CL football every year is the absolute height of their ambitions (which, quite honestly, is all it has been for the last 8-10 years).

As for United, they may as well allow that useless lump Rooney go on a free - it would at least get his massive and undeserved wages off the books. Can't really see anyone paying good money for him, not with his crazy wages.

normal    345

A good game vs Watford, although we made it harder than necessary by failing to win by two. Gomes showed what a good keeper he can be when he's not clowning around. Also didn't help we had two nailed on penalties not given. I'm really not looking forward to visiting Man City next week given that they've just been hammered by Leicester.

On a side note, my Mrs this morning said she'd do a year's housework if Spurs win the league this season. COYS! :P

Milhouse    355

Spuds up to second - I didn't think this season could get any worse! :)

I'm loving Leicester though, hope Ranners can do it.

normal    345

Part of me wants Leicester to win too, but if Spurs are still in with a chance at the end of the season then stuff romanticism!

Rvn    103

Can't blame you for that! Either club winning instead of Arsenal or City would be excellent.

normal    345

It'll no longer be the Barclays Premier League, and just the Premier League. Can't say I like the new logo much.

Posted Image

RobM    195

In other words, nobody wanted to pay to sponsor it.

Sold the FA Cup rights but no bugger wants 'the best league in the world'.

Maybe I'm being cynical and this is what they wanted really... who needs money anyway?

Rvn    103

I think the clubs and FA have moved away from one sponsor and have agreed a "centralised strategy" enabling them to have multiple secondary sponsors with Nike and EA Sports already in. So it's about more money.

normal    345

A big weekend. The results were certainly interesting and I'm proud of the Spurs players. They stuck to their job and got lucky with the first goal.

Rvn    103

I didn't see the Spurs match but I sure saw the result! Brilliant! Leicester blew it and there could have been 2 red cards after the Drinkwater challenge on Ramsey. Having said that, I didn't think that Arsenal were going to win that match until the red card. But the league is still marginally Leicester's to lose.