normal

The Premier League Thread

Majed    51

Jose met with his coaching team for 15mins on pitch after the game.

Is that his usual thing to do or is there something deeper there?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

RobM    195

Can't imagine there are many other places to talk without being overheard without resorting to office spaces and meeting rooms behind the scenes. Could be an entirely innocent way of talking away from others.

satsuma    178

Jose's staying a little longer to prolong the agony apparently.

Mancini seems to be the latest linked to the impending hot seat.

Can't see it personally. Would be a kick in the teeth for Jose.

On Man Utd.

We cannot seem to score freely.

It's not just an LVG.

Man Utd were scoring over 2 goals per game during Taggart's last season.

Since Taggart it's gone down.

The problem was actually there even when Taggart was around but RVP temporarily fixed it.

It will take time, and significant new personnel, to change that.

I would be satisfied with 3rd this season and still think we have a chance at coming second if can start to score some goals.

Milhouse    355

Maybe you need to pay Shrek less money, he seems to have gone into decline since his last bumper contract. And who can blame him, why try harder...

satsuma    178

It appears Fatty will be 'rested' not 'dropped' LOL

Although Fatty hasn't played well other senior attacking players need to take a look at their own recent contributions too.

It's no accident that United keep being linked with right-sided attacking players with *pace*. And as much as I love him, that's not good news my amigo.

The more I see of DeBruyne the more I can't help thinking his fee was more than worth it. Wish we'd signed him.

satsuma    178

Interesting post from Secret Footballer on Jose and Chelsea claiming Fabregas is one of the "revolt" leaders.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was true. That guy has always been a prize turd.

Winterman    33

Who, TSF? I agree, prized turd.

Fabregas has strongly denied it. If I were him and it wasn't true, I'd launch legal action as this is defamation of character.

Milhouse    355

There's some truth that Eva was liked, also some truth that she'd gotten way too big for her boots with her high profile in football (being one of the few ladies etc.). Whether our results are related to what happened to her at Swansea seems more than a little doubtful. Also if Fabregas is leading some kind of revolt, why keep playing him?

Seems like The Secret Footballer has put 2 + 2 together and come up with some random shite, then hit the "publish" button. I guess everyone feels the need to prove they have the inside track on Jose and Chelsea, even when they don't.

satsuma    178

Thing is everyone is going out of their way to say everything is hunky dory backstage.

Spanish press saying Fabregas is happy.

Serbian press saying Matic is happy,

Etc etc etc.

Today's press conference and Fabregas' tweet seem to be trying too hard to push the "unity" message.

It's unlikely that any pundit or journo has the complete inside track but it's naive to think there's not a shred of truth in any of the rumours.

It's undoubtedly the right decision to continue to back Jose at this stage (what's the alternative?) but if Chelsea seem far away from getting a UCL place at/after Xmas I'd expect something to happen.

Milhouse    355

I don't deny there's a problem, just don't believe it's got anything to do with the club doctor resigning - that's an argument that occurred between the manager and her, she decided to quit, end of discussion. There's absolutely nothing the players can do about that situation, and sulking and "organising a mini revolt" certainly won't achieve anything.

Maybe there are several other problems that are now coming together, but The Secret Footballer just seems to be sh1t stirring and concocting a story/theory based on practically no concrete information, just pulling ideas out of thing air. He's obviously been hanging around the gutter press far too long and has now taken on some of their worst habits.

I'd love if Fabregas decided to sue him for defamation. Right now we seem to be easy targets with the gutter press printing whatever shite they like, and should a player have the temerity to deny what is printed about them then they're protesting too much (so it's got to be true). Yeah OK. Geez.

satsuma    178

Get off the soap box

I posted before that whatever it is, it runs a lot deeper than Eva.

It's not about players having "temerity" to deny press speculation.

They're very entitled to and may also be completely accurate in their denial.

All I'm saying is that there are leaks and hints coming out of ever club.

At a high profile club like Chelsea, with the most high profile manager in the world, not doing well - of course there will be speculation and of course there will be some leaks. People talk.

It's obvious there is some problem in the background.

Is it player-manager relationship(s) related?

There is a reasonable chance that there is some element of that - too many reports from someone-who-heard-from-someone-who-is-an-insider for there to be no smoke without fire.

Yeah, half of it may be utter lies or exaggeration but to say definitively 'there is no problem between any players and the manager' is a bit head-in-sand I'm afraid.

*EDIT*

Will be interesting to see if Fabregas sues anyone.

Personally, I doubt he will.

Milhouse    355

but to say definitively 'there is no problem between any players and the manager' is a bit head-in-sand I'm afraid.

Which isn't what I said. At all.What I am saying, just so there's no misunderstanding, is that The Secret Footballer is almost certainly full of shite (and not really worth discussing) as nobody knows for sure what is going on, and anything you do read is almost entirely speculation, or fabrication.

satsuma    178

Fair enough.

The likelihood of a journeyman ex-player having the inside track at Chelsea is as likely as JT accepting criticism from Robbie Savage (chortle).

Lots more to come in the Chelsea saga I'm sure.

RobM    195

Terry is a cock for what he said. It also means he is now unable to accept any job in the future that requires him to talk about winning the Champions League (he wasn't in that team), or progressing past the QF's of a World Cup (he's never done that), or anything else that he himself hasn't got top-level experience in.

He has also implied that none of us fans can judge, comment or criticise, as we've not done it either. Nor reporters. Nor his manager who has never played at the top level. Nor his coaching staff.

Milhouse    355

Terry might not have been in the team that played in the Final, but he is the owner of a Champions League medal, of that there is no doubt... Whether or not you believe he should have the medal is another matter, but you can't deny he has played at the top level for his entire career, and in all the major club competitions (winning practically all of them)... unlike Robbie Savage.

The assembled hacks seemed to agree with Terry, judging by how amused they were by his comments. Let's face it, Savage is a buffoon and did nothing of note in his entire career (unless you want to include some appalling tackles). He's better known for his dodgy dress sense and lustrous hair than anything he did with a football, which is why Terry is bang on.

Rvn    103

Didn't Terry play in the team that got them to the final? Ok the full kit thing for the presentation was amusing at the time, but as club captain during the campaign its a bit harsh to deny him being part of their CL team.

Amusing put down of Savage - he's reaping what he sows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satsuma    178

I like Savage.

Don't think he's a good pundit.

But enjoy him on radio and like the banter.

Prob wasn't the best idea for JT to call him out.

I'm sure this one will run and run.

RobM    195

Terry might not have been in the team that played in the Final, but he is the owner of a Champions League medal, of that there is no doubt... Whether or not you believe he should have the medal is another matter, but you can't deny he has played at the top level for his entire career, and in all the major club competitions (winning practically all of them)... unlike Robbie Savage.The assembled hacks seemed to agree with Terry, judging by how amused they were by his comments. Let's face it, Savage is a buffoon and did nothing of note in his entire career (unless you want to include some appalling tackles). He's better known for his dodgy dress sense and lustrous hair than anything he did with a football, which is why Terry is bang on.

But none of that matters nor is it the point. It may well have gotten a laugh at the time. But the fact is JT said he'll listen to people (he named examples) who criticise him if they have played at the highest level their entire careers. He will not listen to people who have not done so (he named only Savage). Therefore he must apply the same rule to himself and others; you cannot judge someone if you've not matched or bettered their career achievements.

If he'd have said he'll take any criticism apart from Savage, because he's a tool, that would have been unprofessional but a very different situation.

Milhouse    355

Therefore he must apply the same rule to himself and others; you cannot judge someone if you've not matched or bettered their career achievements.

If you're going to criticise someone for what they said, at least get it right!Let me provide you with a verbatim quote:

"I've come under criticism, individually, from certain players and individuals, players I've looked up to and played alongside. I've taken that on the chin: Rio, Carra, Neville, the very best I've come up against in the game. I take that on the chin. When others speak, maybe I don't take it on the chin. When players have not had a career, played at a really bad level in their career … Robbie Savage being one. He's dug me out a couple of times. You take it as a footballer, as an individual. I'll take it from the Rios, Carraghers and Neville. All day long. From others? Nah."

He never once mentioned achievements, or that only players who have achieved more than him can criticise him.What he said was that players who have "not had a career" or "played at a really bad level" - and this describes Savage to a tee - are not in a position to criticise better players.Considering that Terry is one of the most highly rated England captains ever, and possibly the Premier Leagues best ever defender (and club captain), I think it's safe for him to criticise other (even "world class") players in future.Robbie Savage is not a serious pundit, nor is he a pundit that anyone takes seriously - least of all by top players, apparently. When it comes to football punditry, Robbie Savage ranks alongside Skinner & Baddiel. If he's going to criticise players that had a better career than he did (and that's an awful lot of players!) he deserves to be called out on it. To give you an example, I wouldn't expect to have my professional computer development skills (Terry) criticised by an Excel Jockey (Savage), but if it happened I'd have absolutely no problem ripping them to shreds.