normal

The Premier League Thread

satsuma    178

Really great response from United today to Arsenal defeat.

Big fan of Ander Herrera, his contribution was immense.

There's a core in United at the moment that LVG would do well to put on the team sheet at the beginning of most games:

DDG

Darmian

Smalling

Scneidelin

Mata

Herrera

And probably Martial could be added to that in a few months too.

If Shaw hadn't been injured, I would added him too.

We've got a squad good enough to be challenging on all fronts but need more depth to be winning silverware and maybe one really great centre half and a galactico-type forward/attacker to make us really shine.

Having said that Citeh proved they are the front-runners today despite having key players missing.

De Bruyne and Stirling may have been expensive acquisitions but they certainly looked good today.

Stirling scored excellent goals but I thought it was De Bruyne who looked like he may become world class. I suspect Chelsea will regret letting him go.

Rvn    103

Really great response from United today to Arsenal defeat.Big fan of Ander Herrera, his contribution was immense.There's a core in United at the moment that LVG would do well to put on the team sheet at the beginning of most games:DDGDarmianSmallingScneidelinMataHerreraAnd probably Martial could be added to that in a few months too.If Shaw hadn't been injured, I would added him too.We've got a squad good enough to be challenging on all fronts but need more depth to be winning silverware and maybe one really great centre half and a galactico-type forward/attacker to make us really shine.Having said that Citeh proved they are the front-runners today despite having key players missing.De Bruyne and Stirling may have been expensive acquisitions but they certainly looked good today.Stirling scored excellent goals but I thought it was De Bruyne who looked like he may become world class. I suspect Chelsea will regret letting him go.

Indeed, cracking game. I'd add Martial to that list immediately. He makes a huge difference to our attacking play. That's our first choice team in the absence of Shaw, but Rooney is the only expendable option IMO. Nice to see him score at Goodison for a change, but he's lost some pace as was evident in the one on one with Howard. If we play with that line up against Citeh and remain disciplined and patient it could be a great match.

MeKeV    98

We really didn't turn up at all and gifted two perhaps all 3 of the goals. I wouldn't get too excited by that win!

Yous did look much more organised than we've got used to of recent years though.

Rvn    103

After the season we had under Moyes and our record at Goodison, rare victories like that are something to remember! But yes we've some improving to do.

RobM    195

Really great response from United today to Arsenal defeat.Big fan of Ander Herrera, his contribution was immense.There's a core in United at the moment that LVG would do well to put on the team sheet at the beginning of most games:DDGDarmianSmallingScneidelinMataHerreraAnd probably Martial could be added to that in a few months too.If Shaw hadn't been injured, I would added him too.We've got a squad good enough to be challenging on all fronts but need more depth to be winning silverware and maybe one really great centre half and a galactico-type forward/attacker to make us really shine.Having said that Citeh proved they are the front-runners today despite having key players missing.De Bruyne and Stirling may have been expensive acquisitions but they certainly looked good today.Stirling scored excellent goals but I thought it was De Bruyne who looked like he may become world class. I suspect Chelsea will regret letting him go.

Schneiderlin plays most games at the start of the season, Utd do well.

Schneiderin dropped for Arsenal game, Utd get smashed.

Schneiderlin back in team, Utd do well again.

Hard to spot the pattern there...

;)

Being serious... he is the sort of player you don't necessarily notice until he's not there. He'll make your defence look good.

Rvn    103

Absolutely, it was a shock not to see him on the team sheet against Arsenal. Other selection and tactical changes were crucial.

Rvn    103

So Tim Sherwood unsurprisingly sacked this morning. Brenton to Villa to instill some character! 3 players have been identified and envelopes prepared.

satsuma    178

From what I read, Guardiola is the favoured successor but his availability (and whether he'd want to risk going to Chelsea) is questionable.

If Mourinho has indeed list the dressing room, I think it will be difficult for him to last the rest of the season. Obviously Ancelotti (who Abramovich should never have sacked) is available.

On another note, I really think Fatty needs to be dropped for Memphis to come in left and Martial in the centre, or at the very least Martial moved to the centre and Fatty can play left.

Losing a bit of confidence in Mata over last couple of appearances too.

Shame Januzaj ain't around to challenge for his place.

I'd be tempted to let Pereira start instead of Mata.

normal    346

Chelsea boys are quite.....

I think Ancelotti is the only sensible choice available if Jose can't turn it around. I'd still love to know what's going on at Chelsea, it's bizarre.

Rvn    103

Whichever pundit said it seemed liked Jose was begging to be sacked might have been on to something. All he had to do was apologise to Eva and reinstate her!

RobM    195

The longer the current saga continues, the more it looks like the whole Eva situation was symptomatic of bigger and longer-term problems behind the scenes at Chelsea.

satsuma    178

The longer the current saga continues, the more it looks like the whole Eva situation was symptomatic of bigger and longer-term problems behind the scenes at Chelsea.

I agree Eva saga a symptom of something deeper.I like Jose, a lot. But.....This could be very bad for Jose's reputation in the longer term. Didn't get on at RM, didn't get on Chelsea. Has established a reputation as being inflexible and arrogant but can build winning sides if he gets everything his own way. The new LVG But *if* he leaves Chelsea where does he go next?Another EPL club?Barca wouldn't have him and I don't think RM would have him back either.Bundesliga? Serie A - Juve?

RobM    195

I think it could be a good match. PSG have money, the league isn't that challenging so he would be 'successful' regularly, they can buy Champions League progress easily enough, it's fashionable and not seen as a massive backwards step. I think ego is more important than regular genuine competition.

Otherwise I think you're right, he's slowly but surely ruling himself out of a lot of the worlds best clubs and therefore leagues. In Germany and Spain especially, take the top two clubs out and the rest would be seen as beneath him. Italy isn't much better.

Milhouse    355

His father's not well. It seems everything he does or says right now just causes more problems. If he speaks, he's in trouble with the FA. If he says nothing, he's in trouble with the FA (although Taggart got away with it for years). The poor bugger can't win (literally). Maybe he needs a break.

RobM    195

Some blue-tinted spectacles there, Milhouse. It's not saying something or not saying something that's causing him a problem, it's what he says and how he declares he's saying nothing.

He knows he cannot be as blatantly critical of referees in the manner he does, but he does it anyway. His obsession with Wenger combined with the inconsistency in how the FA punish such comments don't help, as it seems to fuel his need to speak out.

He therefore gets in trouble.

So he refuses to speak. Which gets him in trouble.

The media wind him up for sure, but it's not impossible to simply say 'I'm here to talk about the game, my players and their footballing performance only. I will not answer unrelated questions' and stick to that point. He doesn't though. He can't.

Rvn    103

That's what happens a) when we play badly against one of our bogey teams and b) when 3 of our penalty takers are England internationals.

satsuma    178

I wish Scholes would stop barking from the sidelines like some kind of stray dog.

He's becoming almost as tiresome as Roy Keane.

Biggest disappointment for me in Capital One Cup was the form of Memphis.

Rvn    103

I wish Scholes would stop barking from the sidelines like some kind of stray dog.He's becoming almost as tiresome as Roy Keane.Biggest disappointment for me in Capital One Cup was the form of Memphis.

Unfortunately for LVG he's right! We are over cautious and dull more often than not. Conversely, LVG is also right to point out that Scholes should get more involved with the coaching at United instead of gobbing off as a pundit.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk