normal

The Samsung Galaxy S8 Thread

79 posts in this topic

I'm sure there is no button. It's more the fact that Samsung need to waste time developing a voice assistant so late in the game when there are many alternatives already. They're very late to the party but seem to think there's an actual need for this.

For years people have asked Samsung for a dedicated camera button which has been ignored but all of a sudden they've managed to find a button for this?

17 hours ago, Rvn said:

Do new Apple products have a Siri button now? I thought it was only voice activated.

Not really... but press and hold the home button and you'll launch Siri.

So nothing exclusive. I'm surprised at Samsung with their button considering all the voice activated devices around now.

We'll have to see how widespread it is, mine may have a slight tinge down the side but certainly nothing to get upset about.
I'm more interested in battery performance.
After it's first charge I'm on 6½ hours SOT with 30% left.
That's mostly on WI-FI so the big test will be tomorrow when I'm out all day and on Cellular.....

53 minutes ago, SteveyAsp said:

We'll have to see how widespread it is, mine may have a slight tinge down the side but certainly nothing to get upset about.
I'm more interested in battery performance.
After it's first charge I'm on 6½ hours SOT with 30% left.
That's mostly on WI-FI so the big test will be tomorrow when I'm out all day and on Cellular.....

6 1/2 hours SoT is very good. I was hoping the new hardware would get more from what seemed like a disappointingly small battery.

After finding out about it being limited to Cat 9 for Europe (goodness knows why) I spoke to someone within EE who confirmed that the Note 8 will support Cat 16 and EE will be actively pushing that fact later in the year, also confirming that the EU S8s definitely are restricted to Cat 9 - regardless of what the Samsung UK site says.

As I expect the fingerprint sensor issue to be fixed for the Note 8, and possibly an even better camera sensor (or two?) with the improved post-processing from the S8, and almost certainly a larger battery, this is going to be 'the one'. The S8 is so very nearly there though, but what was Samsung thinking when deciding to cripple specs? LG and Motorola have done that for a while and got loads of negative press, so why do the same?

They're going the same way as Nokia. Releasing incomplete handsets to keep to a schedule. Mind you, Nokia used to release them both late and incomplete.

6 1/2 hours SoT is very good. I was hoping the new hardware would get more from what seemed like a disappointingly small battery.
After finding out about it being limited to Cat 9 for Europe (goodness knows why) I spoke to someone within EE who confirmed that the Note 8 will support Cat 16 and EE will be actively pushing that fact later in the year, also confirming that the EU S8s definitely are restricted to Cat 9 - regardless of what the Samsung UK site says.
As I expect the fingerprint sensor issue to be fixed for the Note 8, and possibly an even better camera sensor (or two?) with the improved post-processing from the S8, and almost certainly a larger battery, this is going to be 'the one'. The S8 is so very nearly there though, but what was Samsung thinking when deciding to cripple specs? LG and Motorola have done that for a while and got loads of negative press, so why do the same?

I was on 7 Hrs 57 mins when I put it on charge at 3%

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2 people like this

I've got the regular S8, and have set it to maximum screen resolution (which of course they're not set to by default), and with regular use (probably about 3 hours SOT), the phone hadn't dropped below 50% by the end of the day ... that's definitely better than my G5 was managing.

Incidently, 3 have the LG G6 in store, and while it looks like a nicely put together handset, the screen is nowhere near as emersive as the Samsung one.

Incidently, 3 have the LG G6 in store, and while it looks like a nicely put together handset, the screen is nowhere near as emersive as the Samsung one.

Not to take this topic off track, but it's the LG G6's Wide Angle Camera that gives it more purpose to me.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Majed said:

Not to take this topic off track, but it's the LG G6's Wide Angle Camera that gives it more purpose to me.

I agree; and if it had had wireless charging, I would have bought it over the S8

1 person likes this

I agree; and if it had had wireless charging, I would have bought it over the S8

The thing is all LG's drop in price quickly and i wouldn't be surprised to see it at £500 or below within 3 month's
LG have made 3 fatal error's IMO
Not getting it out earlier,
The price and stripping it's specs for our market.

ie. What they're selling. When they're selling it. And for how much.

Doesn’t look good

1 person likes this

I don't think the price is a major factor; it's cheaper than the S8 for what most people will see as a broadly equivalent specification. But as we've all said numerous times, they needed to get it out sooner (it seems increasingly like a large proportion of the networks aren't going to be taking it), and they needed to not strip out it's USPs.

In fact I'll go as far as to say that if we'd gotten the version with wireless charging, 64GB and Quad-DAC (I'm not actually sure that variant exists anywhere), then we'd all be rushing out to buy it!

In fact I'll go as far as to say that if we'd gotten the version with wireless charging, 64GB and Quad-DAC (I'm not actually sure that variant exists anywhere), then we'd all be rushing out to buy it!

Nope. That configuration doesn't exist anywhere unfortunately.
You get Wireless Charging and 32GB storage in the US, Quad-DAC and 64GB storage but no wireless charging in Asia and Middle East and 32GB Storage with no Wireless Charging and I think no Quad-Dac either in the UK.

Just now, Majed said:

Nope. That configuration doesn't exist anywhere unfortunately.
You get Wireless Charging and 32GB storage in the US, Quad-DAC and 64GB storage but no wireless charging in Asia and Middle East and 32GB Storage with no Wireless Charging and I think no Quad-Dac either in the UK.

You're right; and no, there is no Quad-DAC in the UK

The original Galaxy S had a cracking Wolfson DAC in it .... and they didn't even advertise it as a feature.

Needless to say that got binned in the S2 to cut costs but I still know a couple of guys who use the Galaxy S with the Supercurio audio driver as a top end music player.

I'm currently using the Nokia N95-2 with a Creative E3 Bluetooth DAC & B&O H3 play headphones and the sound quality is immense.

Edited by kradcliffe

So I was asked on Twitter of my opinion after picking up a GS8 a few days ago.

Below sums it up briefly for me (baring in mind, I'm an iOS user now a days). bca5a1b2abad5d78cdbbc6b25375f8ee.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

I want to stress that this is purely my view on the matter. Not my Dad's or brother's or anyone else for that matter.

I'm sure other people will say Android does everyday things better than iPhone (and I'm sure it actually does for them), it's just for my needs and with my iOS setup, I can never feel Android can fully win me over.

Lovely looking phone though and feels really nice in the hand.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Nice "side chick" analogy! As good as my 6S is in use, charging it 2-3 times a day isn't worth it. How does the S8 compare to the iPhone in this regard?

I'm not sure how to find an accurate measure, but I'd say around 5 hrs on average.

My S8 is holding up very, very well in the battery stakes. I'm not dropping below about 40% remaining after a full day (16 - 17 hours) of commuting, probably about 4 -5 hours screen on time, plus a lot of WiFi / Celular swapping