normal

The Samsung Galaxy S8 Thread

79 posts in this topic

Thought I'd kick off the thread with a sneak peak 

IMG_9948.JPG

Confirmed specs so far:

• Both S8 and S8+ come with a "dual edge" screen
  • Snapdragon 835 chipset (apparently the only first phone to have it, as Samsung are the fab for this chip)
  • IP68 Waterproof
  • 5.8" (S8) and 6.2" (S8+) QHD+ AMOLED screens
  • Eye (iris) scanner
  • 12MP "dual pixel" camera
  • 8MP front camera
  • 4GB RAM
  • 64GB Flash Memory, expandable via removable SD-Card slot (!!!)
  • Wireless charging
  • 4G LTE capable, featuring Samsung Knox, Samsung Pay, Earphones by AKG
2 people like this

No home or capacitive buttons ..... I am one of the people who actually does like them so it's a no-no from me.

Again taking away features for design.

Have you tried the iPhone 7? It's already pretty much done away with the traditional home button and is implemented really well. I now find it strange using older iPhones.

I've been playing with a lot of iPhone 6's and 7's over the last few weeks, and I can definitely say that the virtual, fake, feedback, touch, vibrate, whatever on the 7 is AWFUL compared to the real button on the 6.

I much prefer a real button to press; that's why I like LG's solution of hiding the button on the back (where it's a natural press for a finger)

Yeah, tried the iphone 7 in the Apple store and the feedback where it makes the phone vibrate is horrible!

No sign of any buttons on this pic from t'interweb

Capture.JPG

Edited by kradcliffe

I think you have to use one for a few days to appreciate it.

Are them leaked pics of the rear still assumed to be correct? With the camera and fingerprint sensor right next to each other?

"WHY WONT IT UNLOCK?", "WHY ARE MY PHOTOS BLURRY?"

40 minutes ago, MeKeV said:

Are them leaked pics of the rear still assumed to be correct? With the camera and fingerprint sensor right next to each other?

I thought that too; at least LG put the finger print reader under the camera

4 hours ago, MeKeV said:

Pictures were from here

26 minutes ago, Filip017 said:

The freshest photo of the new sgs8 emoji4.png

0f311203789b3189d61bc5632f2aa04c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nice first post!

It definitely looks like this thing is going to have two front facing cameras ... a 3D selfie mode perhaps?

What I've heard so far (please correct me where I'm wrong)
  • All versions come with a "dual edge" screen
  • Snapdragon 835 chipset (apparently the only first phone to have it, as Samsung are the fab for this chip)
  • Waterproof
  • 5.5 inch 4K screen [needs clarification between the two models]
  • Eye (iris) scanner
  • 30MP camera
  • 6GB RAM; 64, 128GB Flash
  • No removable SD-Card

All the rumours I've seen suggest a 5.8" and 6.2" screen

It remains to be seen whether the S8 launch goes off with a bang

2 people like this

It won't be in European S8s though, as for some reason Samsung *still* haven't got it approved for LTE use in Europe (!)

It's OK in the US and in Asia, but not in Europe... that's why Samsung are still building and releasing Snapdragon equipped variants of their phones (and ironically, Samsung seem to better support the Snapdragon ones with firmware updates and so on, rather than favouring their own Exynos equipped phones)

Samsung are also fabricating the Snapdragon 835 for Qualcomm, allegedly on the same 10nm fab technology, so the Exynos chip won't be king of the hill for long

Seems difficult to root and create custom ROMs for the Exynos variants which could be an issue for some. I remember reading all about this when I got the S7 edge. US carriers still seem to be locking bootloaders.

I think this will be a fantastic handset but Samsung will also charge a very high price.

I like edge-to-edge screens and virtualised buttons can work very well.

I can say that, in my experience,  the software-based home button on iPhone is excellent - I always use Plus model in a case and do not feel the whole phone move at all. It's one less moving part to fail. 

The weak point in the S7 Edge was actually the "edge" - it's annoyingly fiddly sometimes, so hopefully Samsung will address this.

The real challenge for Samsung in the high-end market is that lesser alternatives from the likes of Huawei are beginning to look more and more credible even they are not quite as polished or cutting edge. The Mate 9 is an amazing piece of kit, the P10 will be a great handset, the One Plus Three T i9s fantastic value for money. I suspect that LG's G6 will overcome the epic failure of the G5 and also steal back a bit of market share.

Then in the background you have the Pixel 2.

The Pixel is a great phone. It is bested by the S7 only marginally for me by waterproofing, always-on display and a slightly better camera. But at least the Pixel gives you the pure Google experience. I suspect the Pixel 2 will

1. Address at least 2 of those issues
  2. Get wider distribution through MNOs and other retailers

So although the S8 will be a great phone I think the differentiation to others will be sigificantly less this year than last year.

Well the S7 edge is almost a perfect handset (apart from the edge funnily enough). 

Thing is if something happened to my two Note 4 handsets and I had to go shopping currently I would go for the Honor 8. It can be had for around £280 on promotion and that's a very good price considering. As good as the Samsung handsets are I just think they are getting silly with the prices .... and we only have Apple to blame for this.

Apple make a healthy profit and became the richest company in the world. It's hard to blame other companies wanting to emulate that. I just wish they also matched Apple for service and quality 

6 minutes ago, normal said:

Apple make a healthy profit and became the richest company in the world. It's hard to blame other companies wanting to emulate that. I just wish they also matched Apple for service and quality 

And that's one of the 2 main things Apple has right?

1. Customer service generally at a higher level than any other manufacturer
  2. It's own ecosystem with ever more ways of keeping you tied in - apps, music, accessories, finance etc

You have those 2 things and you can charge a premium more easily than others.

They only actually need no.2 of that list ... the iSheep will forgive service if their ecosystem is attractive enough to those sheep (and let's face it; their marketing is doing an amazing job at that)

I was ready to leave Apple last year when their service standards dropped significantly, but they more than made up for it in the end. 

It's easy to dismiss iOS users as iSheep, but the quality of apps available and ease of use are still a good distance ahead of Android. I'm using an Android handset significantly for a first time in a long time, and it's still a fiddly PITA.

On 22/02/2017 at 4:08 PM, Filip017 said:

The freshest photo of the new sgs8 emoji4.png

0f311203789b3189d61bc5632f2aa04c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I hope Samsung get their fingers-on-edge-of-screen rejection algorithm absolutely spot-on, or using that device while holding it could be frustrating...

And capacitive buttons (actually, any home button) is frankly stone age. Welcome to the 2014s, guys... (Jolla user with no home button at all). :)