Sign in to follow this  
Haddock26

what smartwatch? Feminine or close!

Haddock26    9

Hope everyone had a good Xmas and new year. (I don't seem to have permission to write in the new year post, maybe I'm too late, haha)(via TT)

So, I am wanting a watch that isn't too butch, that has all the features of my pebble, such as customisable faces, colour screen, pedometer, calorie counter, time active, sleep monitoring, music controls, out of range vibration, weather, smart notifications (whatsapp et al), works for iOS. And under £200.

So what it's come down to is the garmin FR 230 or garmin vivoactive HR.

One thing I'd like, if these watches do it, is for it to acknowledge I am doing a workout. But as I've never had it before, nothing lost if not. But it really would quite like it.

I do realise that one has a HR monitor and the other doesn't. So that may answer my workout query, but specs seem to suggest the 230 might somehow know I'm doing a workout of sorts too.

So I'm a bit confused. I keep swaying my decision back and forth.

I am open to other suggestions. But not Fitbit, they just don't appeal. And no one that's going to go bankrupt in the next few years, haha.

I don't want any extra accessories like a separate HR monitor, I don't need anymore strapped onto me at the gym.

Edited by Haddock26

mcgrad    74

I've had many different FRers, although I've never had a 230. I'm pretty sure you have to manually trigger the exercise activity with the FR. The FR 230 is very much geared around running - it is a running watch with smartwatch features added on, as apposed to a smartwatch with running features added on.

Haddock26    9

I think I'm leaning more toward the vivoactive hr. and purchase a different strap. I was so close to buying the 230. But I think feature wise the other suits me more. And with the (purple) 230 having white on it'll get grubby.

Haddock26    9

Actually. Scrap the vivioactive. It's huge! I knew it was slighter bigger. But after looking at more and more pics. No. Back to the drawing board ??‍♀️

My pebble time steel is so normal looking watch wise, and looks fine on a girl. Why did pebble have to go bankrupt. I need support and bug fixes! Tut.

Haddock26    9

I've never really been into fitbits. The blaze being the only appealing one. Not overly keen on the screen bracket design. But it's the only watch that is close to what I want so I guess I'll have to do that. 

This morning my pebble suddenly got full functionality back. Then crashed. *eye roll*

normal    345

Did you get an email from fitbit this weekend? I got one offering me a $50 dollar discount as a Pebble owner. Not sure if it's applicable in the UK.

Haddock26    9

No. Someone else sent me the email from somewhere your side of the world. But I couldn't apply it. Such a shame. Because I'd be more inclined to get one. As it seems like the blaze is fine but not amazing. (But at least all its functions would work). 

Wonder why they haven't sent such an offer to all of pebbles customers?! I wonder if it's a uk thing. But why. 

Haddock26    9

Fitbit hating on their uk customers. I dont know why we cant have the equivalent of $50 off. Rude. I'd buy a blaze for sure if I had the offer. 

MeKeV    96

Not colour screen, but better contrast and no manufacturer warranty or parts, but the pebble 2 could still be an option if you're fully aware of the limits. They've said the servers will be up til 2018, and there's already user created alternatives to some of the services.

I wouldn't rule it out just because pebble are dead, but you'd definitely need to know what you're buying in to before you do.

Another thing to think about is if fitbit use any of the pebble tech to bring out a new watch in the next couple years.

Haddock26    9

I still think Fitbit should offer all their customers such a deal, not just US. They're being stupid by not doing so.

Well if I'm gonna stick with pebble I may as well stick with my pebble time steel. 

But given the issues I have, is why I am looking for something else. (Connectivity being lost, crashing, apps failing, watch wiping itself, getting logged out of the phone app randomly... of which some can be fixed quite quickly, but other issues can take 20min (but only til the next time) ...and I can get one problem in a week, or several, or none).

These bugs I'm having, no one is there to iron it out, to update, or to support. So the servers being on for now means nothing to me. The only advice Fitbit gives to all its pebble customers is to make sure everything is up to date, which it has been for ages.

Therefore I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a new pebble as, as soon as you encounter problems with no support, essentially you're wearing a scrap yard on your wrist. 

Gutted really, as nothing comes close to my PTS :-|

Haddock26    9

So I like the look of the misfit vapour. But I'm not sure when it's out and it's probably out of my price range. However if anyone knows any info or rumours on this please tell me. 

Another watch that caught my eye is the ticwatch 2. Probably one I'm going to look into further.

Shame the Martian Notifier smartwatch doesn't have at least a pedometer as it's that cheap it would make do as a stop gap watch. It's had alright reviews. 

Haddock26    9

I'm an iPhone user. But I hear the Apple Watch has like one days battery. I'm used to a ten day life. However I know I may have to compromise on this. But one day! So with that in mind, I can't justify the spend. 

Dean5098    2

Plenty on eBay and av forums. Worth a look before forking out on a series 2. I've tried a few different watches and the apples is by far the best for use and built quality. 

Majed    51

I'm an iPhone user. But I hear the Apple Watch has like one days battery. I'm used to a ten day life. However I know I may have to compromise on this. But one day! So with that in mind, I can't justify the spend. 

Of course it will depend on your usage and you'll never get 10 days out of a series 2 Apple Watch, but I get two full days out of series 2 vs 1 day from the original Apple Watch.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk

Haddock26    9

Hmm. I'd cope with 3-5 days. It's just not convenient for me to charge a lot when I want to monitor my sleep. Currently I just put it on for like 40-50 min charge whilst I get ready for work in the morn as and when it needs to/ when I remember. I mean, I'll cope if I have to.. but having that reduced battery life, would mean the watch has to be a winner in everything else/ almost perfect.

Can it know the fact that I'm working out, as opposed to doing nothing/ recording a couple of steps? 

Haddock26    9

Had a look into the Apple Watch... I'm really struggling. I've gone from 50/50 to 0. I wanted to consider the Apple Watch. But it's massively above my price bracket (like double the price). And the 18 hours (to apparently 2 days) makes me too nervous. 18 hours! That's not even a DAY! And like I said, I want the watch to monitor my sleep, so it's not as easy to change as a phone. I'm going to end up cut short at times, and that just won't do. So with that and the price I'm going to discount it. I thought worst come to worst I could go for it, but I just cannot even have it as a last resort. 

kradcliffe    152

Probably not what you're looking for but the Fitbit Charge 2 does a great job of sleep tracking. There are a few niggles with the device and support is awful but overall it's pretty good. 

Let's me see exactly why being a DJ since 1985 has completely wrecked my sleep patterns.

Capture.JPG

Edited by kradcliffe

normal    345

Haddock. Unless you hammer an Apple watch with lots of gps and streaming stuff, or a lot of active screen on time # then 2 days is perfectly normal.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this