MadDog

'Smart' Televisions

MadDog    464

Carrying on from the Samsung thread

This is what I meant about android TV

I think the Hisense ones have android too which means you can install Kodi on the TV which I'm sure my brother-in-law has done

I'm however eyeing up and about to buy the Mi Box for my streaming solution 

- Android

- Kodi Support

- Netflix Support

Only downside currently seems to be lack of ethernet

jonmorris    184

The HiSense I've ordered doesn't have Android or there's no mention of it anywhere in reviews, online etc.

Maybe they did and dropped it, or only do it on some models?

normal    346

A mi box seems like a perfectly decent solution. Worst case scenario, you've only wasted a few quid if it becomes unsupported down the line.

neuty    24

There are micro usb too Ethernet cabkkes available, some with extra usb ports too. Same trick a few people did with the Nexus player.

Job done for the Mi box.

Carl

Milhouse    355

Panasonic I think still use Firefox OS (which was very well received).

LG have WebOS (again, well received).

Samsung offer Tizen OS on some (all?) TVs

TCL (Sharp, Hisense, Haier) offer Roku TV on some models.

Philips, Sony etc. use Android.

Interesting move by TCL but I suspect long term most manufacturers will use Android. Which is a shame, as I don't recall reading a single Android Smart TV review that included the kind of superlatives thrown at Firefox OS and WebOS.

jonmorris    184

Until I get a 4K Fire TV box, I've used the Amazon app on my TV a bit to try out Ultra-HD but I really can't see myself ever using the TV apps. The apps run quicker than I expected, but are still not a patch on the speed of the Fire box.

Plus I've found that when I switch from a TV app back to an external input (all via an amp on one HDMI with ARC) there's a delay before switching audio, meaning no sound for a bit (and no volume control). If I never switch from this HDMI input and let the amp change source, everything is fine.

So I really can't see myself ever bothering with the apps on the TV. I survived almost ten years with the Aurea having nothing and can probably continue for another ten!

Milhouse    355

LOL: https://twitter.com/darrencauthon/status/813096722989809665

LG won't provide a factory reset, but will send out an engineer at a cost of $340.

(And yes, LG no longer make Android based TVs - apparently this is one of the original Google TV based models, when Google TV was still a thing. I guess LG never bothered to provide any security updates).

I can't believe that air gapping the TV will now be a requirement for those that don't want this "Smart" shite.

MeKeV    98

Lg told him how to reset it I the end.

More a sign of what happens when people who don't know what they're doing want FREE MOOVEEZ

jonmorris    184

LG has been doing a fine job of gradually making my TV useless for well over a year now. Now my parents are getting the same messages to say 'service x is going soon' on their LG TV, which I noticed when we were there for Christmas.

What a joke. Their TV is getting on for two years old now, maybe a bit more, but it is a top spec model that should last another five or ten years with ease. By then I doubt there will be anything left when you press menu/home!