MadDog

Amazon Echo UK Release

MeKeV    96

I've gone for a Dot. Does the same, but with a crappy speaker instead of the big speaker in the big one.

You can bluetooth or cable it to existing speakers if you want to.

It's due later than the Echo, but I'm not that desperate a voice activate speaker, I can wait a few extra weeks.

MadDog    464

It used to be that the Dot didn't work without an echo on the network, you could only order a Dot via Alexia - I guess they've scrapped that limit now

EDIT: just noticed that Dot is always listening too, I'm sure that's new too

I've pre-ordered an Echo - will wait until 4th October for the Google Home announcement.  I'm expecting US only and launch delayed until December-ish.  If so then I may get a dot for the bedroom

Jamz    10

Anyone else had their Echo turn up?  Mines been delayed by up to 2 days according to amazon customer services even though there's nothing on my tracking info to say that.

MadDog    464

Mine arrived whilst I was away on my holiday - easy peesy to set up

When it works it's good, but she wakes to her name and then a lot of the time ignores my commands

My 3yr old thinks it's great fun - even if he doesn't exactly understand the answers sometimes.  Also there is no IFTTT support in the UK (plus no UK support for Harmony hub either) which is annoying

I want to see what what google announce tomorrow and when it's released over here before I commit

normal    345

Is the problem a hardware one then? Seems odd to have different hardware? Is it linked to the account? ie. US accounts have these features enabled?

MeKeV    96

Wow, the Dot is loads smaller than I was expecting!

Spotify integration works perfectly. Within an hour my lamps are fully voice controlled and I can turn my heating on and off!

Still a bit of fiddling to do to get specfic thermostat temps set, but shouldnt be too much of a problem.

I think I'll buy another, 1 upstairs one down.

normal    345

I'm still having problems getting alexa to use yonomi to control my harmony hub. I must admit I'm a bit annoyed about how it's been rolled out in the UK. What exactly causes the problem when using outside the US?

RobM    195

What practical things are people doing with these devices? Do you all use them in your day-to-day lives, or is it something fun to experiment with?

MeKeV    96

Can you use the Dot as a Wifi Speaker? Can i yell at it to play my spotify playlist in the same way i can with the echo?

Spotify and Tunein Radio stations work fine out of the dot's speaker. Not good at high volume, but decent enough for mid volume background sound or bedroom use.

What practical things are people doing with these devices? Do you all use them in your day-to-day lives, or is it something fun to experiment with?

Mostly fun to play with, but adding things to a calendar, setting off a playlist or changing radio stations is all pretty useful despite easily living without it. Lights and heating from the couch/bed is nice too.

normal    345

I don't have any light or heating controls, but use it to voice activate music and radio # dictate shopping lists as I need stuff and I want to voice control my AV system with Harmony hub. And here's a load of IFTTT recipes https://ifttt.com/amazon_alexa

MadDog    464

I'm still having problems getting alexa to use yonomi to control my harmony hub. I must admit I'm a bit annoyed about how it's been rolled out in the UK. What exactly causes the problem when using outside the US?

Working for me - discovered that my Harmony Hub software was VERY out of date and had to be updated first (and that was a HUGE battle too)

It does appear that there are reserved words - XBMC, Kodi and Chromecast don't seem to work as activities

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead