normal

The Euro 2016 Thread

Milhouse    355

Well done Wales, setting up an interesting Bale vs Ronaldo encounter with Boretugal. Shame Wales will be be missing Ramsey, that could be a crucial loss - he's been one of their best players.

As for Belgium... they have some great players, some shocking players, and an awful manager who doesn't seem to have a clue and must surely quit.

Felliani is frankly an embarrassment to football at times, as he was tonight. While R. Lukaku - who claimed "I'm one of the best strikers in the world and I'll prove it" - failed to prove it, comprehensively. While his brother at left back had a shocker - Belgium must have one of the worst defences at Euro 2016. And the ginger kid? CFC did the right thing selling him. As for Thibaut, maybe he'll come back a bit more humble, but I doubt it.

Rvn    103

True Ramsay could be a big loss. It will be interesting to see what rabbit Coleman pulls out of his hat to sort that out. Belgium were missing Vertonghen and Kompany, but that defence was awful. As bad as England's against Iceland. They didn't help Courtois so I'd be surprised if he didn't blame them! In his favour he did make a few good saves.

Milhouse    355

Yeah, Thibaut wasn't at fault for any of the goals (unlike, say, Hart) and was saddled with a rubbish defence but he does have a very big head (literally, and figuratively) and could do with being taken down a peg or two. I'm sure he'll have something to say about who was to blame for Belgium losing, he seems to be quite a divisive character unfortunately.

Belgium did have a young and inexperienced defence but the manager picked the squad and had few options once the squad suffered a couple of injuries, for that he only has himself to blame.

normal    345

Time after time, we see what teams with real spirit and togetherness can achieve. Well done Wales

Rvn    103

It's amazing how that passes the FA and its managers by again and again. Let's see if they learn anything. Hopefully they don't appoint someone like Shearer as manager without say Hoddle advising him on tactics.

Rvn    103

Oh well, Wales gave it their best shot, but a couple of defensive errors handed Portugal the match. A shame for Ramsay that he missed the match and he was a big miss, but I hope he isn't made a scapegoat by the media. I think he was Wales's best player this tournament.

Milhouse    355

Great header from Ronaldo, but hope to God they don't win the Final - they've really not shown much quality throughout this tournament. Shame about Wales as they just weren't at the races tonight, maybe it was the lack of Ramsey linking up the play, but they've done fantastically well to get as far as they did. Though it does make me laugh that the media are already calling them a "European force in football", I mean please.

Rvn    103

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5nv7vrud_MI do hope club fans don't try and copy this... absolutely hate it when certain clubs copy chants and try to claim them as their own ("We'll be coming" sung by Scouse fans makes my blood boil - get your own chants!!)

It's bound to happen as its too good a chant to not use.

RobM    195

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5nv7vrud_MI do hope club fans don't try and copy this... absolutely hate it when certain clubs copy chants and try to claim them as their own ("We'll be coming" sung by Scouse fans makes my blood boil - get your own chants!!)

Couldn't agree more! Bloody Spud's signing a Saints song is the worst though!

normal    345

I prefer the simple 'Yids' chant, but apparently singing about Saints is ok, whilst Yids isn't ..... ;)

RobM    195

Sing about whatever the heck you like as far as I'm concerned, so long as it's your own song! You're getting as bad as Liverpool, you love us so much you've gone for our song, manager, players, head of recruitment... you even took our PA guy for the half-time entertainment!

Milhouse    355

Someone, probably the French, was doing the "Huh" last night. The thing is, when the Iceland fans did it, it was good because it was original. Now that someone else is doing it, it's tragic, precisely because it's not original - they're just a lame copy. I hope to God nobody tries to start it at Stamford Bridge, I suspect they'll be left on their own looking like a right wally. The only "Huh" I wanna hear at SB is Edwin Starr over the PA... What is it good for...! :)

Anyway back to the football...can't believe the Germans lost! Easily the better team, the French parked two busses and played rope-a-dope football. Although the German finishing was pretty bad. And Kimmisch, at fault for the second goal, is a poor winger - reminded me of Jesper Gronkjaer who often failed to beat the first man with his crosses, just like Kimmisch.

I'm not expecting France vs. Boretugal to be a very entertaining Final. 0-0, still goalless after extra time, then penalties. How Portugal made it into this Final I really don't know, the way the final rounds shaped up really suited Portugal with Spain, France, Italy and Germany all playing each other.

Rvn    103

I didn't expect the French defence to resist the German offensive so well. Sure, they were helped a little by poor German finishing in the absence of Gomez, but Germany had enough quality to at least score. I'd like Ronaldo (and Nani) to win a tournament with Portugal, but a French win would be magnifique!

Winterman    33

Absolutely delighted for Portugal and Ronaldo. Yes, Portugal were largely trash in this tournament and he wasn't anywhere near his epic best but when it mattered, they summoned teamwork and dedication (which he was a big part of) and went all the way.