kradcliffe

BT really are taking the piss

neuty    24

I had the most appalling service from EE and told them to stick it. So glad to leave them. I spent 3 1/2 months with no phone or internet when I moved house.

Even after I got it working they then chose to continue charging me full price when I was told I would get 3 months free. They also charged me while I had no phone or internet.

Promise after promise and appalled when each time I called I had to explain it all over again. EE arranged 7 Openreach visits and all were wrong.

I even had to change my landline number as EE cocked up on the last time and if I didn't take the new number it would of been another wasted appointment.

I also lost 3 days off work waiting and trying to sort out.

Carl.

Milhouse    355

I never use the vendor supplied modem/router (although I did for a few days with Sky, just to confirm it made no difference). To be fair, the ex-Be/O2 support staff deployed on the Sky Unlimited Pro (whatever they called it) support lines were actually very good (and clearly had their hands tied working for Sky, which offered a far less customisable service than Be). The problem was the crap equipment Sky installed in the exchange, judging by the vast number of ADSL errors (SuperFrame and Uncorrected RS errors) that weren't there with O2, and disappeared again after switching from Sky to BT.

I've been with Sky for TV for at least 10 years so it will be interesting to see if they make me any offers. Last year I cancelled Sky Movies as I realised I'd only ever watched maybe 2-3 movies in all the years I'd been paying for it, although it took over 2 years to actually cancel it as each time I called to cancel they gave it to me free for another 9 months! On the fourth cancel attempt I stuck to my guns and told them to end it. Can't see that happening with Sport, unfortunately...

jonmorris    184

I would have considered Sky but it seemed quite a hassle to use a different router. On EE it is dead easy and I am using my Asus router that with the latest firmware offers just about every possible customisation.

Rvn    103

My favourite ADSL provider was PlusNet, the rest have been just ok. Virgin cable was my best experience though and as soon as fibre is available in my building I'll pay the small extra premium for that.

Milhouse    355

My ADSL errors before/after BT - guess when I switched from Sky to BT :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks like I had a higher than usual rate of RS Uncorrected errors on BT during April, which would explain the recent resync (uncorrected rate is now back to normal). The big SuperFrame spikes were router reboots (Oct/Nov) and line resyncs (Jan/Mar).

Before O2 I was with Zen, who where (maybe still are) very good - a bit pricey though.

Unfortunately I'm on an Exchange Only Line (direct piece of string between my home and the exchange) so no chance of fibre (FTTC) for me. My only other option would be to switch to Virgin, which doesn't really appeal.

Rvn    103

The only drawback with Virgin cable was the router had to be connected directly to their set top box. The service was amazing. Super fast and reliable.

normal    346

Do Virgin still have awful traffic management policies? They used to throttle my connection all the time

Rvn    103

On cable? I never noticed any throttling, but I'm going back 5 years!

MeKeV    98

I got a call from Vodafone recently and as a 'Red' mobile customer they actually offered me a really good deal on landline and fibre, I was all ready to sign up until I found they only allow use of their provided router. Even if it was really good I wouldn't accept that, but it also looks a bit junk too. So I've stuck with plusnet (who have been great, I was only tempted by the voda savings)

neuty    24

I'm now with BT and can anyone recommend a good router to use instead of the supplied one?

Not sure I would benefit as I have most things wired. Handy living in a bungalow  :D

Carl.

kradcliffe    153

I have the TPLink N600 which is a few years old now but excellent.

It has 4 LAN ports at the back, one of which goes to a switch upstairs to provide another 4 wired ports. All of our gear apart from the laptops is hard wired.

Wifi doesn't work well in our house as it is pink granite and the radiation throws it off. On the upside, burgers cook themselves if left out for ten minutes.

RobM    195

I'm now with BT and can anyone recommend a good router to use instead of the supplied one?

Not sure I would benefit as I have most things wired. Handy living in a bungalow  :D

Carl.

I've read mixed things about the more recent Home Hubs, with some people finding them brilliant and a solid performer and others having no end of troubles. I'd be tempted to give it a go first and only replace if you're in the unlucky group who come to hate it!

But FWIW, I bought my parents a TPLink AC router (forget the exact model, very new though) and it has been superb. I'll buy one myself when my existing Asus dies (which is also very good, just a touch older).

MeKeV    98

I've had tp-link and asus in the past, but now I'm a big fan of the Ubiquiti Edgerouter/Unifi stuff.

It's funny that the all in ones boxes are supposed to be for convenience, but I've found having the wifi point separate from the router is so much more convenient/effective.

The wifi on my Unifi-AC-Lite is rock solid. And the convenience of it being separate from the router/phone point has allowed me to mount it almost exactly in the middle of my house, so coverage is 100%, even 5ghz in the garden.

neuty    24

Cheers All,

Good point Rob about giving it a go. It does seem reliable at the moment. I have just had the free increase and now getting 47mb DL and I think it was about 9 or 10 mb upload. Pretty pleased with that.

As I am in a bungalow I have the chance to move my hub to an almost central position so getting maximum wifi.

I do have a decent oldish TPlink router, but would suspect that the BT hub is better all round as its newer. 

Carl.

Milhouse    355

Don't forget the supplied BT Hub is more than a router, it's the modem too so if you wanted to replace it you'd need to find a combined ADSL2+ modem/router which dramatically reduces your options. Or possibly a separate ADSL2+ modem with whatever third-party router/access point of your choice, but a 2-box solution is usually more difficult to configure. There might also be a way to run the BT Hub in a modem-only mode - that was possible with the O2/BeBox, not that I ever used it - but to be honest if you're going to resort to this you'd have to have a really good reason not to use the BT Hub as intended.

Mine is a combined ADSL2+ modem/router, Netgear DGND4000, about 4 years old now and unlikely to be on sale anywhere apart from eBay. I bought it while with O2 after my Linksys WRT610N died, and the Westell 6100 ADSL modem I'd been using it with a bit long in the tooth (even though it supported ADSL2+). Plus I wanted an easier life - 2-box solutions are so much more of a faff.

I've been totally happy with the DGND4000 though, and any missing features such as ACK prioritisation (essential to make useable a 20Mbps down/1Mbps up Sky connection that lost all ability to download anything whenever uploading), SNMP and traffic shaping, I added, thanks to open source/GPL compliant firmware. Cacti is running on a Raspberry Pi 3.