kradcliffe

Seriously unimpressed with Vodafone

kradcliffe    153

Since signing up over a week ago it has all been a bit confusing. As part of my plan I get 6 months Spotify included. I was sent a link to activate the 6 months free but because I already had premium I had to cancel that then reapply again.

I went in this morning using the link and signed up, then got a text telling me it was £9.99 a month. On querying this, I was told I used the wrong link to sign up and they would send another one for the 6 month free and cancel the wrong subscription. This doesn't seem to have been done and I can't use the promotion because I already have premium (again)!

On top of this their website has dead links all over the place, and the My Vodafone section wouldn't accept my details this morning. I tried changing my password and that wouldn't sign in either. I contacted chat who reset it again and still it wouldn't work. The whole My Vodafone site went off for hours and took the chat down with it.

I have probably spent over 2 hours on chat today and I'm no further forward. It shouldn't be this difficult, should it?

Oh ..... and they don't reply to tweets either!

SteveyAsp    41

It's why earlier in the year I was glad that I had a cooling off period, I cancelled after 2 days due to the issues with them.

Their CS is worse than Three ever was when it was at it's worst

kradcliffe    153

Thing is the actual phone service seems quite good, mind you after being with Three for 4 years anything must be better.

It's really just the Spotify issue that's caused problems and I don't want to cancel because of that. Guess I will just see what happens and argue it out with them later.

Oh, and Three have completely screwed up my final billing. I have tried and failed to figure it out. They have also deactivated my access to My Three so I'm going to have to call them. that will be fun!

Rvn    103

Very true - I find it depends on the degree of stupidity at the other end of the phone, whichever company I'm contacting. I suspect it's a mix of poor training/deliberately obtuse responses and thickos.

mcgrad    74

My employer has switched to voda for mobile services.  Never thought there could be a provider with worse coverage is worse than 02. Trying to hold a conversation as you drive is nothing short of disconnect after constant disconnect.

RobM    195

My employer has switched to voda for mobile services.  Never thought there could be a provider with worse coverage is worse than 02. Trying to hold a conversation as you drive is nothing short of disconnect after constant disconnect.

Vodafone and O2 share towers now, so coverage in most places (all that have been merged) should be largely the same for voice. 

jonmorris    184

You need to cancel your Spotify service and then reactivate it with the code/link from Vodafone at that point, otherwise you can't set it up.

The site was a bit of a mess when I tried, but I did manage to find that out from a FAQ page. My date for the cancellation is the 6th December I think, and also I don't think you lose your playlists or anything - just temporary loss of access until the new sub is set up.

I was with Vodafone all day yesterday, I should have brought it up.

http://jmcomms.com/2015/11/27/vodafone-hq-visit-network-management-handset-testing-and-a-look-to-the-future/

kradcliffe    153

I think the issue is that the link I got signed me in to the pay subscription only and not the one with 6 months free. I have cancelled the pay one but I think it will run for 30 days then I can use the link for the free 6 months. It's not very clear at all. Other than that I'm impressed with VF from a signal point of view. My mobile is now faster than my fixed line broadband ;)

I'm finding the fallback to 2g kinda strange, because on Three it was 3g or nothing.... And I can use my Nokia 9110i again! 

Excellent blog on your visit yesterday BTW. Let's normal people see what really goes on behind the scenes. 

satsuma    178

Whichever you look at it EE has the largest quantity of spectrum and with BT will have best access to fibre backhaul. Everyone else will be second tier at best.

normal    346

I agree, and yet until the offer decent CS and tariffs, I'm not even remotely interested. I wish they'd shut all the shops around Sheffield for example. Not once found a member of staff who deserves a job...

satsuma    178

Once the merger goes through, they will start to look at integration.

That will take at least 12-18 months during which time they may well start promoting the one-stop-comms-shop message but not have the integration behind the scenes to execute very well. So I wouldn't expect a massive improvement in CS - although I no particular axe to grind with EE on that front, my experience has been OK.

This deal will eventually end up hurting the consumer in terms of choice. It's been waved through under government (and City) pressure to create a FMC UK behemoth for all the wrong reasons. Same is/will happen with FT in France and Deutsche in Germany.

BT/EE will have an almost monopolistic level of dominance even with a Virgin Media fibre optic network expansion and potential tie-up with VF.

If we're going to have this kind of anti-competitive sh1t going on why not end the pretence, semi-nationalise comms, and let private companies wholesale the capacity on equal terms. They could then all differentiate on service offerings with consumers guaranteed decent connectivity.

kradcliffe    153

Just watched the article on Watchdog about Vodafone this week. When you sign up to Euro Traveller it disables the charging cap.

So say you have 500mb a month and are near the limit when you go on holiday, if you go over when you are away they can then charge you at a horrendous rate and there's no cap to protect you.

Not nice!

RobM    195

Just watched the article on Watchdog about Vodafone this week. When you sign up to Euro Traveller it disables the charging cap.

So say you have 500mb a month and are near the limit when you go on holiday, if you go over when you are away they can then charge you at a horrendous rate and there's no cap to protect you.

Not nice!

Yeah.. yeah.. but..... it quite clearly tells you this on page 92, line 402 of section 6, paragraph 17 of the T&C's you signed up to via the app. So it's your fault for not reading.

(I've clearly made this up, don't check that bit of the T&C's and tell me I'm wrong)

jonmorris    184

I was warned when I signed up about going over my allowance abroad and told to set the limit on my handset. It's a shame it doesn't hard cap automatically, but I am not too worried as I think I can keep track of my usage.

Remind me that I said this if/when I get a huge bill after my trip abroad for Christmas!!

kradcliffe    153

Yeah, it's fine for people like us but if you are someone who doesn't know how much data you have used in relation to your tariff it could be nasty, especially if you are on holiday and inadvertently use Spotify for example or let your kid watch videos on Youtube.

I can't see why they can't just send a message when your limit runs out (abroad or not) advising any data from that point is chargeable. The cynic in me says they want people to go over so they get charged.

I generally use under 2gb but I have a 4gb tariff which gives a bit of space.

MadDog    464

So, considering porting my personal number into my work contract (my work number is currently on a permanent divert to my personal number)

Currently with Three and work use Vodafone and they will give me unlimited texts, calls and 4gb data

Am I mad?

satsuma    178

No. 

i think you'll see some genuine improvements in VF's overall network performance by the summer - they've invested significant money in the project and it's supposed to deliver by then.

Obviously can't vouch for inidvidual customers / areas.

normal    346

Not a great data allowance. It'd cramp my style. Then there's the CS issues.....

ferret1979    9

If you replace your business number with your private number, you won't be able to cancel the divert and avoid work calls.

You would also have to give out your personal number to work colleagues.

Dave    70

Another negative is the fact you stand a good chance of losing your number if you were to leave your employer. How important is the number to you?

RobM    195

Many companies will let you port the number back out again, but do get that agreed up-front.