Milhouse

ZNAPS and ZapTips adapters

Milhouse    355

It's not wireless charging, but maybe the next best thing for Qi-less devices...

http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/10/16/7-magnetic-charging-micro-usb-adapter-and-cable-work-like-znaps/

Should be generally available in November, and not terribly expensive so maybe worth a punt... one major negative though, each cable adapter won't work with the other device adapters, so a Lightning cable adapter won't charge a USB phone (and vice versa) - depending on circumstances this may or may not be a deal breaker.

Or there's this alternative, ZapTips:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zaptip-the-world-s-first-magnetic-super-charger

This has the advantage over ZNAPS of using the same cable for both MicroUSB and Lightning device adapters, which could be handy in multi-device households (charge that Android tablet with the same cable Dad uses for his iPhone etc.).

Apparently ZapTips have also improved the appearance of their cable and device adapters (making them smaller), and added sync support, no doubt in response to ZNAPS. A cable adapter is also on the cards, as is USB-C support. And they glow in the dark!!!!!!1111!!!

Should be shipping in November/December.

I think if ZapTips can produce a cable adapter (I've got a ton of cables already, often longer than 1m which is the only length they're currently offering), the ability to use the same cable/cable adapter to charge both USB and Lightning devices will be a big win.

Could be nice "stocking filler" Christmas presents if they're available in time - I could see myself buying one for myself plus a bunch more for my family.

Although with no website to speak of I can't help wonder if ZapTips will turn out to be just another crowd funding scam.

normal    345

Interesting idea familiar to all macbook users, but two things bother me. Firstly, you need to attach them the correct way round in order to charge and sync, so not quite as easy to use as its first seems. Also, the adaptor will also probably play havoc with most phone cases, except silicon ones.

Milhouse    355

They're both reversible. And they claim to be small enough to fit most cases - basically any case without a cover over the charging socket should work (if the hole in the case is big enough for the charging plug then it should be big enough for the adapter, as it's practically the same size).

normal    345

From what I've read, they're reversible for charging, but not data. Not sure if applies to both or not.

I have this cable i’m using it with my redmi note 2 and a lenovo tab a7 10 without any probleme
For the charge the cable is réversible but for data you must keep the led on top

Read more: http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/10/16/7-magnetic-charging-micro-usb-adapter-and-cable-work-like-znaps/#ixzz3p6K5tqqv

Milhouse    355

Ah right, possibly. Although not ideal, I imagine most people would sync far less often than charge, so maybe not such a big deal... I almost always sync over WiFi these days. I wonder if the same restriction applies to the ZapTip - the pins look symmetrical, although the renders might not actually reflect the updated design now that sync support has been added.

MadDog    464

Trouble is that I've used the sony magnetic chargers and they are too easy to knock and disconnect - I even tried more 3rd party ones with more powerful magnets and still the same thing

I'm not convinced

Milhouse    355

Trouble is that I've used the sony magnetic chargers and they are too easy to knock and disconnect - I even tried more 3rd party ones with more powerful magnets and still the same thing

Not sure if that's really a negative - if the device is on a table surely you want easy disconnection? As long as the connector doesn't fall off due to the weight of the cable I can't see a weak connection being a problem at all.ZapTip just announced they've added USB-C support (although it's a new campaign which seems to have annoyed existing backers). One cable for all port types. Hurry up and take my money.

MadDog    464

Not sure if that's really a negative - if the device is on a table surely you want easy disconnection? As long as the connector doesn't fall off due to the weight of the cable I can't see a weak connection being a problem at all.

On the sony, the slightest knock and it was off-charge - most annoying

Milhouse    355

Turns out the ZapTip USB-C cable isn't going to be compatible with the MicroUSB/Lightning connectors, which is a real bummer/mistake.

normal    345

Thanks for the update Milhouse. I must admit, if all your feedback remains positive, then I may well buy some too.

Milhouse    355

Finally got to hand the Lightning versions over to my brother this afternoon. He was off to the cinema to watch Civil War with his son so he left his iPhone 6-something-or-other with me.

I left it charging from a USB power adapter (2Amp Hewlett-Packard) and it went from 68% to full charge in about 45 minutes or so (wasn't really paying it much attention).

It's also being seen by a PC, so data appears to be working too.

tl;dr: It all works. Thumbs up. :)

kradcliffe    152

I have ordered a couple of the SweetLF Micro USB cables and connectors. Due from Amazon on Tuesday so I will let you know how I get on when they arrive.

hal    120

Thanks for this MH. I was tempted but I've seen so many conflicting reviews with some brands talking of bait n switch tactics (cheap, poorly made plastic versions and not braided cables as promised; stopped working after a short while etc.)

Now tempted again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeKeV    96

What's the benefit of the magnet one over the normal but reversible one they're selling on that same page?

Am I the only one who has very little issue plugging in a micro usb charger?

What I do want, but can't seem to find is a dock/wall plug all in one. So my phone is sat tidy, upright and out of the way. Particularly useful in the kitchen for controlling the music and following recipes without being g in any wet worktop danger or running flat.

Milhouse    355

What's the benefit of the magnet one over the normal but reversible one they're selling on that same page?

Two totally different products. The cable with reversible plugs just means you can connect it ether way up (at either end). Given the design of USB sockets (both micro and full size) this most likely means the plugs are less robust than normal as the internals of the plugs need to be flexible rather than rigid in order to be reversible. Personally I wouldn't go near this as the USB sockets are not designed to accept a reversible plug, and indeed several of the SweetLF reversible cable reviews on Amazon are less than glowing (the microUSB end seems to be more prone to failure or temperamental behaviour).

The magnetic cables are just that. Also reversible (although only at the magnetic microUSB/Lightning end). Click on, pull off. Easy to use, no risk of socket damage, and (so far) reliable.

Am I the only one who has very little issue plugging in a micro usb charger?

Quite possibly, otherwise reversible USB and mag-safe connectors wouldn't exist. The big deal about USB-C is that it's reversible, addressing one of the major flaws inherent in previous USB socket designs. Few people would admit the USB socket/plug (full size, mini or micro) is a good design and without usability issues. Given the choice I suspect most people would rather use a more convenient socket/plug design than microUSB.

For me, there are a few reasons why I don't like having to use a plug-in cable to charge (whether it be USB or not), and why I prefer wireless charging or - as a compromise - mag-safe style connectors:

[*]I've dropped numerous phones while charging on a cable after I've received a call and half-asleep (or absent mindedly) tried to pick up the phone which then flies out of my hand when the cable reaches its maximum extent

[*]It avoids wear & tear on micro USB sockets

[*]Putting a phone on charge with a wireless or magnetic charger now takes a nanosecond and barely a thought instead of (often in the dark) fumbling around for a few seconds with a plug that fits only one way (the time taken isn't really the issue - though it is proportional to the quantity of alcohol in my system - it's the frustration from trying to plug the cable into a small, keyed socket and typically getting it right on the third* attempt)

[*]Plopping the phone down on the bedside table after taking a call and (if I'm lucky) hearing it automatically "click" on to the magnetic charge cable without even looking/trying is quite satisfying...

[*]Magnetic charge connectors are cool (though wireless charging is even cooler) :)

[*]Yep, I'm lazy/easily impressed, but ultimately I despise USB connectors

[*]Finally, these magnetic cables are pretty low-cost (and quite decent quality in the case of SweetLF) so it's not exactly a huge investment for the potential convenience they bring

* You try to plug-in the USB cable and it doesn't fit, you flip the plug over and it still doesn't fit so you flip it back and now it fits! If there's a person that claims they can insert a USB cable 100% reliably - first time every time, usually by touch alone, or in dim lighting - then they're either super-human, or a liar! :)

mcgrad    74

i've purchased a couple of these and have to say the cables are of a very good quality.

For me, the biggest benefit has been charging the pone in the car. The magnets are powerful for their small size, and easily snap together when i put the phone on the passenger seat.

kradcliffe    152

Just received the SweetLF adapters and they are superb. Cable is nice quality and the adapter fits the bottom of the S7 Edge nice and tight.

Good satisfying click from the magnets and a nice blue LED when charging.

Very nice indeed. I have more pics but the forum won't let me upload them.

post-27-0-77519800-1464689444_thumb.jpg

RobM    195

Looks like your phone as haemorrhoids though. Spoils a nice, sleek design by having a different coloured lump dangling out of its backside.

The cable looks superb though!

Milhouse    355

Yes, it looks quite chunky on a nude phone, but stick that phone in a typical case and you'll hardly see the connector at all. If you're gonna ruin the sleek look of the phone by using a case, you're unlikely to make it any worse by adding this connector. I don't have a case on my Jolla (cases aren't really an option) and don't find the sticky-out connector a problem - it's actually a bit of an advantage as I can now more easily tell which end is up while it's in my pocket....

kradcliffe    152

Bit of feedback after a couple of weeks use. 

These SweetLF adapters aren't that great. Main issue is that they don't now connect first time and need to be coaxed to get a connection (one has been dodgy since day one). Also I'm finding the magnetic pull is not strong enough so as soon as you lift up the phone from a surface it disconnects.  

I'm just going back to MicroUSB as they are more hassle to get working than just having to plug a cable in.