Rvn

Windows 10

38 posts in this topic

Here's the "official" MS way to manage Windows Update on a standalone machine:

https://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/62516-Windows-10-Tweaks-amp-Fixes/page8?p=1083501#post1083501

(if the computers are part of an Active Directory domain this can be set at the OU / domain level as well)

Thanks

i need to create a login to see the replies, will do that when I can.

Oh yeah, possibly. Sorry, I didn't even think about that...

I'm really interested in Microsoft's launch of Windows 10 (S?)  Cloud . It'll be interesting to see how they rival Chrome OS, and what 'WindowsBooks' will look like.

Anyone with any insight?

1 hour ago, normal said:

I'm really interested in Microsoft's launch of Windows 10 (S?)  Cloud . It'll be interesting to see how they rival Chrome OS, and what 'WindowsBooks' will look like.

Anyone with any insight?

There's a couple of posts on Engadget about it. The insiders channel has been remarkably quiet regarding any pre-anouncement stuff, but expect more details to come out at the event today

My hope for a stripped back version would be that I can breathe a bit of life back into my old netbook, but that may be wishful thinking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems a bit 'meh' to me. Windows 10 where you can only load stuff through Microsoft's Apps store. I guess the first round of netbooks are looking pretty horrible from what I've seen, and Microsoft's new Surface seems like a beautiful white elephant. Expensive, and with the strangest mix of sockets. Why USB 3.0, a separate power socket and a display socket? It makes the Macbook seem sensible FFS. Looks like all the budget was blown on the display.

The other really odd thing is that this isn't freeware. They're making you buy stuff through their store, and they'll even make you buy software updates after the first year.

You can upgrade to W10 Pro for free in 1st year, or $49 afterwards.

Can't do that with a Chronebook.

Is that what they mean by software upgrade?

1 hour ago, normal said:

Seems a bit 'meh' to me. Windows 10 where you can only load stuff through Microsoft's Apps store.

... unless you upgrade to W10 Pro for free (or $49 after the first year). Then you can load anything.

1 hour ago, normal said:

The other really odd thing is that this isn't freeware. They're making you buy stuff through their store, and they'll even make you buy software updates after the first year.

Not true. Windows updates continue to be free.

19 minutes ago, normal said:

Is that what they mean by software upgrade?

Yes. Upgrade, not update as you posted above.

It looks like a solid MBA/Chromebook alternative, with the advantage of offering a more controlled & secure environment than either. I can see it being popular in some business scenarios as well as education.

1 person likes this

I remember a version of Windows that ran only on ARM hardware, and only allowed you to install apps from the Windows Store (empty then, just as it is now). That version worked out really well the last time... And by the way, users will be forced to use Edge and Bing with Windows 10S on their $1000 Surface laptop as there are no other browsers in the Windows Store (so that Microsoft can slurp all your data). Though for $50 more users can install everything and actually make it useful, so maybe it's a $1050 laptop by default?

Speaking of ARM, let's see what the reaction is to the Windows 10 on ARM hardware that is (apparently) due later this year, Windows Cloudbooks, based on Qualcomm silicon.

Perhaps if Windows 10S does gain some traction and helps to seed the Windows Store with UWP apps then there might be a market for ARM-based Windows Cloudbooks, but I wouldn't put money on it...

This isn't the same situation as Windows RT (Windows on ARM) had a few years ago. The store is not the dead hole it used to be. This actually makes sense (with one huge caveat)

For education, which is where this is aimed; it's very useful to be able to lock a machine down to only loading apps from the Store - that's especially useful as you can block access to the "normal" store and instead only allow apps that you specify, in a "Business Store". If you use an MDM solution, you can also package up Win32 apps (utilising continuum and a couple of other tricks) and make them available via your store; so for the intended market Windows 10 S seems to be quite a good idea.

The huge caveat is that (unless MS have fixed this in the last couple of months) you can't sign in to any Store with an Office365 account - you *have* to use a Microsoft account. Unfortunately, if you're in an educational or corporate environment and are offering Office365 as a service (as you will be with Windows 10 S); you need to use an Azure / AD / Office365 account, *NOT* a Microsoft account. Hence, every user ends up with two seemingly identical accounts, one of which the IT department can manage, one of which they can't...

Windows 10 on ARM already exists in the market place (albeit only 3 people are using it) - it's called Windows Mobile. And it actually works pretty darned well these days; it's a pity MS killed off their mobile division :(