Rvn

Windows 10

38 posts in this topic

It landed on my PC yesterday and so far it's so much better than previous versions. Email and calendar are better integrated with non Microsoft accounts and it's quick and easy to navigate. If only the installation process was quicker!

I had a LOT of pain trying to install on my Dell XPS tablet - ended up that I had to update my BIOS before it installed

Not had much time to fiddle much - but I'm happy with it!

I accidentally upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I hit the reschedule later button and somehow it started the installation process! So far, seems ok.

I took the plunge and upgraded my backup machine this afternoon. The upgrade process went smooth.

First thing is that it does not recognise the wireless adapter at all, it's not even in the device manager.

I just shut down and will go back to it at some point later!

Not quite sure.

Rolled back to 8.1 and it was still not there. so I had to mess about for nearly an hour fixing the problem.

That will be my last encounter with windows 10 ..... oh and the privacy thing .......

Agree that some of the privacy changes are annoying, but I wonder how people expect Cortana to work without passing personal data back to MS.

Agree that some of the privacy changes are annoying, but I wonder how people expect Cortana to work without passing personal data back to MS.

even when all that is turned off and privacy settings set to high data is sent back to Microsoft.  

Have updated 3 of my PCs/HTPCs and mates 2 brand new laptops to Win 10.

Very easy to update..

Windows 10, having been given away and forcibly installed on users PCs without their consent, is still installed on only 15% of machines... that's a awful lot of machines (many of them business machines, it has to be said) that have decided not to install Windows 10 even when it is "free".

Still sad when people loose there jobs. The more interesting question is can Microsoft be relevant in the mobile space? Software wise they seem to be gaining ground but its a long battle

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I thought I would revive an old thread as I still think it's relevant.

I look after some computers at a Heritage Railway, which are Windows 10, but only used once or twice a week.  Nearly every time they are booted up there's quite a few updates to be done, before the machine can be used.

What's the best way to manage these?  It would be nice if people could turn the machines on and just use them.  At one of our stations with a very poor broadband connection it was over 30 mins before the machine became usable.

They are normally turned off after use, is there a way to schedule automatic turn on and booting, then searching for available updates, installing them, and then turn the machine off again?

There's a number of ways of doing this ... a lot depends on how the machines are licensed and what other infrastructure you have in place.

(oh, and which railway is it?)

Firstly, what version of Win10 are the machines running? (release, 1505 or 1607) and which edition? (home, pro, enterprise, education)

Then, do you have the machines linked on a LAN or WAN or are they all standalone?

Hi Stu

i can't find out what versions of Windows are installed until next week when I'm next at the Railway.

It's a small line in Kent, The Spa Valley Railway.

What is it you do with these Windows machines, ie. what are they used for? Are they general purpose "office" PCs or something else such as media PCs (video playback etc.) - if the latter then there are likely to be many alternatives to Windows.

I've not been to the Spa Valley line (shame on me).

Milhouse, it may be that the other volunteers won't be comfortable with anything other than Windows ... certainly when I was running the Kew Bridge Steam Museum it was hard enough getting some of them to use a computer, let alone trying to teach them more than one system...

Hi Milhouse and Stu

They are general office machines, although I may expand the idea if successful to the computers that run the ticketing system.

Getting volunteers to do anything is difficult and if the machines take ages doing updates before they use them, they won't bother to use them or even worse just turn them off.

You will have to pop down for a look when we are open again.