normal

The iPhone 6s Thread

normal    346

As sure as apples are apples, silly season has started on speculation about the next iPhone, due roughly in September.

That trusted old bean Ming-Chi Kuo at KGI Securities has kicked off the season with his thoughts"

(1) Force Touch will be the biggest upgraded selling point, but also one of the main bottlenecks of the supply chain. Force Touch can enhance user experience due to more input methods and support of handwritten signatures, which is beneficial for expanding in the commercial market; 
(2) Screen will remain at 4.7 and 5.5 inches, with resolution the same as existing models. There will be no new 4-inch model; 
(3) There will be an additional casing color, rose gold, matching the rose gold Apple Watch Edition; 
(4) The camera will have a pixel upgrade, likely to 12 MP; 
(5) One microphone will be added near the speaker to enhance voice quality; 
(6) The A9 processor with upgraded 2GB LPDDR4 will be adopted; 
(7) The bending issue will be improved by using different casing materials and internal mechanical design changes; 
(8) If drop test issues can be resolved, the 5.5-inch model will have a limited number of units with sapphire cover lens; 
(9) The recognition rate of Touch ID will be improved further in a bid to promote Apple Pay; 
(10) Gesture control support; and 
(11) It’s expected that mass production will start in mid-to-late August. Total shipments will be 80-90mn in 2015, with a 2:1 ratio of 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models.

So Force Touch and a better camera will be the key new features. Oh, and less bendable....

RobM    195

Probably accurate given this is an 'S' update. Not sure I'll bother though, nothing there resolves any limitations or concerns I have with my 6+... but feel free to quote that when I'm posting about my new 6S+

satsuma    178

I'm reasonably confident that imaging solution will improve by more than just a MP upgrade. Significant improvements in sensor and image processing have been rumoured from good sources for some time.

satsuma    178

I think there's a very good chance there will be a C version - many of the more reliable pundits seem to think so.

iPhone 6 innards, 4 inch screen, plastic case?

satsuma    178

But the original 5C (at launch) was offered with higher memory configurations as well right? Noy just the current 8GB.

I don't think there will an 8GB option in a theoretical 6C - I assume entry level will be 16  and then a jump to 64GB as next option.

I wanted there to be USB-C in the new iPhones but I think Apple will delay that until next year.

RobM    195

The best thing about Apple offering USB-C would be the prevention of ever-thinner iPhones! USB-C is physically bigger than Lightning, so they can't keep on making the chassis thinner and may even have to make it thicker. Thicker phones = bigger batteries = everyone wins.

At least, that's my simpletons logic...

kradcliffe    153

Agreed, but they don't look as good and won't get dropped so often ..... repairs to dropped iphones must be a major money spinner for Apple

normal    346

I'd expect the 6C to have 16GB. The 6S will start at 32GB. It incentivises people to upgrade.

Haddock26    9

I'll be upgrading my 5s to 6s (not Plus) for Xmas, as standard regardless. However I'll have to go for 128gb :-( as I have 6gb left on my 64gb 5s, however I shall be trigger happy in Canada. So come Xmas my 5s will be full.

But it'll be so expensive eugh.

I doubt a 6C will come in 128gb will it?!

Ohh but I think in comparison to iPhone 6 128gb between over there and here is £577.40 and £699. Treat. (I've proceeded as far as I can go and they haven't shoved on a hidden tax, so tax must be included).

normal    346

Just remember that US/Canada stock has different bands than an EU one, check those and which networks you use here, otherwise you might have a problem.

(obviously, make sure you buy direct from Apple to make sure it's unlocked, but you may still have repair problems in the UK)

Haddock26    9

Ok so these are what's not covered if I buy Canadian, only 4:

38 (TD 2600)

39 (TD 1900)

40 (TD 2300)

41 (TD 2500)

What does this mean? How will it effect UK coverage if I come home?

There's a big price difference. UK being more expensive, plus shipping to get it from Sheffield to me.

hal    120

I'm thinking about trading in our iPhones to Apple this year. Apple use bright star to deal with the trade in and valuation. Has anyone got experience of them or this process?

hal    120

Thanks -- hadn't heard of that site. Will check it out.

The valuation doesn't seem high (about half price) but I would have hoped that it would offer apple-esque ease and certainty. Maybe not though if it's all run through another company.

I'm getting too old for eBay....

hal    120

Just having a look -- actually apple's prices are only about £10-20 different. So I suppose it boils down to the ease of experience and chances of a debate over valuation.

Rvn    103

Has anyone returned within 14 days of receiving an iPhone from Apple? Is it possible to try it and return if not happy?

normal    346

Yes. I've done it numerous times. Wasn't sure what colour to buy, so bought multiple handsets and returned the ones I didn't like. Never a problem.

hal    120

Yup. I have done this with several Apple products and they're totally cool and accommodating about it.