normal

The LG G4 Thread

normal    346

Given all the speculation over on the other LG thread, the G4 deserved it's own thread, especially as it launches tomorrow. ( and we won't be there....)

Mashable has used Evan Blass to leak the specs. (not that we hadn't already had a hat full), but here they are:

Android 5.1

Basically same weight and size as G3

Lots of options of backs, including some leather effect

Snapdragon 808 (LG doesn't trust the SD810 either after the Flex 2)

Improved QHD screen

3GB RAM

32GB Storage (expandable)

3000 mAh battery (removable)

16 megapixel OIS camera sensor

Laser guided focus

F1.8 lens

All the wifi and bluetooth and NFC bits you'd hope for.

Wireless charging

Posted Image

Shock    36

I may order one if it launches straight away and can be had for around £400 like the G3 at launch.

normal    346

All's not lost shock. Official prices are very flexible once they hit the high street, especially with LG handsets.

TheSuper    2

Seems like the retail price will be around £500 for the sim-free 32GB model?

I totally forgot the launch was tomorrow.

Looking forward to LG unveiling all its specs.

jonmorris    184

There can't be much to announce that isn't known, unless the covers aren't changeable and LG has opted to create some sort of Moto Maker service to let you customise the phone or spec in some way?

Otherwise it's just going to be a case of getting a device to check how fantastic the camera claims to be, and see if it is.

Shock    36

Chipset: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 808 Processorwith X10 LTE

■ Display: 5.5-inch Quad HD IPS Quantum Display (2560 x 1440, 538ppi)

■ Memory: 32GB eMMC ROM, 3GB LPDDR3 RAM / microSD slot

■ Camera: Rear 16MP with F1.8 Aperture / OIS 2.0 / Front 8MP

■ Battery: 3,000mAh (removable)

■ Operating System: Android 5.1 Lollipop

Size: 148.9 x 76.1 x 6.3 - 9.8mm

Weight: 155g

Network: 4G / LTE / HSPA+ 21 Mbps (3G)

■ Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 4.1LE / NFC / USB 2.0

Colors: [Ceramic] Metallic Gray / Ceramic White / Shiny Gold /

[Genuine Leather] Black / Brown / Red / Sky Blue / Beige / Yellow

■ Other: Manual Mode / Gesture Interval Shot / Quick Shot

The LG G4 will start its global roll-out on April 29 in Korea and will eventually be available on approximately 180 carriers worldwide. Prices and carrier availability will be announced locally in each market.

A number of sites are reporting that in Europe and US we won't see the G4 until late May or early June.

kradcliffe    152

Not stunning but a decent upgrade all the same. I have given my wife the G3 after lollipop upgrade and she really likes it.

jonmorris    184

Shame the price increase is real. LG obviously thinking 'if Samsung can', even though I'm not sure Samsung actually can.

Clearly Apple can, and does, and will - but if there's anything that's good news for Samsung it's that this will be as expensive on contract as a Galaxy S6, and people know and trust Samsung - so goodbye LG.

Shock    36

So £599 for a G4 that to me seems marginally better than a G3 that can be had for £250 from Amazon.

jonmorris    184

Wait, no wireless charging or QuickCharge support?? That's very concerning.

That's according to The Verge.

Rvn    103

Lol this gets better. Talk about a clear run for Samsung at the top of the Android tree. Surely the G4 will be dropping in price within a couple of months.

Wait, no wireless charging or QuickCharge support?? That's very concerning.That's according to The Verge.

I read wireless charging is supported but it will need a special back cover - just adding more cost into the equation.

Increased battery size appeals to me over the S6, particularly if the camera is any good but not dropping £600 on one ;)

RobM    195

I find it really, really hard to justify £600 Android phones these days. That money really doesn't buy you a big advantage over the mid-tier devices that have become so good, or the low-volume manufacturers (OnePlus, for instance) who are producing increasingly good devices.

normal    346

Strange thing is, after a product launch, I normally receive an email about it almost immediately from the manufacturer, and then multiple ones from retailers / networks that they'll be stocking it. I've received nothing yet.

jonmorris    184

I only got an email from TalkTalk saying they'll have the G4. Amazed LG has not actually sent anything.

It's so odd how LG has managed this event. Small venue, limited invited guests, no press releases (not even much in the run up to the launch, bar the UI stuff) and apparently from people I know who were there, very uncomfortable chairs to sit through a very long announcement to say 'It's the G3 with a better camera, screen and new leather covers'.

Perhaps LG has more of a limited budget, but how much does it cost to send out a press release? Is this some new ploy from LG to try and be more Apple like? As in, only a small select group of people can be in their club, and to be in it you must never say anything bad about anything they do?

jonmorris    184

This was the best I could do given I wasn't at the event and had to chase to get the press release. Did notice the Clove pricing though via Twitter, so that's already a cut in price a whole month before going on sale.

http://jmcomms.com/2015/04/29/lg-g4-improvements-so-subtle-youd-hardly-notice-without-a-closer-look/

The camera does look promising, but I'm currently using a £149.99 Honor 4X with a 13MP camera and finding that to be the best camera I've ever used in a budget phone. Ultimately, cameras are getting better across the board and so it's still hard to justify spending £500 or more. Until I see it in the flesh, I'll have to remain slightly sceptical.

jonmorris    184

Besides not inviting me, M&G and many other people, I noticed no coverage on the BBC website.

Don't tell me LG forgot to invite the Beeb along?