normal

News: Want a Big Zoom in a Compact Body?

normal    345

Lets be honest. We'd all like a big zoom lens at times to take a picture of something far away, but don't either want to carry some sort of SLR with a huge lens, or a hybrid camera which still won't fit in your pocket. That's where Sony's new HX90 and WX500 come in....

.Both the HX90 and WX500 come with a 18.2 megapixel CMOS sensor, 30x optical zoom, and rather helpfully, 5 axis image stabilisation to stop your Full HD videos being unviewable if you use the zoom lens. Both also have a 180 degree tiltable LCD screen.

The HX90 adds a few more control touches. It adds a control ring which can be used to make small adjustments such as focus and zoom. It also has a hi resolution viewfinder and GPS.

Sadly, we don't have the prices yet, but we'll keep you informed.

Posted Image

Click here to view the news

normal    345

We've been told that the HX90 will be available for £330 and the WX500 for £280.

RobM    195

Large optical zooms are, and will probably remain, the main differentiator from smartphone cameras. There is little other justification for one for most consumers these days, so it's good to see Sony pushing on in this regard.

satsuma    178

It would be great if they would could bolt an Android UI onot something like this so you could edit, comment and share directly from device over WiFi

satsuma    178

They've experimented but not really committed.

I think a smartphone OS, with perhaps an OEM camera-centric skin, is something that might help to increase sales of these cameras.

RobM    195

They've experimented but not really committed.

I think a smartphone OS, with perhaps an OEM camera-centric skin, is something that might help to increase sales of these cameras.

I agree. One of the main reasons I got frustrated with my old DSLR is the manual steps needed to copy, backup and share my photos from it when away somewhere. If I were a series 'tog, or even just really good at it, it would be worth the effort... but like most people, I'm distinctly average and only ever view photos on a screen of some sort, so a smartphone is plenty good enough and far more convenient.

But, I miss out on zoom lens' like this. If this camera had a the ability to backup, copy or share my photos easily, I'd be half tempted.

In fact, give me this, waterproof, running a smartphone OS with WiFi (that can be tethered via my phone) and I might part with some money :)

normal    345

If you cast you mind back, I visited Sony not so long ago. It was very clear that Sony Imaging and Sony Mobile were two completely separate divisions. Sony Mobile is being spun off into a separate company, so little chance of collaboration.

Milhouse    355

If you cast you mind back, I visited Sony not so long ago. It was very clear that Sony Imaging and Sony Mobile were two completely separate divisions. Sony Mobile is being spun off into a separate company, so little chance of collaboration.

Sony had all the pieces, but just seemed unable (or unwilling, through company politics) to use them. More idiotic technology management.They'll regret it when (as seems inevitable) Apple "reinvents the smartphone camera", the Android competition raise their camera game in response (Microsoft might even re-deploy some of that lovely Nokia IP), the arse falls out of the P&S camera market, and Sony are left with virtually nothing besides a frickin' games console.