normal

BT Mobile Launch Imminent

normal    345

The Telegraph is reporting that BT is about to launch it's virtual on network on EE in the next few days. This was already planned before their proposed takeover. It's likely to be a sim only plan and offered initially to existing BT customers as some sort of package with broadband etc.

The thing which troubles me is that it's also being reported that the pricing won't be as aggressive as initially planned as it doesn't want to pull the rug from under it's own feet with the takeover of EE and cut it's own future profits. It's being aimed as cheaper than O2, Vodafone and EE, but not as cheap as Three, Giff Gaff and Tesco.

jonmorris    184

BT has been supposedly doing some private trials (under NDA, but someone blabbed) that suggested Three-style truly unlimited 4G data was available - but I am not sure if that will make it to the offering, as it seems crazy that anyone would offer unlimited data these days. Even Three is trying to move away from it, starting with tethering and almost certainly ditching AYCE handset data at some point later this year or next.

BT does of course have its own 4G spectrum designed for broadband to be used by businesses and home users (with a fixed router) so that will be of more interest. Imagine if BT offered 4G data with 20/50/100GB allowances, at at a reasonable cost, as an alternative to FTTC broadband (namely for places that aren't yet enabled). I hope we hear about this soon too.

satsuma    178

My understanding is that they were going to offer 4G at 2.6 GHz through Femto (home, enterprise premises) and supplement through small cells wherever they have decent site access and fibre backhaul (a lot of places).

The challenge would be rolling out the small cell network, not a trivial exercise.

But hey maybe BT Mobile will do that and then 'Hey Presto' combine that with any investment EE made in their 2.6GHz rollout

Milhouse    355

Does anyone understand the challenge a cellular/broadband ISP faces in terms of offering a combined ADSL Router/Femto Cell box?

They could offer cheaper call costs via the Femto Cell to sweeten the deal, and longer term could increased Femto cell usage have a knock on effect in terms of spectrum usage, mast locations/numbers and even power output (fewer/lower power masts in areas with dense Femto cell populations?)

normal    345

I was simply thinking there might be enough capacity to use mobile internet in London....

jonmorris    184

Someone has said on DS that BT will have unlimited data for £35 a month. Might be totally made up, or be subject to a range of gotchas (FUP, traffic shaping/throttling, slower data after using a fixed amount etc) but it should make the announcement a bit more exciting. Oh, and it might be handset only and not include tethering - so totally unrelated to whatever it intends to do with home routers/femtocells (talking of which, has EE extended its EE Home service yet?).

As for capacity in London, EE disappointed me when I did testing earlier this month. It seems that it is already starting to suffer and in some cases 3G is now matching or even beating 4G (downlink at least). Rather too many 4G users now? Perhaps handsets need to have a way of choosing between 3G and 4G based on latency/speed?

satsuma    178

BT have announced a mobile service with some competitive tariffs if you are a BT Broadband customer.

£20/month for 12 months sim only gives you 20 GB data, unlimited calls and texts.

If punters actually use the full 20GB on cellular then I am pretty sure BT loses money... ^_^

SteveyAsp    41

I've just ordered one the 20gb deal, I don't have BT Broadband but at £25pm it could be a decent deal I'll see how it is during my 14 day cooling off period

PE7ER    13

You can have now 20GB SIM only deal from vodafone at £30 pm and that inc Spotify + tethering which probably represents better value.

SteveyAsp    41

I had that and sent it back after 2 days....They had trouble adding the Sky Sports and the 3 month test drive.

I started my number port when the sim arrived last Monday and when I'd cancelled on Wednesday evening they still didn't know why the port hadn't happened or when it was likely to.

In those 2 days I called them 4 times on each occasion got passed to 3 or 4 different people each call and still ended up with no resolution so there was no way I could stay in a year deal with that sort of shocking CS.

They actually made 3's CS look award winning.

I'm currently using EE and it does seem to give me the best network coverage wherever I travel to and I have 14 days to assess the BT service

kradcliffe    152

Still remains to be seen if this will be "proper" 4G or throttled to death. I guess only time will tell but I can guess in cells with high usage that EE customers will get the better data rates.

SteveyAsp    41

For me it's not all about the fastest speed....i keep seeing people posting speedtests as if it's some willy waving competition.

I'll be happy with a network that can give a constant speed to play media and enough data to last a month without going stupid or trying to use as much as humanly possible.

I'm going across to Bradford on a coach Sunday so that should give me a chance to give it a good road test

I've used Virgin before and tbh that wasn't bad but there was just no chance of them ever appearing to get 4G at least with BT looking as if they're going to own EE we might get quite a good package

PE7ER    13

They actually made 3's CS look award winning.

:)

Last time I went sim only way with voda it tooks them week to activate my sim...just in time for my cancellation request  :)

however I'm tempted again just to use 20GB deal  as a mobile broadband sim and save £10 on my spotify subscription. 

SteveyAsp    41

Interesting to read tonight that BT will also be using it's own purchased spectrum as well as EE.

There will be more knowledgeable people on this forum that will know more about that than me

jonmorris    184

Interesting to read tonight that BT will also be using it's own purchased spectrum as well as EE.There will be more knowledgeable people on this forum that will know more about that than me

I think as mentioned elsewhere, BT will use its own spectrum to supply some people home routers that will connect via 4G, and then use its 4G spectrum in those areas to provide a service equivalent to BT Infinity to areas where it has not yet, or cannot affordably, install FTTC/FTTP broadband.

I doubt it will be planning to allow mobile users access to it, at least in the short term, although plans could change given BT's purchase of EE.

BT might wish to imply it will offer users access though, and I'm sure many tech sites won't notice or ask the right questions. How many noticed you couldn't tether?

normal    345

Let us know how it goes. :)

One other thing which concerns me is that it doesn't seem suitable to take abroad. There's no roaming packages and data is......

SteveyAsp    41

Will do....I'm off to Bradford on Sunday to watch Ice Hockey and I usually watch streamed media on the coach so it'll be a good way of testing it.

For my personal use case neither tethering or roaming is an issue because I rarely do both.

ferret1979    9

I had a BT Openreach engineer visit today for a broadband fault, and his work number had just ported to a BT sim.

He didn't realise at this stage, that BT are an MVNO at the moment.

He didn't think much of the old provider (Vodafone).

Steve - Did you get a nano sim?