normal

What's Happening at Google Thread

hal    120

I've been trying some of the equivalent apps on an older android (which was slow and clunky and annoying but won't be like that in Pixel) and they're pretty good. Email is far far better. No comparison.

Coming out of Apple ecosystem might be a bind - less so for me and more so for family and friends who've strenuously objected! (iMessage....)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rvn    103

The only apple app I'd miss is facetime. I still don't see apple apps as any different to Android except Gmail.

hal    120
What makes it better?

Generally, I have found that email apps are a bit more featured filled, flexible and robust on android (I've tested a few over the past few days) - they can do more background operations for starters and tend to be integrated better into exchange in terms of how they function.

More specifically, we've got a very limited number of approved and managed email apps and the ones on iOS we're allowed are rubbish (stock Apple mail and a managed container app that doesn't update properly, with spotty notifications, poor exchange functionality compared to desktop Outlook and so on); by comparison, although a similarly limited number of android apps permitted, and they're uglier in use, they just work - notifications, reconciliation, functionality (calendar invites, headers, proper attachments, proper background refresh), and email formatting (not having every bloody email with a signature rendered in tiny tiny tiny 3PT font....).

Love iOS otherwise and can put up with its limitations but the corp side is sadly a big deal for me.

So it's a reluctant move if I go ahead with it...!

Rvn    103
What makes it better?

What hal said. It took me months (with hal's help) to find an email app on IOS close to being as effective to use as stock Gmail on Android.

normal    346

Never realised exchange was such an issue on iOS. I use Spark email app and can't find a good one like it on Android. (I use easily do mail in the background to add some Google like smart functionality)

hal    120

...Although Spark is coming to Android also.

Outside of Gmail, which is relatively well catered for on ios, iOS has always had pretty poor EAS support. Plus because of how sandboxed it is and how background processes are so limited, it struggles with a lot of good 3rd party apps. It's a shame as it's far and away the most popular corporate platform now in law firms after legacy BB.

For example the same app on ios that I am trying on android can't do push notifications or proper background refresh!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

RobM    195

I ended up buying a Pixel (not XL) to replace my S7 Edge. No regrets, despite the lack of wireless charging, which is an irritant.

iOS and Android have reached a point where there is no real quality difference between them when judged as a whole. Each has things they do better than the other - customisation, email, background tasks, automation are better on Android; calendar, simplicity, iMessage are better on iOS - but overall, they're the same standard. Even the apps have reached parity in most cases.

Not once, over the Samsung and Pixel experience, have I regretted leaving iOS. Previously I was the same as others have said; I'd leave iOS for Android, enjoy it, get annoyed, go back to iOS. I can't find a single reason to do that now.

Stuclark    70

Just to highjack slightly, I've done a fair bit of testing of various Android email apps, and the one I keep coming back to (for EAS functionality; it doesn't do IMAP / POP3) is Nine

hal    120
Just to highjack slightly, I've done a fair bit of testing of various Android email apps, and the one I keep coming back to (foe EAS functionality; it doesn't do IMAP / POP3) is Nine

I tried that also - but it is not approved by our Infosec people (even though supported on our MDM). I think it is hands down the best one by a country mile. I was very impressed.

I am also heartened to see they're working on an iOS client!