normal

What's Happening at Google Thread

jonmorris    184

I agree that the phone, a bit like Nexus phones, is a bit 'meh' and while some sites say it has been exceeding expectations sales-wise (funny that local EE stores don't seem to have sold that many) but the camera IS special.

And get a case for it, a nice screen protector, and it becomes an anonymous phone that is just like any Nexus phone before it - understated, but fast and free of bloat. Still too damn costly though!

Here's a panoramic photo made in Google Photos from a few Pixel XL shots. There's a lot of detail in that for sure.

https://goo.gl/photos/THHwBA2DdDbhYfxZ7

Shame it was such a dull overcast day.

(As you might have seen on Twitter, that photo got me stopped by security and then later stopped by two PCSOs..!)

kradcliffe    153

Just as well you weren't overlooking a primary school or you'd be as famous as Cliff Richard by now :)

It's really sad that people in this country now feel the need to report someone for taking a bloody photo.

jonmorris    184

Just as well you weren't overlooking a primary school or you'd be as famous as Cliff Richard by now :)

It's really sad that people in this country now feel the need to report someone for taking a bloody photo.

It was all about terrorism, although they kept saying they didn't think I was a terrorist. Well, for one, if I was out taking photos of store rooms and the like, I'd be a bit more discrete so they wouldn't spot me.

Taking a photo from a car park roof (and not jumping off, as I might have understood them being concerned about) doesn't seem to tick the terrrorism box, but I guess you can't argue with it unless you want it to come over as letting the terrorists win.

But, for me, the terrorists have already won once people stop you taking photographs..

And, yes, the security guard did mention protection of children. Maybe there was a child in that photo, but I think they're pretty safe. Another, frankly, ridiculous excuse.

I have had an apology since, but they're still insisting that I get permission even if I want to take a photo of any friends or family within the building 'just to be on the safe side'! The two responses each say it's part of their protocol and for the safety of guests....

Milhouse    355

@Jon: In future, just tell them to fark off. No seriously. OK, maybe language that wouldn't get you arrested for a breach of the peace, but words to that effect.

Unless they have reason to suspect you of being a terrorist, and they obviously don't, then they have absolutely no right to stop you from taking a photograph. Or even suggesting you "get permission beforehand" - you don't need anyone's permission to take a photograph in a public space.

This is an abuse of their powers, an erosion of our civil liberties, entirely through ignorance (theirs, not yours). At least I assume it's ignorance, as they could just be thinking they're Billy Big Bollox and throwing their weight around as they have nothing better to do, like be out arresting actual criminals.

Freedom to photograph and film

Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel.

Metropolitan Police Photography Advice

jonmorris    184

@Jon: In future, just tell them to fark off. No seriously. OK, maybe language that wouldn't get you arrested for a breach of the peace, but words to that effect.

Unless they have reason to suspect you of being a terrorist, and they obviously don't, then they have absolutely no right to stop you from taking a photograph. Or even suggesting you "get permission beforehand" - you don't need anyone's permission to take a photograph in a public space.

This is an abuse of their powers, an erosion of our civil liberties, entirely through ignorance (theirs, not yours). At least I assume it's ignorance, as they could just be thinking they're Billy Big Bollox and throwing their weight around as they have nothing better to do, like be out arresting actual criminals.

Metropolitan Police Photography Advice

It was private property so they're sadly entitled to come up with whatever ridiculous rules they want, and I don't have much choice.

But the PCSOs should have known better when saying they would stop me anywhere (even on a public street), but of course they have a very loose knowledge of the law and it's one reason why I really have little time for PCSOs and wish we'd just pay a bit more for a fully qualified police officer with full knowledge and actual powers.

I am seriously thinking of requesting permission to take photos every time I visit, or plan to visit. Maybe even when I am not actually going to visit. Maybe an email every day or two...?

MeKeV    98

Heroic efforts on the photo comparison Jon!

The pixel is very good, does particularly well on the Tussaud's series. despite neither of them having ois.

Still the Honor comes out of it looking incredible value, yet again. Quite tempting even.

Any comments on just the experience of the two? Responsiveness, shot to shot speeds and from pocket to shot speeds?

jonmorris    184

The Honor 8 is very quick as I set the Smart Key to fire the camera up with a tap, but the Pixel XL is as quick with a double tap of the power button. Ultimately, there's little difference.

Autofocus on the Pixel XL is stupidly fast, although it did fail a couple of times. There's not a lot in it though.

The Honor 8 (or P9) have many more camera modes, including manual modes and the night shot feature. The Pixel camera app is incredibly basic. Yes you can use a third party camera app, but from what I saw when I tried Camera FV5, you lose all of the benefits of HDR+ which, besides perhaps making some photos look a little odd, combines multiple shots to reduce noise and improve detail.

What Google needs to do is update the camera app and make it, well, decent. Forget trying to be simple like Apple and make it more like what you'd get on almost any other Android phone. 

hal    120

Combined with a bit of Apple malaise following their recent ecosystem and connectivity decisions, I've been thinking of a Pixel. Saw reviews from Vlad Slavov of Verge. He took some excellent low light shots with it that I don't believe the iPhone 7 could accomplish easily, and even said this is the first phone he's had that is better than an iPhone. (And he seems pretty balanced as a reviewer in terms of ecosystem, hardware, services - neither a fanboy of one nor of the other.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satsuma    178

This is the photo. Not bad for a point and click phone moment:

https://twitter.com/vladsavov/status/791774827107520520

Jeez that's an amazing photo !

Still don't the XL justifies the price though.

But I am sure next year's Pixel XL probably will do in terms of hardware and features.

Having said that Apple will have have moved to a brand new ID by then.

jonmorris    184

The biggest problem with the Pixel phones is the price, and it sounds like you've done well there!

The camera is amazing. Use HDR+ in low light (not auto) and you'll easily get photos as good as the above. You can't really NOT get a good photo.

MeKeV    98

Have been playing with the Mrs' and.....I really want one now.

Surprised that I think I'd probably be happy with the none XL version too. I was expecting to think it was too small for me.

Now just to find another good deal.

RobM    195

I've come close to buying the Pixel a few times, the only things holding me back is the price (it's the reason I moved away from iPhones) and the lack of wireless charging, which I can live without but is a backwards step from my S7 Edge and I'm not sure, given the price, there are enough benefits to outweigh that.

hal    120

I think I am going to take the plunge - despite the lack of waterproofing.

My work email is dreadful on the managed iPhone apps they offer (basically unusable), so I am probably going Android. Will be very weird after all this time - particularly leaving iMessage and the  ecosystem - but looking forward to the flexibility!

Majed    51
I think I am going to take the plunge - despite the lack of waterproofing.

My work email is dreadful on the managed iPhone apps they offer (basically unusable), so I am probably going Android. Will be very weird after all this time - particularly leaving iMessage and the  ecosystem - but looking forward to the flexibility!

Good luck, I find it really good fun when using Android after a while away.
You find out all the customisation on offer and you start wondering why don't iOS offer this sort of experience?!
A few days later, you'll miss using your iPhone as your main and only phone!
Sad but true experience for me every single time I retry Android.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk

normal    346

I have to agree with Majed. Flexibility is great, but simplicity and overall quality of apps lets Android down.